Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I was going to answer, but Dr Drib's post says it all. Best in my opinion is Mote in God's Eye. Look for the first ever mention of e-book readers.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
wasn't H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy a first contact novel? I know I loved reading it the first time.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I would also like suggestions for more first contact novels.

more interested in novels not shorts more interested in the "harder" stuff.

just read david weber's out of the dark. LOVED it the vampire twist was a little "strange" but does not ruin the story. I REALLY hope he makes sequels to this.

but more stuff like that. ie true "first" contact between human's and aliens not just "new" aliens.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Probably not what is being asked for, but Stanislaw Lem's novel "Fiasco" is entirely about First Contact, instigated by us in the future when we are more scientifically powerful. As you might guess from the title, it's not a feel-good story. It does bring up some interesting ideas, like the "window of opportunity" when trying to make contact (in a nutshell, civilizations only broadcast their presence for a century or two before they wise up and go dark to avoid contact with more powerful aliens. In most cases, it takes a long time for the signals to reach Earth and then for us to reach them, and in that time the aliens can become sufficiently advanced to be a threat to the visiting humans. Ergo, there's only a small time in which you can detect them and then reach them while maintaining the upper hand).

His earlier book "Eden" also covers this topic, but in the more usual space-opera type fashion. "Solaris", "The Invincible" and "His Master's Voice" also revolve around this theme. Of course, the books are mostly about us and how we deal with these situations rather than about "them".
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
nerys
Addict

I have eden his masters and solaris so I shoved them on my kindle will read them don't have fiasco but it appears to be a short story (downloads I have found are 41kb ??)

the cover looks familiar though I may have read it already.

but that is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for (human first contact with aliens either here or out their)

really like novel length stuff.

keep them coming. I have 14,000 ebooks the hard part is "what" to read and figuring out what I will and will not like. Very hard :-)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
Epic post Dr. Drib that going to keep me going a good while.
Indeed. I think he cornered the market. lol. A very good list and one I'll have to make note of for future readings myself.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #22
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I have eden his masters and solaris so I shoved them on my kindle will read them don't have fiasco but it appears to be a short story (downloads I have found are 41kb ??)
My paper copy of "Fiasco" is 324 pages, so it's no short story. It's also one of my votes for "Best SciFi Book of All Time", so make sure you get a good copy.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The sails of Tau Ceti by Michael McCollum is another good read in the subject.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #24
nerys
Addict

Ohhh that looks nice and that also lead me to the Gibraltar trilogy !! even better sounding ! getting them for my reader now!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #25
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
Epic post Dr. Drib that going to keep me going a good while.
Hell yes. Thanks so much Dr. Drib indeed!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Angry Grrrr............

The annoying thing is, particularly with Dr. Drib's excellent contribution, I see title after title that I can only vaguely remember the story, but remember I enjoying them a lot.........

B....r ! More books to go on the to do list .............

Last edited by carpetmojo; 07-16-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Appalling grammar..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
..........that's "enjoyed".
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #28
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
First contact is one of the most common tropes of Sf, so there are a zillion stories out there. Even Dr. Drib's great list only just makes a dent. My contributions:

The Warriors, a short story by Larry Niven.
The Andromeda Strain, Michael Crichton
The Abyss, Michael Crichton
The Kraken Wakes, John Wyndham
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Excellent point.

Never thought of Andromeda Strain as being a first contact type story, but you're indeed right.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
A few more offerings from female authors:

Becoming Alien by Rebecca Ore (1st in trilogy)
Cuckoo's Egg by C.J. Cherryh
After Long Silence by Sheri Tepper
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote