Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Joe McPlumber
Joe McPlumber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Server Documentation?

Hi,

I want to have my library available all the time, and since i already have Apache running all the time i wonder if i could make an alias for (wherever the heck the content server root is) rather than having two webservers running at once.

I'm sure there's detailed documentation for the content server somewhere but i can't find it. So i'd be grateful for either pointers for accomplishing what i want to do or links to relevant docs.

Thanks,
- joe
Joe McPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I doubt it - the Calibre Content server does a lot more than simply passively deliver up content. I also think that the web serv er is tightly bound to the remainder of the logic.

The only documentation there is that I can think of simply tells you the command to run the Content-server (calibre-server). It does not give you an ything that might be of use in trying to host it inside another server.

If it is possible to run under Apache, then you might want to look up how CherryPy manages this as that is the web server framework that is used within Calibre.

Last edited by itimpi; 07-05-2010 at 02:23 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McPlumber View Post
I want to have my library available all the time, and since i already have Apache running all the time i wonder if i could make an alias for (wherever the heck the content server root is) rather than having two webservers running at once.
Itimpi has the right of it.

Calibre does not serve static pages, but instead implements active content. Each page is generated on demand from the database. This means that in apache terms, calibre must be a module or support CGI. It isn't the first and doesn't do the second.

It would be possible to build a CGI interface to calibre so that it could be integrated into other web servers, but it wouldn't be trivial to do.

As itimpi says, it might be easier to adapt cherrypy to run as a module. The page http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/ModPython discusses how one might approach this. Again, the implementation isn't trivial (calibre's initialization would change a lot), but it should be possible.

Perhaps someone with the need would be willing to take on either project.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What's your objection to running two webservers? The memory footprint is the same. Performance might be slightly reverse because of the need for reverse proxying, but not noticeably so.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Joe McPlumber
Joe McPlumber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's your objection to running two webservers? The memory footprint is the same. Performance might be slightly reverse because of the need for reverse proxying, but not noticeably so.
Hadn't thought of it that way, i was thinking of it as yet another process and i'm trying to keep them to a minimum. Now you mention it i don't reckon it makes a lot of difference except to my sensibilities. Just, ya know, trying to keep things organized. Only not at the expense of my sanity.

But since i'm here, maybe someone could tell me exactly how to run the Calibre server? I run calibre-server.exe and it gives me a console window, which upsets my sensibilities as well.

Also we've got two libraries ATM on two different computers, neither will display their full contents in Stanza, but will in a browser. I see no rhyme or reason for which books fail to display. Is this a question deserving of its own thread?

Thanks again,
- joe
Joe McPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert