Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
HerrB
HerrB began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
M92 User Manual?

Hello there,

Wouldn't a manual be a terribly nice thing to have? I see lots of useful information flying about here in the forum, that, if gathered together and easily accessible, could reach even further.

Could be a shared effort. Maybe on github? Or on a wiki like system where things could quickly be updated and edited.

Would people be interested? Or is there one that I am not aware of?

Cheers,
J

P.S.: busy times -- I still haven't installed 1.8
HerrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Hi!

I was about to propose the same thing for the i62HD some days ago, but as I haven't ordered mine yet, I thought I was being a bit overenthusiastic. So I'm glad you said it!

To generate the manual I would vote for the wiki, as it is very easy and quick to edite it.

I think it would be very nice to have a sticky post for each model (i62 and M92) with the main information. It could be the one for the firmware updates, but adding a link to the wiki pages:[1] for the M92 and [2] for the i62 (maybe update it with the information of the i62HD? or create a new page?). And then each wiki page should link to the manual, which as you said could be created as a shared effort between users.

I think this would both be helpful for the current Boox owners and also for those who are considering buying one.

Regards.

[1] https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92
[2] https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_i62
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Gagarin Gambit
Gagarin Gambit began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx i62HD
I quite agree, Onyx readers are outstanding as far as hardware is concerned, but they don't simply work, you need to discover their capabilities on your own. That's why a good manual would be very useful.

About the i62HD, there's this manual which comes close:
http://www.onyx-boox.ru/files/ONYX_B..._MANUAL_en.pdf
However, it's referring to a slightly different model, it's outdated since the firmware has changed significantly, and the author's English is pathetic. But it might be a starting point.
Gagarin Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
I agree for one manual for both devices, because software differences are very few, and mark when is valid only for one reader.

but I have to admit that is quite exalting to find by chance new functionalities
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Hey, I think it's a great idea-- it becomes hard to sort through the threads and even figure out what's current and what's not. I'm happy to help with editing for clarity, grammar, etc. I think there should be a core group of at least about ten committed users though, to ensure quality and up to date accuracy. Otherwise it will just be one more confusing resource for the Boox...
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Yes, you're right. A good manual would be a very welcome addition, specially since some options are not obvious at all.
Anyway this is Onyx's product and it's they who should provide a manual to customers. The M92 contains a manual but it's quite outdated.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Here is the starting point. Please contribute It is a wiki, everyone can edit it.

I suggest salvaging the old manual's content and adding descriptions of extras that were provided in the new firmware.

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 09-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
machinogodzilla, can I suggest a help? I am writing in English badly, but I have a picture (for some elements) better. Here take a look:

machinogodzilla, можно предложить помощь? Я плохо пишу по английски, но фото у меня есть (для некоторых элементов) лучше. Тут посмотрите:
http://yadi.sk/d/Hdurctx-4Neta (My instructions for the "New PDF-Reader") (моя инструкция для программы "Новый PDF-ридер")
http://yadi.sk/d/x6HDEh0V8fHft
http://yadi.sk/d/2F0VZLQD8fJD7

Maybe something will approach?

Может что-нибудь подойдёт?

Last edited by Kirith; 09-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Hi Kirith,

Your pictures are waaaay better than my crude mobile phone camera snaps :-) I will definitely replace mine with yours, thanks. Where did you get them from? Also there seem to be slight differences, what M92 firmware version are your screenshots from?

Once the English manual is ready you could copy it over to another page on the wiki and translate to Russian (perhaps with some help from other Russian speakers) instead of writing it locally on your pc.

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 09-04-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
page settings picture, in pdfreader, is old. New pdfreader has new features there,
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
machinogodzilla
Addict

The pictures come from my reader which is 1.8.20130425 firmware version. What version are you using? Is pdfreader versioned in any way too? Where can I check it?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Where did you get them from? Also there seem to be slight differences, what M92 firmware version are your screenshots from?
If you are writing a manual, you should know an undocumented function - pressing the a button within 5 seconds "vol +" or "vol -" creates a screenshot of the screen. (color )
The point is not in the version of the firmware, and patch number 3 (multitasking) installed atop.

Если Вы пишете инструкцию, то должны знать недокументированную функцию - нажатие в течении 5 сек клавиши "vol+" или "vol -" создаёт скриншот экрана. (цветной )
Суть не в версии прошивке, а в патче №3 (многозадачность) установленным поверх.
Quote:
Once the English manual is ready you could copy it over to another page on the wiki and translate to Russian (perhaps with some help from other Russian speakers) instead of writing it locally on your pc.
At me now absolutely do not have time. Soon, I'll take it over. Thank you.

У меня сейчас абсолютно нет времени. В скором времени я за это возьмусь. Спасибо.
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
machinogodzilla
Addict

That's a neat trick, thank you, will put it into the manual of course :-)

Hopefully it's not just *me* writing the manual but *us* (as in M92 users for other M92 users) writing the manual collectively, especially the bits in red are calling for others' attention
Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirith View Post
If you are writing a manual, you should know an undocumented function - pressing the a button within 5 seconds "vol +" or "vol -" creates a screenshot of the screen. (color )
The point is not in the version of the firmware, and patch number 3 (multitasking) installed atop.
Hi Kirith,
Sorry, but I can't see what's "the a button" ... could you explain ?
Thanks.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Presumably bad google translation It's supposed to be: pressing the "vol +" (or "vol -", it works with both) button for 5 seconds creates a screenshot of the screen. The screenshot will be saved as a png file in a directory called "snapshot" on your SD card (filename "snapshot_*.png" with ascending numbers).
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote