Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Happier SF Audible recommendations?

I'm looking for stuff to use some Audible credits on.
And I have a rather specific style of science fiction that I'm hoping you know some examples of:

I'm trying to find some stuff that takes a more positive, uplifting view of science, technology and the future. No Dystopias, Apocalypses (unless we've fully recovered from them!), zombie plagues, etc.*
To put in Star Trek terms, more TNG, less DS9.

But I don't mean to suggest I'm looking for only Space Opera.

Actually, near-future speculative, Michael Crichton style stuff , or hard science fiction would be ideal.

Stuff where technology or science is a primary element of the story, not just background or world-building.

Most importantly: no serials! I want a book that tells a whole story from beginning to end, not something that's intended to get me hooked by leaving a lot of unanswered questions!

Any recommendations?

ApK

*Come to think of it, I'd enjoy some non-fiction books on science and technology with this philosophy as well.
Maybe that should be another thread?

Last edited by ApK; 06-10-2016 at 02:56 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Have you tried any Michael Crichton stuff? For that matter, I highly recommend the Martian. The movie was good, the book even better. It was one of the few audiobooks where I was listening to it in the car, and then when I got home, I kept listening because I had to hear the ending.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Have you tried any Michael Crichton stuff? For that matter, I highly recommend the Martian. The movie was good, the book even better. It was one of the few audiobooks where I was listening to it in the car, and then when I got home, I kept listening because I had to hear the ending.
Yes, I've certainly read a bunch of Crichton. That's why I used him as an example of what I'm looking for. I'm actually re-listening to Jurassic Park right now.

"The Martian" is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, and since I've already read it, I would have used it as an example had I thought of it!

Any more ideas, anyone?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote