Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Cybook + ADE differences from other readers

Thanks to Jelby and EowynCarter I've just installed the 2.0 firmware on my Cybook, and have a couple of questions about the display.

Firstly, when I read a few ePubs I have tested on another reader I have there is a nice margin between the top of the text and the top of the screen. On the Cybook the text is flush with the top of the screen. Will this occur with all ePubs? Why?

Secondly, though I can change font family and size and can toggle between justified and left aligned text with nearly all the ePubs I tested there is one (the Smashwords Style Manual) in which I can't do any of these things. Why? Is it related to imbedded fonts?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Why? Is it related to imbedded fonts?
Correct, and this is not a bug, but due to the way ePub are made. If the CSS of the ePub or the HTML override the global parameters they will not use the parameter you set. That's true for alignment and fontface.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
NicolasR
Addict
NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
If you want to get rid of this, and control alignment et font again, you’ll have to edit the CSS file embedded in your .epub. That is very easy.
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The top margin can be added with @page in the CSS.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you all. I've been off-line for a couple of days, hence the delayed response.

Jelby, I've designed websites, so have some background in HTML and CSS. But I've not used @page before, and don't see it in the HTML/CSS books I have. Could you point me to a reference please so I can read up on it?

Regards, Alex
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Websites are not paged media, so it's not surprising you haven't used @page

The reference for @page is here.

Note that, for the Cybook/ADE combination, you want top and bottom margins in a @page{} element, but if you want side margins, you better put them in body{}, because page numbers would be affected by page margins (and, if I remember correctly, you have to used a class for the <body>, or the Cybook just uses default margins).
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Websites are not paged media, so it's not surprising you haven't used @page

The reference for @page is here.

Note that, for the Cybook/ADE combination, you want top and bottom margins in a @page{} element, but if you want side margins, you better put them in body{}, because page numbers would be affected by page margins (and, if I remember correctly, you have to used a class for the <body>, or the Cybook just uses default margins).
Thanks, Jellby - and apologies for misspelling your name earlier. I've bookmarked the page and will study it when I can.

But from what I've read so far I'm not sure that it answers my original question. I've handmade a couple of ePub ebooks myself, with body {margin: 2%}.

When reading eg 'The War Prayer' on my ECO Reader there is a nice unobtrusive space between the top of the text and the bottom of the top margin of the screen. When reading the same book on my Cybook the text is flush with the top of the screen - ie no whitespace at all.

Would setting the top margin with @page mean they book would appear the same on both readers?

Regards, Alex
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
But from what I've read so far I'm not sure that it answers my original question. I've handmade a couple of ePub ebooks myself, with body {margin: 2%}.
That will only affect the top margin of the first page and the bottom margin of the last page (and side margins all along).

Quote:
When reading eg 'The War Prayer' on my ECO Reader there is a nice unobtrusive space between the top of the text and the bottom of the top margin of the screen. When reading the same book on my Cybook the text is flush with the top of the screen - ie no whitespace at all.

Would setting the top margin with @page mean they book would appear the same on both readers?
I don't know, I guess it depends on how exactly both readers define margins. If the ECO has some "default" @page that can be overwritten by the book, then it will probably look very similar in both readers; but if the top margin you see in the ECO is due to some additional margin it adds no matter what, you'll have a larger margin in the ECO than in the Cybook
Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I don't know, I guess it depends on how exactly both readers define margins. If the ECO has some "default" @page that can be overwritten by the book, then it will probably look very similar in both readers; but if the top margin you see in the ECO is due to some additional margin it adds no matter what, you'll have a larger margin in the ECO than in the Cybook
From my experiance with setting margin, the opus does 0px top, 5px left, right, bottom
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
From my experiance with setting margin, the opus does 0px top, 5px left, right, bottom
Thanks, Eowyn, that's most helpful. If it ever bugs me too much and I have nothing better to do I'll go in and change it.

Setting a margin with px makes my web designer soul shudder.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, Eowyn, that's most helpful. If it ever bugs me too much and I have nothing better to do I'll go in and change it.

Setting a margin with px makes my web designer soul shudder.

Regards, Alex
But, if you use % with margins instead of px, you get different margins for different screen sizes. Bext to use px to define margins so they stay the same regardless of the screen size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
you get different margins for different screen sizes
Yes, and you might want to do precisly that
Else margin ok for 5" will be to short for 9"...
And I dont't really know how bookeen setted the margins, but saying "0 bottom", "5" everywhere, get decents margins.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. This may be a 'big-endian' vs 'little-endian' argument, but I'm with Eowyn.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, if you use % with margins instead of px, you get different margins for different screen sizes. Bext to use px to define margins so they stay the same regardless of the screen size.
But then you get different margins on different resolutions. With Gen3 and Opus, for instance, px is just as %, both screens have the same number of pixels and different size.

If what you want is a constant absolute size, use absolute units: pt, mm, in...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
spin the book through Calibre, see if the default cybook figures suit you ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote