Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 02:04 AM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for the links, sun surfer. I remember that song but never realized the story behind it.

Your link didn't work, but here's one from the local Lafayette paper. That's not a small distance to get to Rockford. Sad that they couldn't put out a Silver Alert. Sometimes we'll get a reverse emergency call that a senior with dementia has been reported missing and to look for them wandering around the local area.
https://www.jconline.com/story/news/...ing/422911002/

As we grow older, it's pretty scary to look into the future and worry about the loss of one's mental capabilities. There's a book I'd like to read called The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth which is about two thirty-somethings with early onset Alzheimer's who meet in a care home and fall in love. I'd also like to read Still Alice by Lisa Genova. I read Kimberly Williams-Paisley's book about her mother, Where the Light Gets In, and found it insightful for what families go through to watch their loved one's mentally and physically deteriorate and to understand the impact on the friends, spouse and children.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 03-16-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 AM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The final section has a spirituality that is sometimes quite moving—though I cannot help wondering how such unpleasant children created such selfless love in their mother.
The perspective of the final section was not what I had been expecting, but I don't want to give away spoilers for those who haven't finished yet. I liked the spiritual aspect of it. It made it very personal, and I thought it did a good job of linking together the stories of the other parts to make a cohesive whole.

I also thought how horrible the way she was treated by her husband and yet she stuck by him!

I have a memory for words for some odd reason, and I am sensitive to repetitive words in books. I did a search on guileless. It's interesting that the phrase "guileless eyes" was used once in each of the 3 sections (daughter, son, dad).
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for the links, sun surfer. I remember that song but never realized the story behind it.

Your link didn't work, but here's one from the local Lafayette paper. That's not a small distance to get to Rockford. Sad that they couldn't put out a Silver Alert. Sometimes we'll get a reverse emergency call that a senior with dementia has been reported missing and to look for them wandering around the local area.
https://www.jconline.com/story/news/...ing/422911002/

As we grow older, it's pretty scary to look into the future and worry about the loss of one's mental capabilities. There's a book I'd like to read called The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth which is about two thirty-somethings with early onset Alzheimer's who meet in a care home and fall in love. I'd also like to read Still Alice by Lisa Genova. I read Kimberly Williams-Paisley's book about her mother, Where the Light Gets In, and found it insightful for what families go through to watch their loved one's mentally and physically deteriorate and to understand the impact on the friends, spouse and children.
Still Alice is currently on sale in Canada for $1.99 Can.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001NLKXK2/...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I just finished a book that alternated perspectives. It had the impact of being too distant and not becoming intimate enough with the characters. It really highlighted by contrast how well Please Look After Mom accomplished this technique.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #20
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Yes, the author did a remarkable job in making that work as well as it did.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert