Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Miss Dove
Miss Dove began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook Pro
Question Getting eBooks OFF of the Rocket eBook

Hello. I am new to this forum; I am looking for help getting a book off of my Rocket eBook Pro. I think it is a 1000. I have several newer ebooks (CyBook, iRex iLiad) but I have one book on the Rocket eBook that I apparently did not back up on my computer. Rocket Librarian links to it and says it is syncronizing with the REB, but I cannot figure out how to get the title OFF of the ebook so I can convert it (or back it up). It is the only book left on it. Can anyone help? Thanks!! dgray@ix.netcom.com
Miss Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
bump!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dove View Post
Hello. I am new to this forum; I am looking for help getting a book off of my Rocket eBook Pro. I think it is a 1000. I have several newer ebooks (CyBook, iRex iLiad) but I have one book on the Rocket eBook that I apparently did not back up on my computer. Rocket Librarian links to it and says it is syncronizing with the REB, but I cannot figure out how to get the title OFF of the ebook so I can convert it (or back it up). It is the only book left on it. Can anyone help? Thanks!! dgray@ix.netcom.com
The Synchronize feature only appears to work with the annotations you have made to a book, and only the actual annotations file, as far as I can tell (I've got the same model - you put it in the cradle, and the interface is an old serial port, right?) I've never actually used the annotations, so I have no experience.

If you could examine the source code of the Rocket Librarian, you might be able to find the part that copies the annotation file, and then steer it towards the actual book file instead. But I'm not a programmer, and wouldn't know how to find the right info.

What book are you trying to get off the Rocket? almost all mine are from sources that I can download again, because I stopped buying encrypted books.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
vbu
vbu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi,

When I was still using my rocket ebook pro, all the books I uploaded to the device were placed in a sub-folder of the rocket librarian software on my pc. IIRC the filenames were made up of long string of letters and numbers. If you still have access to this folder you should see the files that are listed in the librarian.

HTH

Ver
vbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Miss Dove
Miss Dove began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook Pro
Getting ebook off of Rocket

The book I have been trying to get off is a version of "John Adams," by David McCullough. I don't remember what website I bought it from and can't download it again. I thought I had backed it up on my PC but can't find it. So, the version on the Rocket is the only one I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Miss Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dove View Post
The book I have been trying to get off is a version of "John Adams," by David McCullough. I don't remember what website I bought it from and can't download it again. I thought I had backed it up on my PC but can't find it. So, the version on the Rocket is the only one I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.
That one might be easier. Look at the book in your Rocket, and examine all the copyright pages. I'd bet there are references in that to the electronic typesetter, which is different than the publisher. For example, Fictionwise also distributes books for several other smaller electronic sources. Each one I've looked at has both a Fictionwise tag AND a reference to the electronic source that packaged it up, e.g. all the Ed Howdershelt books I've gotten are from Fictionwise, but they have references to Abintra Press, which is the source that typeset the electronic edition.

This might at least tell you where you *might* have gotten it from.

Hmm, just did a search on Fictionwise, and that book is available in encrypted versions only( and at hardback prices too - ugh). As far as I know, there are no longer any commercial sources of Rocket encrypted works - I bought one or two through Powell's Books and some others from Embiid, (Powell's no longer offers Rocket, and Embiid is no longer in business.) (which is one reason I stopped buying any!)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote