Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
technoir
technoir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Sony 650 vs Pocketbook 602

I'm a heavy reader on the verge of buying my first e-reader and it's coming down to either the Sony 650 or the Pocketbook 602, with the K3 as an outside chance. I've played around with the 650 and I love the quick dictionary look-up combined with solid build quality and the Pearl screen. From what I've read the Pocketbook is more customisable and also offers the CHM format, which appeals. I'm yet to be convinced of the usefulness of the WIFI on the Pocketbook. My concern is that the screen quality will be markedly inferior to the Sony's, in which case I would plump for the Sony. Does anyone have a decent comparison of the two screens - I've seen some crappy mobile vid comparison but I won't be drawing any conclusions from that. What do you think? FWIW, I live in Australia.
technoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Pearl screen has about 50% better contrast than the older 2nd generation screens. What this means visually is that black text really is black on the Pearl screen, rather than being dark grey on the older screens. It's a very significant difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
As much as I love Pocketbook readers, if your primary concern is the screen quality, you should go for the Sony. The Pearl screen is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S with all the letters, the blacks are really black and it's a very comfortable read.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
technoir
technoir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
In that case, I think I'll go for the Sony. I'll probably wait for the price to drop though, because $300 (Australian) just feels like too much. I know, I know, there's always the Kindle but I'm philosophically opposed to a device that locks me in to the one shop. Hopefully, after Xmas there'll be a price drop.

Thanks for the advice.
technoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoir View Post
In that case, I think I'll go for the Sony. I'll probably wait for the price to drop though, because $300 (Australian) just feels like too much. I know, I know, there's always the Kindle but I'm philosophically opposed to a device that locks me in to the one shop. Hopefully, after Xmas there'll be a price drop.

Thanks for the advice.
Plus, knowing Pocketbook, I expect the software to be "not really finished yet" when they sell it and many announced functions to be, when at all, implemented much later. I have had the 360 and the 302. I now have a Sony PRS-350 as well as a 650 and really, with Sony WYS is WYG, so go for a Sony !! Plus indeed, the Pearl screen is amazing !!!!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert