Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #61
jkhii
jkhii began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
Now I'm not sure what to read next. Retief, maybe? Or Thraxas? Someone help, lol.
My wife likes Retief, I like Thraxas. I can't say which is better because neither of us has read both.
jkhii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
Finished reading the Lord Darcy collection tonight, and it was FANTASTIC. I absolutely loved it! Completely recommended for anyone who likes to read, for sure.
the more i hear the more i'm looking forward to it. still reading Monsieur Lecoq for the moment, but i think Lord Darcy is at the top of my list for next... thanks for the review !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #63
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Not also that James H. Schmitz has a few mystery stories, and Keith Laumer, off the top of my head.

Thraxas is heaps of fun as mentioned earlier.

Lord Darcy probably is a good starting place if you like some of those old school investigator upper crust types.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Not also that James H. Schmitz has a few mystery stories
Well, a lot of science fiction have some puzzle to solve but I would not call them mysteries. I really like James H. Schmitz but the stories does not read as mysteries. They are more adventure stories.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #65
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, a lot of science fiction have some puzzle to solve but I would not call them mysteries. I really like James H. Schmitz but the stories does not read as mysteries. They are more adventure stories.
Schmitz also wrote a number of well-respected mysteries (not SF). Titles escape me at the moment, though.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #66
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not what I said. There are a few mystery stories. I did _not_ say all Schmitz was relevant.

e.g.

http://www.webscription.net/chapters...0743435591.htm

See down around 'Time for Crime' where Flint singles out the few that are.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #67
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not what I said. There are a few mystery stories. I did _not_ say all Schmitz was relevant.

e.g.

thank you blue tyson ! i'll add that to my list as well !
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #68
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:

e.g.

Aha, I had missed that. Is he link really correct? I cannot find "Time for Crime" on this page.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #69
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Aha, I had missed that. Is he link really correct? I cannot find "Time for Crime" on this page.
yes, i was looking also on the site and i couldn't find that one, do you have a direct link to it ?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #70
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Red Heroin by Jerry Pournelle is a straight-up spy thriller(?) with no SF at all. There's a sequel, Red Dragon.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #71
zelda_pinwheel

thanks igorsk ! those look pretty good.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #72
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Quote:
Here's the contents for Eternal Frontier, sorry if link was wrong : -

Back | Next
Eternal Frontier
Table of Contents
Adventures in Time and Space
The Big Terrarium
Summer Guests
Captives of the Thieve-Star
Caretaker
One Step Ahead
Left Hand, Right Hand
Homo Excelsior
The Ties of Earth
Spacemaster
The Altruist
Oneness
Dark Visions
We Don't Want Any Trouble
Just Curious
Would You?
These Are the Arts
Clean Slate
Time for Crime
Crime Buff
Ham Sandwich
Where the Time Went
An Incident on Route 12
Swift Completion
Faddist
The Eternal Frontiers
Afterword
James H. Schmitz Chronography

Back | Next
Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #73
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Also, dug up the right link for the above, the frame thing is a bit tricky apparently, and there's a separate toc html page

http://www.webscription.net/chapters...435591_toc.htm

My apologies.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #74
zelda_pinwheel

thanks for the updated link, blue tyson. i'll take a look at that.

Tags
baen, mystery