Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
nickhawkes88
nickhawkes88 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Free children's ebook for ipad!

Miles Kelly Publishing is converting their vast range of children’s books to eBooks. 30 titles have already been added to the iBookstore, and many more will soon follow. We are offering a free download of one of our newer books:

“Noah’s Ark and other bible stories”

“A selection of Bible stories for children, simply retold and wonderfully illustrated. Read about the creation of the world, Noah and the great flood and Abram’s journey to Canaan”

<http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/isbn9781848107151>

Why not download it and let us know what you think!
nickhawkes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
nickhawkes88

Promoting ebooks

I was wondering if anyone has had any success marketing their books by offering one for free?

We have had 30,000 downloads to date of our free book which has put it second in the most downloaded books on the ibookstore, but at the moment this hasn’t had much of an impact on other sales.

Has anyone had any success using this method, or are there any other promotional ideas that people have had results with?

If anyone would like to take a look at the book and review it for us that would be a major help, we also have a free version for the Kindle that could be emailed.

The book is a children's Bible Stories:

“Noah’s Ark and other bible stories”

“A selection of Bible stories for children, simply retold and wonderfully illustrated. Read about the creation of the world, Noah and the great flood and Abram’s journey to Canaan”

Thanks for your time
Old 12-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you might want to go into the author self promotions forum and ask this again. that might be a better audience for this question
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Lots of people will download something if it is free, that doesn't mean they will ever read it. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a market for children's ebooks to be honest. The devices are too expensive and fragile.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Lots of people will download something if it is free, that doesn't mean they will ever read it. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a market for children's ebooks to be honest. The devices are too expensive and fragile.
If it's only available in the ibookstore (and for free), it's possible people are simply trying out their device and downloading a free book. I did this when I got my first device, and I didn't read hardly anything I bought, so it really didn't impact my future purchases.

And while I have an i-device, I don't use it for reading, so if it's only in the ibookstore then just realize that that is a limited market.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think that the best promotion link the titles somehow, a series the same author ... some sort of theme.

Such as - an author might have Book 3 coming up for release in the near future so she puts Book 1 out there for free. Being free, it climbs the "bestseller" lists and some of those who took advantage then search for the next book.

Hey look at that, Book 2 only costs $4.99, and some bonus material has been added which just happens to be a teaser for Book 3 which releases in two weeks. So they download that and then a percent of them are really hooked ...

and willing to pay the $7.99 for Book 3.

Something like that is far more effective than putting a title such as "Noah's Ark Children's Stories" out there for free and then hoping it will lead them into purchasing totally unrelated volumes by completely different authors.

Tie the books together, offer the Bonus Material, lead the buyer from one to the next in a natural progression.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've had lots of success... giving away free books. It impacted my pay products hardly at all.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
nickhawkes88

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice!

I was thinking the same, just because something is free it doesn't mean it will lead to a massive sales increase. I think we were hoping it would be a good example of what our books offer, which is high quality illustrations and texts.

In regards to the offering a series, although it might not be for everyone, the Bible Stories that Noah's Ark is part of is actually a series. We offered Noah's Ark for free as a "Look at how nice it is..." and are releasing slowly the rest in the series.

In regards to whether children's e-books are the way forward, you just have to look at how many have cropped up on Kindle and itunes in a relatively short time. On top of that I agree I wouldn't really want my child getting hold of a Kindle and smashing it, but that same software can be downloaded to a pc, or mac, or laptop. And I don't know many families that don't already have an available computer they use!

Cheers
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Speaking PURELY for me, the ability to try a new author free or very inexpensively is a big plus.... I much prefer series, where I can get to know characters, so when I find a new author and can read the first of a series at no charge, I'm a lot more likely to give it a try. If I like it, I add them to the list and go through the rest of the series.

BUT, I'm not sure other readers are as hopelessly organized as I, with a computer list of authors, each with list of books read in descending publication date order, and frequent searches through the library and online bookstores for the next installment.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
nickhawkes88

Three Free eBooks for Ipad

Three illustrated eBooks for Ipad have become available. All are children's eBooks:

How to Draw Baby Animals
The perfect books for aspiring young artists, the How to Draw series is a fantastic way to get kids drawing in seconds. With simple instructions and step-by-step illustrations children can learn to draw 15 different illustrations, from simple outlines to detailed, colourful drawings. Written and illustrated by experienced artists, these beautiful books contain a wealth of information about drawing techniques and feature galleries highlighting different styles, materials and ideas for extra inspiration.

UK iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/how-...424478708?ls=1
USA iBookstore:http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/how-...424478708?ls=1

I Love Space
This highly visual series provides younger children with first facts and pictures about their favourite subjects. Each spread presents a new topic and is accompanied by simple text and realistic, detailed illustrations. Simple captions and labels explain more complex topics, and on each spread there is a fun activity to try. Children who are beginning to read alone will love this series, which is also ideal for parent and child to share together.

UK iBookstore:http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/i-lo...423425680?ls=1
USA iBookstore:http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/i-lo...423425680?ls=1

The Girl who owned a Bear:
Simply retold and wonderfully illustrated, this series brings together masses of delightful tales. Each title comprises a collection of stories based on a theme, such as Magic and Mystery. With each story taking about five minutes to read, these titles are ideal for parents to share with young children who are starting to recognise words. The simple text also allows independent readers to read aloud with confidence

UK iBookstore:http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/the-...429378924?ls=1
USA iBookstore:http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-...429378924?ls=1

Check them out and let us know what you think
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Animus2.0
Animus2.0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
These are wonderful. My children will love them, especially the learn to draw baby animals book.

Reading on the iPad has piqued their interest in books again. Thank you for the heads up.
Animus2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
nickhawkes88

Hi Animus,

I am glad you like them! Though they are not all free, each of these eBooks come in a series. The I Love's are a great series!

Tags
bible stories, children's, ebook, free