Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Byron27
Byron27 began at the beginning.

Device: BrailleNote Apex or other accessible devices
I can post a book that doesn't work but it isn't one our OUR books so I'm not entirely sure if that will help us. It seems that all of the books from Google's free e-pub project work fine. I am working specifically with A Princess of Mars as my "example of a book that works". I have a Stephen King book that a co-worker gave me that doesn't work but the internal structure of that book is totally different from what ours looks like, so the reason the Stephen King book doesn't work may be completely different from why our books don't work. I could ask our publisher to create a dummy book with the same workflow as our books but since I don't have InDesign on my computer I'll have to contact her about making something for me.

Let me know if you want me to post A Princess of Mars and the Stephen King book. I have a feeling that won't fly since it's a copyrighted book.
Byron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Just replace the text by dummy text. Unless we get an exact replica codewise of a book with the problem, it is very hard to help you.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Byron27

What can I use to replace the text since I myself don't have InDesign? What about the chapter titles and reference links that give my title away? I wonder if someone could make a program that would keep the code in tact but replace the text in the book and in the code with blahblahblah's?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron27 View Post
What can I use to replace the text since I myself don't have InDesign? What about the chapter titles and reference links that give my title away? I wonder if someone could make a program that would keep the code in tact but replace the text in the book and in the code with blahblahblah's?
You don't need InDesign. Just unzip the ePub, extract the XML files and you can then edit them to make the changes very easily.

Do not use Sigil. It does change things.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #20
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need InDesign. Just unzip the ePub, extract the XML files and you can then edit them to make the changes very easily.
Exactly. Take a text editor and just replace the guts of the first chapter with paragraphs of lorem ipsum. Delete all the remaining chapters. When you're done, make sure the file actually still fails.

If it doesn't, then try doing a binary search—that is, delete half the content, see if the problem goes away, and if so, restore it and delete the other half of the content. Then take half of that and throw it away. See if the problem reproduces. If not, switch to the other half. Keep halving the content until you narrow it down to a small bit that causes the problem.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Byron27

Does it make a difference that the files in OEBPS are xhtml files and not xml files?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Byron27

I tried chopping the book into halves and loading it into the braillenote about 5 times and it never worked even when I only had one xhtml file in the OEBPS folder. I tried removing the CSS file, but that didn't work either. I would send you the book but due to confidentiality purposes I can't, and the title and author are all over the code. I tried beginning the task of editing the book but there's so much code to pour through to make it anonymous. The only thing I can think of is to get someone here who wants to tackle the situation to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Maybe then, I could have someone look into the code of the book to see if they can find any obvious problems. The other solution would be to have you guys send me some books and I can try them on the BrailleNote and if they also don't work then we can go from there.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
Byron27

Here's the book that we've been been using as an example of a book that works.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ws1...ed=0CDoQ6AEwAA
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #24
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quite frankly we cannot use a book that works. We need a book that doesn't work.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Byron27

Well, this book does not work in the BrailleNote either but the internal structure is completely different from our book which I can't share with everyone unless I replace everything identifying with Dummy Text, which looks like a ton of work. So hopefully the problem in this book happens to also be in our books.

Here's a book that throws the same "dependency, group, or policy failed to start" error.

book removed due to copyright issues.

Last edited by Byron27; 02-21-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron27 View Post
Does it make a difference that the files in OEBPS are xhtml files and not xml files?
If you change anything other then the text, then it won't be like it was when it failed. So don't change anything except the text.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You cannot share that book as it is not public domain or creative commons or free to give out. It's under copyright. You'll have to edit your message to remove the link.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you cannot show us the code, then there is nothing we can do.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
Byron27

I edited my post to take that URL out. Since none of you have a braillenote anyway there is probably little that can be done. I'll ask my employer if there is any way I can share part of the book. Maybe she'll consent to it if I take all but 1 chapter out. Thanks for putting up with me. I am struggling with this project as I am very new to e-books and know even less about the BrailleNote.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

We do not allow copyrighted books to be made available here, unless there is written consent from the copyright holder.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote