Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
waymire01
waymire01 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
New version reader skips pages

I have used Calibre exclusively (other than my Kindle books) for many years. I never bothered to update it. It never gave me one second worth of trouble. I recently had a computer crash and downloaded the software for my new one which gave me the most up to date version which the entire layout has changed for. Now every single book I read.. usually I read Epub but it happens regardless of format.. skips a page almost every single time I turn the page. At least 2 out of 3 turns. It does this whether or not I use an arrow key, or my mouse. It only does it going forward in the book, backward works fine. I have to back up.. and then go forward again to get to the page that was skipped. This is beyond annoying, it's making reading miserable. I've tried adjusting every single setting I can find... I've tried updating the software.. nothing works. I'm on Windows 10. Please help.. and explain for someone who is not a computer programmer. If I can't fix it I'm going to have to try to find a new program and I don't even know where to start with that.
waymire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What version of calibre are you using? And do you have multiple pages per screen? On what operating system?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #3
waymire01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What version of calibre are you using? And do you have multiple pages per screen? On what operating system?
version 5.14. When I went to look at the version it says it wants to update to 5.16, I will do that but it didn't help the last times I updated it. I'm only using the reader to read one book at a time, just one page at a time. Windows 10
Old 04-17-2021, 11:39 PM   #4
waymire01

I completed the update to 5.16. It still skips the page.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:23 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry no clue then. I cannot reproduce. You can try attaching one of the books you see this issue with and I will see if I can reproduce.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
waymire01

It's every single book, regardless of the source.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #7
waymire01

Is there a way to reinstall the old version, before the formatting was changed? It worked perfectly then.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
waymire01

Nevermind, I found a link for 3.48... clunky but actually works. Pages turn with no issue. Really should just leave things alone that work perfectly fine instead of breaking them with unnecessary updates. Creating problems no one knows how to fix. Pretty sad something made for Windows 7 works better than the "improvement".
Old 04-18-2021, 07:09 AM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by waymire01 View Post
Pretty sad something made for Windows 7 works better than the "improvement".
Since you are the first person to report the problem, and the developer was unable to reproduce, it's almost certain the cause of the problem is specific to your setup, it's not a Calibre fault per se.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by waymire01 View Post
Nevermind, I found a link for 3.48... clunky but actually works. Pages turn with no issue. Really should just leave things alone that work perfectly fine instead of breaking them with unnecessary updates. Creating problems no one knows how to fix. Pretty sad something made for Windows 7 works better than the "improvement".
Updating is necessary for those of us with dedicated ereaders. Calibre must be updated to work with a newly released device. Of course that's not the only reason for updating.

You don't have to update if you don't want to, no one will force you. And you can always install an old version if the new one doesn't work for you. But demanding that Kovid cease to update and develop a program used by millions because you had an issue is a bit much.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope you realize that because you used Calibre 5.x, you changed the database format and you will eventually have errors using Calibre 3.48. So you have two choices. Update to the current Calibre 5 or update to Calibre 4.23 (last pre-5 version that's compatible with the version 5 database).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
waymire01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope you realize that because you used Calibre 5.x, you changed the database format and you will eventually have errors using Calibre 3.48. So you have two choices. Update to the current Calibre 5 or update to Calibre 4.23 (last pre-5 version that's compatible with the version 5 database).
The 5.x was uninstalled and the older version installed fresh. Per the directions on the Calibre website.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
waymire01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Since you are the first person to report the problem, and the developer was unable to reproduce, it's almost certain the cause of the problem is specific to your setup, it's not a Calibre fault per se.
I'm far from the only person having issues. The numerous pleas for help found from a simple Google search is how I wound up here in the first place.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
waymire01

Odd page-jumps in Calibre-converted files? - MobileRead ...
https://www.mobileread.com › forums › showthread
Mar 13, 2013 — Reading page 40. Swipe finger right-to-left to go to next page/paragraph. See next paragraph text, but bottom of page says '5'. Swipe finger ...
Skipping pages...? - MobileRead Forums
Jun 9, 2012
Calibre's viewer scrolling problem on laptop - MobileRead ...
Nov 22, 2019
ePub to Mobi with Calibre: cover is skipped when opening ...
Apr 26, 2011
Reader Skipping Pages - MobileRead Forums
Mar 25, 2011
More results from www.mobileread.com

Users Hate Calibre 4.0's New eBook Viewer | The Digital ...
https://the-digital-reader.com › Posts
Oct 6, 2019 — What that means is that the new viewer is missing the left sidebar menu ... I miss the page numbers (rather than a %), the easy fast search for a ...

Skips from 5% to 98%? : Calibre - Reddit
https://www.reddit.com › Calibre › comments › kqupcy
I downloaded a .mobi file and I can't scroll past the first few pages before it drops me straight to the end! I can't flip pages either. It's almost as if it's reading the ...

Calibre's viewer scrolling problem on laptop - 2 - MobileRead
http://www.mobileread.mobi › ... › Calibre › Viewer
Jul 4, 2020 · 5 posts
Calibre's viewer scrolling problem on laptop ... I get to the end of the chapter, at one point it skips the last page and move on to the next chapter.
Odd page-jumps in Calibre-converted files?
14 posts
Mar 13, 2013