View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Justified (centre) 67 45.89%
Left aligned (ragged right) 63 43.15%
Does not matter 16 10.96%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #61
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You could get one of the Android E-ink tablets/readers (whatever you want to call them) and install Moon+ on that.
or AlReader.
MoonReader has this bug:
when you switch on hyphenation it will automatically disable left justification.
Hyphenation is only possible for full justified text.

The developer calls this a feature, not a bug ... sigh ...
I don't understand why we can't have a choice.
Yes, I know I am weird when I want to have left justification AND a hyphenation, but, why does he *prevent* me from having a choice. It is almost like a Kindle or iBooks on Apple.

Also, the only way to have a white background is to download (or create) a solid white image. And for an e-ink device a textured of colored bitmap on the text background is a disaster!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #62
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Since I pretty much buy all my books from Amazon, it will have to be a kindle. I never heard of any android e-ink tablets, nor seen one. And again, all my books are on amazon and I must be able to pull them in over wifi.

I also wouldn't be able to hold a larger than 6 inch screen. Sure, if my eyes get bad enough that I wouldn't enjoy reading anymore while lounging, I'd have to sit upright and put a larger one in a stand. Not sure if I want to read like that. I don't think my eyes will get that bad any time soon though.
I don't buy books from kobo either. I have over 3000 books in my kindle archive, I am not going to switch brands at this point. I am quite happy with my kindles and the font as it is now.

Who knows what happens in years from now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #63
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
If I have to choose between the two, I'd go with left aligned/ragged right. However, a factor is the size of the screen.

With larger screens (those at least as large as a paperback book page) full justification is fine with me because it makes it less likely that you will have the large gaps between words that result when you fully justify the text on a smaller screen (or in the case of small columns of text like in newspapers where you end up with two words on a line with a large gap between them).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #64
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
or AlReader.
MoonReader has this bug:
when you switch on hyphenation it will automatically disable left justification.
Hyphenation is only possible for full justified text.

The developer calls this a feature, not a bug ... sigh ...
I don't understand why we can't have a choice.
Yes, I know I am weird when I want to have left justification AND a hyphenation, but, why does he *prevent* me from having a choice. It is almost like a Kindle or iBooks on Apple.

Also, the only way to have a white background is to download (or create) a solid white image. And for an e-ink device a textured of colored bitmap on the text background is a disaster!
You can do a white background with Moon+ without an image.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-21-11-22-44.png
Views:	156
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	153679
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #65
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
That's why I don't like Kindles. You can't always get a font size to your liking - once you get to the larger sizes it goes from a little too small to huge in one step. Moon+ is great for that - you can go up in size point by point so you'll always find a font size that works for you.
That's me too! I like the idea of a Kindle, but in practice, 8 font sizes doesn't cut it for my eyes. There's one that's a bit too small for comfort, next size up is ridiculously too large and also looks blamed ugly on a tiny 6" screen.

If my eyes can't be comfortable, that's a massive FAIL by Amazon/Kindle. Reading comfortably is my primary reason to *have* an ereader device! No ecosystem in the world makes up for having an uncomfortable reading experience....

Fortunately, my Kobo keeps me happy while reading. I also adore being able to adjust the front light with a slide of my finger on the left side of the screen. Comfort that doesn't take me out of my book!

Edit: As for the topic, I prefer justified, with hyphenation. But I can read ragged right as well, so either works. When I roll my own epubs, they are justified.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited by graycyn; 12-21-2016 at 01:16 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those of you using a Kobo Reader and you do like reading justified with hyphens, here is a better English & French hyphenation dictionaries. I use the English one because it just works better than the one that comes with the Kobo Firmware.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've never really noticed either way myself. As long as the text is readable I'm happy.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was playing around with left justification last night and I found it not as good as a proper full justification with variable spacing and hyphenation. Because of the variable spacing, you can get more words per line. What happens is that in left, you get fixed width space which then is too much to allow the last word that was there to fit on the line. In full, you get smaller spaces as needed and that word that fell off the end of the line in left no longer falls off. so when in full, witht he variable spacing and hyphens, the text just looks better and is easier to read.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #69
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was playing around with left justification last night and I found it not as good as a proper full justification with variable spacing and hyphenation. Because of the variable spacing, you can get more words per line. What happens is that in left, you get fixed width space which then is too much to allow the last word that was there to fit on the line. In full, you get smaller spaces as needed and that word that fell off the end of the line in left no longer falls off. so when in full, witht he variable spacing and hyphens, the text just looks better and is easier to read.
I think you mean to say "the text just looks better and is easier to read" FOR YOU. It doesn't look better to me, because I read with a large font at times.

Say it with me..."not everyone prefers their books to be fully justified...and that's OK"

Come on...do it for the children!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #70
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I think you mean to say "the text just looks better and is easier to read" FOR YOU. It doesn't look better to me, because I read with a large font at times.

Say it with me..."not everyone prefers their books to be fully justified...and that's OK"

Shari
But it's not ok!!!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #71
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The last bit of this conversation made me think of Harry Chapin (his song Flowers are Red):

Flowers are red young man
Green leaves are green
There's no need to see flowers any other way
Than the way they always have been seen

gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
One of the problems is that Kobo uses settings in the hyphenation dictionary that doesn't hyphenate as well as it should. If you look at the link I posted in post #66, it links to a US and a French hyphenation dictionary that allows hyphens to work better. Give it a try on your Aura HD and see what you think. I would like to know what your opinion is about full justify with better hyphenation.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #73
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
The font may be too large for you, but it's not for me.
What she meant is that the font size is too large for the width of that screen; there aren't enough characters on one line. The font size would be fine if the screen was 3 times as wide.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #74
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
What she meant is that the font size is too large for the width of that screen; there aren't enough characters on one line. The font size would be fine if the screen was 3 times as wide.
That would mean that because I use a large font I shouldn't use a phone to read? The problem with large gaps between words also happens on six inch screens. A lot of people use six inch screens. Also a device that's three times as wide isn't portable.

People should use the font size, screen size, and justification that works best for them.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #75
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
That would mean that because I use a large font I shouldn't use a phone to read?
Of course you can use whatever you want, but the point remains that a very large font doesn't look good on a small screen, or the other way around, because for many people, there will either be too few, or too many characters per line to read comfortably.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote