Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Audio books and copyright

hello,

I have a question about copyright regarding audiobooks.

If you create a video to accompany the audio reading and the video contains sub-titles, would/could this in any way be construed as 'digital' or even 'print' form of a book?

Is there someone on the forum with experience in this area?

thanks,
Ann
AnnGirdharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you need accurate answers on copyright law, consult a lawyer or other ip professional, NOT a bunch of anonymous strangers on the Internet.
That being said:
If you are talking about reproducing the text of a book on a screen and showing it to people, yeah you are making and publishing a copy of the book. Showing the content one line at a time over a video and calling them subtitles does not change anything.
I'm not clear, though, if you are talking about making a video to accompany your own authorized audio book production or someone else's!

Last edited by ApK; 08-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hello ApK,

I was testing the waters in case someone here had prior experience and I am talking about my own book.

Ann Girdharry
Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnGirdharry View Post
hello,

I have a question about copyright regarding audiobooks.

If you create a video to accompany the audio reading and the video contains sub-titles, would/could this in any way be construed as 'digital' or even 'print' form of a book?

Is there someone on the forum with experience in this area?

thanks,
Ann
I would say that, just as the audio reading is considered a "new work," so would be the combined audio and video. As for the video by itself, it probably could be considered a "new work" too.

But that's just my sense of it. I don't have the kind of experience you're looking for.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast

thanks for your comments, Arjaybe