Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #361
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
As above, with the following message when I tried to re-install:

Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.5
ERROR: Plug-in installation failed: A problem occurred while installing this plug-in. This plug-in will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message from the details below into the forum thread for this plug-in and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 734, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 406, in check_for_add_to_toolbars
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 543, in load_actual_plugin
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'GenerateCoverAction'

Whilst I understand that most users require bells and whistles, I just need a fairly simple cover generator, where I can choose the font, the colours, the alignment and the picture.
BaconButty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #362
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.5.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add support for calibre 0.9.5 which changed how Fonts are loaded.

Existing users of this plugin will see an error message when you try to install this version. Just click ok, close and restart calibre like you would normally do and all should be fine.

@orbonsj & BaconButty - if you had read any of the posts on the previous page you would have seen the same error and the reasons for it. I'll repeat it all again here.

Kovid made changes in calibre 0.9.5 which broke the previous version of this plugin. If you have upgraded to 0.9.5, you must install v1.5.6 of Generate Cover.

When you do the Generate Cover install, then if you have not uninstalled the old version manually first you will see an error message like BaconButty, theducks and sugarcandy243 all posted. This is a bug in calibre, not the plugin. Just click ok, close and restart calibre and all will be fine.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #363
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
When you do the Generate Cover install, then if you have not uninstalled the old version manually first you will see an error message like BaconButty, theducks and sugarcandy243 all posted. This is a bug in calibre, not the plugin. Just click ok, close and restart calibre and all will be fine.
I installed it, clicked OK on the error message, restarted and it came up fine. Tried out a basic cover creation with no problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #364
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DoctorOhh - that will be because you did not have Generate Cover on a toolbar (you put it on your Favourites Menu plugin, right?)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #365
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
Thanks for the replies.

When I checked here last night after the Calibre update removed the plug-in icon, I read that an update would be made public in a few hours.
When I checked the plug-ins earlier and saw the update listed, I tried to apply it, got the message I posted, then a pop-up saying the plug-in would be un-installed.
I assumed the un-install had been done and did not realise this had to be done manually.

I have now un-installed, restarted, re-installed and created a cover.

It works fine, but I cannot use the font I had used for all my covers up to now, as it is no longer listed...

Thanks again.

Last edited by BaconButty; 11-03-2012 at 08:04 AM.
BaconButty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #366
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
@DoctorOhh - that will be because you did not have Generate Cover on a toolbar (you put it on your Favourites Menu plugin, right?)
Yup .
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #367
pmatch1104
Enthusiast
pmatch1104 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Error Message When Downloading Cover Update

I got this error message when trying to download an update for the Cover plugin and was instructed to copy and paste the following message to the forum.

calibre, version 0.9.5
ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 734, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 406, in check_for_add_to_toolbars
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 543, in load_actual_plugin
pmatch1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #368
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatch1104 View Post
I got this error message when trying to download an update for the Cover plugin and was instructed to copy and paste the following message to the forum.

calibre, version 0.9.5
ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

You did follow the instructions , but you probably should have looked to see if others beat you to it (they did).
This message is bogus, just restart Calibre and use the PI as if you did not see the message before.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #369
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
Error Message "Generate Cover" Plugin

I got this error message when trying to install the referenced plugin:

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'GenerateCove

The message also said to restart Calibre.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #370
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
I got this error message when trying to install the referenced plugin:

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'GenerateCove

The message also said to restart Calibre.
Did you bother to look here first to see if it had been reported (and resolved)?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=362
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #371
10basetom
10basetom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bug Report

When you check both "Stretch image to use as cover background" and "Resize cover dimensions to match background image" options in the Dimensions tab, this error is generated:

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.6
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'bookcover_01.jpg'

File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1510, in options_changed
  File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1446, in update_current_options
  File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.draw", line 26, in get_image_size
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\magick\__init__.py", line 146, in open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'bookcover_01.jpg'
It seems the problem is there is a stray "u" added before the image filename, which produces the "no such file or directory" error.
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #372
kiwidude

@10basetom - thanks for reporting that. I think that error will have been in there for quite a while (since 1.5.3 back in May) but you are the first to notice/report it. I will fix it shortly.

The issue isn't the "u" (that is just a Python thing), it is that it doesn't have a full path to the location of the cover. Something that the 1.5.3 release made some intentional changes around (to allow users to copy their plugin config files between machines) but obviously I missed a spot to change...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #373
kiwidude

v1.5.7 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug in stretch cover/resize option not finding full path to image.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #374
10basetom
10basetom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug in stretch cover/resize option not finding full path to image.
Thanks for the quick fix!
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #375
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Easier retrieving of existing covers' settings..?

Great plugin..! More like an application in its own right.. The problem is that it is so good that you quickly find yourself spending inordinate amounts of time using it..! Addictive, I would call it.

There is just one minor aspect I have not been able to figure out.

When I am browsing the contents of my calibre library and I spot something I don't like in one of my earlier efforts, I fire up Generate Cover on the book that is currently selected. The trouble is that I am presented with the settings that correspond to the last cover I viewed or created instead of the settings that correspond to the book that is currently selected.

Say, I created a cover for 'Book A' last night and now have just created a cover for 'Book B': I happen to take another look at 'Book A' again and I realize that it could do with a bit of tweaking.. So, I hit Shift+G to fire up Generate Cover.. and what I see in the 'Saved Settings' list is that the settings for 'Book B' are highlighted and that Generate Cover did not retrieve the settings for 'book A'. Instead, Generate Cover presents me with a template that uses the settings just created for 'Book B'... with 'Book A's author name and title.

Apparently, the default behavior is designed to make it quick and easy for users to generate identical covers for a bunch of related books rather than tweaking existing covers. But it makes it rather difficult to make changes to covers that were created earlier, especially when your personal collection already numbers in the hundreds.. Did I mention this software was addictive..? :-)

Is there any way I could set up Generate Cover to let me choose whether I wish to automatically retrieve a book's existing cover when there is one.. without losing the current default behavior, which I also find very useful when I need to generate identical covers en masse for a given subset — say.. Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, e.g...?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote