DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The Copia

An e-reader to be released in this summer. www.thecopia.com
Have any thoughts on it???
What are the issues you see with it?
I have a Sony PRS-505 and would be somewhat interested in something with Wi-Fi and/or 3G. But love the clarity and ease that I have with 505. I am not interested in anything backlit, for me that would defeat the purpose. My favorite thing on the 505 is the grouping in collections as well as epub and pdf. I dont have to upgrade but keep an eye out because my daughter has become somewhat interested recently and I discovered that the 505 is no longer available. I saw this one and didn't see any threads on it here.
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
There aren't many details on the site and a lot of the links that look liek you can get more info are to email them - granted, I did not download the 15 meg press kit but ...

"... the world’s first social reading experience..." - I'm not sure that those go together as well as say chocolate and peanut butter.

On the other hand it looks like the readers are primarily for books while the "community" is accessed via computer. If that is the case however why not just access your social networking sites on your own instead of going through the community.

If you can access them through the readers themselves it will be slightly more functional but I, personally, dont understand the appeal of being able to post to my facebook page while I'm reading.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Although I don't quite see how their social networking idea will meld with an e-reader, I have a wait and see attitude - maybe they're onto something.
But, I do have to chuckle/wonder about all the social networking stuff that's going on. From BluRay players to e-readers to midlevel paper supply companies? It just seems like it's all a bit of marketing run amok.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
BlueMonkey
Evangelist
BlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it is

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Nexus S
Seeing how other companies are struggling with the release of ONE eBook reader, I reallly think it's brave that they are planning to release SIX devices in one go - even more as they have different input methods and this close connection to the social networks.

But why not give them a chance - social aspects often have been underestimated these days...
BlueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
DebT
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone...I was hoping someone may have found the supported formats. But the info is good. I am not looking to get rid of my 505 really, but I think the social aspects of this new one will be a bonus for my 15 year old.
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebT View Post
Thanks everyone...I was hoping someone may have found the supported formats. But the info is good. I am not looking to get rid of my 505 really, but I think the social aspects of this new one will be a bonus for my 15 year old.
I was interested in The Copia too so I did some research: this thread gives you some more details on the device: it supports all major formats and is priced at $199 for 6" devices, and $299 for 9" devices.

Last edited by citac; 01-14-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot the link
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
DebT
Enthusiast

oh wonderful....THANKYOU! She is very interested in it.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Check out Nate the Great's thread on Copia from CES. There are a couple of video links in that thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I wonder if the 9 inch device is so inexpensive because of the sipix panel or if thre will be some kind of subscription..
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The devices say ePaper;they seem to be eInk.

They say, "Which do you prefer, tactile keyboard or touch screen? Either way, Copia has you covered." But they seem to only offer one keyboard; two designs are marked "touch." Wonder if that means only the Tidals have input/searchability, and the Ocean line doesn't. (Except the Oceans have wifi, and the Tidal6 --the only one with a keyboard--doesn't say it has wifi.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The devices say ePaper;they seem to be eInk.
They will be using the new SiPix screens, like Jinke (CES pre-announcement from Jinke ).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I asked this in the other thread, but I hope it doesn't hurt to ask here too: do any of you know if they will be available in countries other than the US? If they will, I'd be willing to wait until April and maybe even set aside some more money for one.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
DebT
Enthusiast

I have not heard about international availability. Sorry.