Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
hombre
hombre began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
Jobs running continually

I have had Calibre for years, never a problem. I recently downloaded version 0.9.37 and now, when I connect my Kindle Fire HD it detects it OK but 2 jobs instantly start running. One is 100% finished. The second one runs for approx. 2 mins 40 secs and then completes. However, nothing shows up on my Kindle. When I ask for details of the jobs it says "no details available". I cannot stop the jobs either.
I have uninstalled Calibre and then downloaded again but the problem persists.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance.
hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre View Post
I have had Calibre for years, never a problem. I recently downloaded version 0.9.37 and now, when I connect my Kindle Fire HD it detects it OK but 2 jobs instantly start running. One is 100% finished. The second one runs for approx. 2 mins 40 secs and then completes. However, nothing shows up on my Kindle. When I ask for details of the jobs it says "no details available". I cannot stop the jobs either.
I have uninstalled Calibre and then downloaded again but the problem persists.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance.
the 1st (finished) job was detecting your device

The second is scanning it for books on the device.
If you kill this, the list never completes and Metadata.calibre (the list of last known books) never gets saved on your device and a full scan (and read BOOK metadata) starts over.
If you don't care to have calibre show what is on the device (BTW not recommended), you can disable (remove tick) 'Automatic Metadata management') in the Save to <model> Device setting
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
hombre

Thank you so much for your response. One more question. The right hand column which shows the synopsis of all books is in very fine print. How can I increase the font?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much for your response. One more question. The right hand column which shows the synopsis of all books is in very fine print. How can I increase the font?
The Right (or sometimes bottom) it The Book Details pane (toggle is the book icon in the lower right) .
There are 2 portions of this:
Calibre metadata
and the
actual comments (entered while in the Metadata Edit which is where YOU control the styling)

There is a preference: Look and Feel: General to control the Calibre Interface font (not sure how much in details gets affected)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
hombre

Once again...many thanks. I posted in a new thread as I thought maybe thats what I had to do. Please ignore new thread.
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The right hand column which shows the synopsis of all books is in very fine print. How can I increase the font?
You can adjust the font size for the comments in the book details pane by going to Preferences - Tweaks and changing the below tweak to something that works for you.

Quote:
# Change the font size of book details in the interface

change_book_details_font_size_by = 4
Make sure you click Apply (lower right) after making a change then click the green Apply check mark (top left) to finalize the tweak. Then you must restart calibre for it to take effect.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-02-2013 at 11:41 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
m31starman
m31starman began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
the 1st (finished) job was detecting your device

The second is scanning it for books on the device.
If you kill this, the list never completes and Metadata.calibre (the list of last known books) never gets saved on your device and a full scan (and read BOOK metadata) starts over.
If you don't care to have calibre show what is on the device (BTW not recommended), you can disable (remove tick) 'Automatic Metadata management') in the Save to <model> Device setting
I have the same problem with my asus android tablet. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do what you suggest? I'm not sure how to do it.
m31starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

1) connect device
2) wait till it is detected
3) Note the Device (driver) name at the bottom of Calibre
4) force a USB disconnect (since you said it never completes and you cant do step 5 with jobs running)
5) Preferences: Plugins: Device Interface: <the name noted in step 3> (Android?): Customize PI (button): remove the tick from Read Metadata

Note: Not tested I can't use this driver with XP (no MTP support)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
m31starman

Not Yet

Quote:
1) connect device
4) force a USB disconnect (since you said it never completes and you cant do step 5 with jobs running)
5) Preferences: Plugins: Device Interface: <the name noted in step 3> (Android?): Customize PI (button): remove the tick from Read Metadata

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately as soon as I force a disconnect Calibre stops working and closes.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I am guessing you have an MTP device. Enumerating files on MTP devices is very slow. Your best bet is to move most of the files of your device using windows explorer, then connect with calibre, then right click on the device icon and select customize device and tell calibre to only scan one or two folders on the device. then move your files back.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
m31starman

Asus Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I am guessing you have an MTP device. Enumerating files on MTP devices is very slow. Your best bet is to move most of the files of your device using windows explorer, then connect with calibre, then right click on the device icon and select customize device and tell calibre to only scan one or two folders on the device. then move your files back.
When I connect the "get list" job starts immediately and locks me out of everything. Message says that I can't do that while it is communication with the device. Job window will not let me stop an active job where the device is concerned. I tried configuring the mtp driver plugin and get the same message. I have too many files to move......it seems like it is even scanning the system files.........runs for about an hour and then errors out. Device is then disconnected. If I try to disconnect the usb then calibre crashes. Need a way to stop the "get list" job.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
1) connect device

I had this problem when I was on vacation and had to plugin my device to my laptop. It took 45 minutes for it to finish scanning my device.

I just added a few folders to the scanned folders list to check this out and it doesn't help. I guess if you have an MTP device it ignores what you change in the Android plugin? When I tried to disconnect USB in Windows (eject MTP) Calibre crashes
Spoiler:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: calibre.exe
Application Version: 1.2.0.0
Application Timestamp: 52295e85
Fault Module Name: wpd.pyd
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 52295e7b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000031fb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

How does Calibre decide what folders to scan? It recently added my goomanager folder to the list and I had to deselect it. When it took so long on my laptop it had my TitaniumBackup folder selected. If it didn't select too many folders automatically, it wouldn't be a problem.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mstarman: If you cannot move the files out, then you are out of luck.

@purple lady: You need to right click on the device in the calibre toolbar after it is connected and select configure, not configure the android plugin.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@mstarman: If you cannot move the files out, then you are out of luck.

@purple lady: You need to right click on the device in the calibre toolbar after it is connected and select configure, not configure the android plugin.
The only problem is you can't do that until the scan of your device is done. And if you have 10 - 15 gb that can take quite a while. Is there a way to default to not scan? How does Calibre decide what folders to scan the first time you connect?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The only problem is you can't do that until the scan of your device is done. And if you have 10 - 15 gb that can take quite a while. Is there a way to default to not scan? How does Calibre decide what folders to scan the first time you connect?
It scans all folders except certain well known names like Android, Samsung, videos, Music, pictures, etc.