Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #31
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Same here. I use Amazon gift cards both because I dislike to see small charges and also to limit spending.
I used to do that, but it was a royal PITA to have to remember to turn off the gift card when buying something else.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I used to do that, but it was a royal PITA to have to remember to turn off the gift card when buying something else.
Why turn off the gift card at all?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #33
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why turn off the gift card at all?
Because it was dedicated to ebooks and just about any other purchase would obliterate the balance.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #34
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Because it was dedicated to ebooks and just about any other purchase would obliterate the balance.
I fail to see the problem with this.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
I fail to see the problem with this.
Because the poster was trying to avoid a lot of small credit card hits close together, which can trigger a fraud alert.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I never use 1-click for normal purchases so it’s very easy for me to switch payment methods during checkout. That said, I actually just use the gift card balance for normal purchases (I usually keep around $50-100). I only switch to direct credit card for large purchases or when I want to use my reward balance.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #37
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Because the poster was trying to avoid a lot of small credit card hits close together, which can trigger a fraud alert.
That doesn't make sense: buy a $20 gift card. Use it to buy $18 worth of ebooks. Buy something else which costs more than $2. If you use the remaining gift card balance then there is one credit card charge for this purchase. If you don't use the remaining gift card balance then there is one credit card charge for this purchase. Either way it's two charges.

Again, I don't see how using up the gift card balance is a problem.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
That doesn't make sense: buy a $20 gift card. Use it to buy $18 worth of ebooks. Buy something else which costs more than $2. If you use the remaining gift card balance then there is one credit card charge for this purchase. If you don't use the remaining gift card balance then there is one credit card charge for this purchase. Either way it's two charges.

Maybe from an accounting or budgeting point of view. Maybe that's just the way they want to do things. Nothing wrong with that.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'm guessing @j.p.s wanted the gift card balance dedicated to ebooks and forgets to switch to credit card for normal purchases.

$20 gift card, buy 5x $1.99 books, $10.05 remaining. Buy $50 worth of goods and forget to disable GC and you've just depleted the GC balance. Forget to reload GC balance and next time you purchase ebooks, you're back to 5x $1.99 charges.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #40
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Forget to reload GC balance and next time you purchase ebooks, you're back to 5x $1.99 charges.
If you're not in the habit of checking your balance before you purchase, well, that's the problem. You're still going to find yourself with binge-buy charges; all the $50 purchase does is you there sooner.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
If you're not in the habit of checking your balance before you purchase, well, that's the problem. You're still going to find yourself with binge-buy charges; all the $50 purchase does is you there sooner.
Do e-ink Kindles even show you the gift card balance when you buy a book directly from the device? I don't remember ever seeing it.

Checking gift card balances is very easy to do when buying books using computer, smartphone or tablet. Not so much on an e-ink Kindle.

I keep a balance that's good for 2-3 months of ebook purchases on my Amazon account so it's not something I need to monitor closely (checking once a month is more than enough). However, even a single electronics purchase from Amazon can easily wipe out the entire balance if I'm not careful (I don't use 1-Click and I always triple check my orders before confirming so I'm okay with it).

I expect this extra hassle is why @j.p.s doesn't bother with gift cards anymore, though. If he needs to frequently check and reload the gift card balance before making purchases on the Kindle, might as well not bother and just have a bunch of small charges on the CC.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #42
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Do e-ink Kindles even show you the gift card balance when you buy a book directly from the device? I don't remember ever seeing it.

Checking gift card balances is very easy to do when buying books using computer, smartphone or tablet. Not so much on an e-ink Kindle.
True, and that's by design (on the Kindle).

Perhaps a better option is to set up an alternate Amazon account using a pre-paid Visa card. Use that for your Kindle purchases and top it off by sending yourself gifts from your primary account. FSVO "better" since it trades one annoyance for another, and I'd rather use up the balance than let Amazon collect interest on my money.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #43
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I am glad that Amazon reminds me when I've already purchased a book, TBH... though I sometimes do end up with duplicates due to buying a single volume and then an omnibus, or getting a deal on Humble, then buying the same on sale at Amazon.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #44
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
If Amazon would remove their head from their hemorrhoidal tissues and make it possible to add ebooks to the cart so they could be bought with one transaction things like this would not happen. Why can you put anything except ebooks in your cart? Seems totally stupid to me.
I know that one click bullshit annoys me. I want to add to cart then buy all at the same time
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #45
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Then you get to see the WHOLE total, and you'll get scared off from buying so many. Happens to me, I know!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote