Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
A fully embedded font could be used after extraction by the books purchaser. A partly embedded one will most likely have too many "holes" to be of use for pretty everything than the book it was shipped within.
Given that some of the fonts are costly I understand that a font creator rather dislikes the idea of people getting potential access to a font worth X after having paid just a fraction of ot for an epub file.
Although in practise, this is a silly fear. It might have been valid once, when computer fonts first came in back in 1987 and digital distribution was harder. In 2012, when if you want a font without paying for it there are numerous pirate sites and torrents, worrying about your fonts being embedded in documents is silly.

Just like publishers and DRM, really.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I went looking for a missing (not in the book) font
What is ridiculous is the pricing:
$30 per font face or $120 for a standard set of normal, bold, italic,italic_bold
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #33
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Although in practise, this is a silly fear. It might have been valid once, when computer fonts first came in back in 1987 and digital distribution was harder. In 2012, when if you want a font without paying for it there are numerous pirate sites and torrents, worrying about your fonts being embedded in documents is silly.
And a sizeable number of FOSS font makers who just want attribution or a copy of what you did with their work.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #34
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
And a sizeable number of FOSS font makers who just want attribution or a copy of what you did with their work.
That is what I do when I need international glyphs (I work for a commercial publishing house). I embed DejaVu with an attribution in the colophon text. The attribution is not necessary as far as I can tell, but it's a nice thing to do
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
That is what I do when I need international glyphs (I work for a commercial publishing house). I embed DejaVu with an attribution in the colophon text. The attribution is not necessary as far as I can tell, but it's a nice thing to do
A better font is actually Charis SIL and it is free to use to embed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #36
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A better font is actually Charis SIL and it is free to use to embed.
Thanks for the tip, Charis looks nice. I'll run it by our designers, they get the last word
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #37
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Show them TeX Gyre fonts
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Show them TeX Gyre fonts
The weight of Charis SIL (unmodified) is heavier then Tex Gyre so it will look better on an eink screen. My modified Charis SIL looks even better as it's that bit heavier so it looks that much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

Just like publishers and DRM, really.
It may be silly, but the reality is that those of us who make ebooks commercially have to live with it. I'm all for embedding subsets if it can be done without a lot of gyrations. I use disclaimers (e.g., "we assume that if you're giving us a font file, you've properly licensed it," etc.) but I do worry, given what's happened with cases of image licensing infringements, etc., that someday I'll have Adobe on my doorstep because some doofus didn't properly license one of their fonts. My alternative is to run out and do the licensing myself, and charge the client, but quite bluntly, that starts to get on my nerves for a variety of reasons, which aren't relevant to this discussion.

Is any of this moving forward? Or did the discussion that Calibre might do it or be made to do it kill the momentum? We don't use Calibre for production--although I adore it for our cataloging--so I'd be interested in this. Can someone advise, if they're actively working on it? I can't code for beans (in Python or whatever), but if I could assist some other way...?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I am working on it. I cant say if my efforts will succeed or not at this point.
If/when it is done, you are welcome to test it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I am working on it. I cant say if my efforts will succeed or not at this point.
If/when it is done, you are welcome to test it.
Hey, Kovid:

Good to see you. Are you working on it for a non-Calibre approach?

Hitch
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it will be part of the calibre conversion pipeline.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, it will be part of the calibre conversion pipeline.
Okay, then. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

If anyone else is working on it for a freestanding use, or...?, please let me know, thanks.

Hitch
Old 10-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay, then. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

If anyone else is working on it for a freestanding use, or...?, please let me know, thanks.

Hitch
If if appears as part of the calibre source code, it should be relatively simple to convert to a stand-alone tool.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
If if appears as part of the calibre source code, it should be relatively simple to convert to a stand-alone tool.
pdurrant:

Easy for you to say. Yes, I'm certain I can find someone who can assist us, thanks.

Hitch