Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #31
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Glo HD, Sony PRS-650, iPhone 6S, iPad Mini 4
Congrats! I have never heard of that app and am immediately going to investigate.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #32
haertig
Addict
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Fire Gen7, PaperWhite3, iPhone 5S
One other neat feature about "Book Mower", is that it is supposed to automatically set a bookmark when you stop/pause your listening. Not just remember where it is, but also, in addition, set a bookmark. That would be good if you fat-finger the controls and accidentally jump around to some place in the audiobook unintentionally. I have not done more than a few minutes testing with Book Mower, so I haven't yet tested out this feature. But it is documented, so I guess it works.

Note: There is also a sibling app, named "Bookmobile" by the same developer, which is like Book Mower but adds the capability to handle podcasts. Since I don't ever listen to those, I went for the more basic Book Mower instead.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
p.s. - I think this ordeal/learning experience has indeed convinced me that I am an Android person, not an iOS person. Just like I'm a Linux person and not a Windows person. I like control!
Give it a little more time. You might appreciate the fact that Apple keeps your OS up to the latest level so long as it will run on your hardware and provides updates on every app in the store when it is changed. But you are still in control since you can choose not to have the latest fixes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #34
haertig
Addict
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have indeed noticed that Apple wants me to upgrade to the newest iOS. My iPhone 5S is currently running iOS 10.something (yeah, I know the 5S is an old phone). I have to keep dismissing the dialogs that pop up trying to get me to move to 11.something. And Apple makes it hard to say "no, I don't want the update". You have to be careful to hunt down and choose the single correct option to say no, because there are other options to "do it at midnight" (something like that). You have to be on your toes to find "no".

I am saying "no" for now, until I research some more. I have read that iOS 11 really slows down the 5S phone. Horribly. And you can't revert back to a previous iOS version after you've upgraded. I wish there was a way to tell it "Stop bugging me about updates - I don't want to do them!" Maybe there is a way to do this, but I haven't found it yet. For now, I just have to put up with the persistent dialogs.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #35
mariosipad
Evangelist
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
This article

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ip...rsion-3641478/

might help you ....... I hope.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #36
haertig
Addict

Thanks! I just followed the steps in that link. Hopefully that will be the end of the incessant popup wanting to upgrade iOS.

I have nothing against updating the OS, except if that update slows down or in some other way hampers the phone. The jury is still out on that question, so I'm not going to update just yet...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #37
mariosipad
Evangelist
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
Well the jury has decided that is it ok to upgrade (in most cases).

Your iPhone/iPad should not slow down just from updating to a newer iOS version. Just the apps you may be using are sometimes more demanding. So you will have the impression that the upgrade slowed down your iOS device. An initioal slow down can be expected (indexing and other housekeeping) but after a few hours your iPhone should work as expected. (My iPhone 6s did.)

But if you should trust that jury ....... that's up to you (and me ;-) I haven't updated my iPad 3 to iOS 9 and decided to keep iOS 8 for some years now ..... )
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #38
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
IOS 11 definitely slowed down my old 6+, so it’d probably be even worse on a 5s.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OS11 is different from all previous OS revisions. It is a 64Bit only OS while the earlier ones would allow 64bit and 32bit apps. Thus do not update to OS11 if you still need to run 32bit apps but otherwise update since it is more efficient having only to deal with one kind of app.

Dale
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
IOS 11 definitely slowed down my old 6+, so it’d probably be even worse on a 5s.
This is a known issue with old batteries. The OS will slow down a device with old batteries. The solution is to upgrade your battery and Apple is selling an upgrade dirt cheap right now to the end of the year. Take advantage of this!!!

Dale
Old 04-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #41
haertig
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is a known issue with old batteries. The OS will slow down a device with old batteries.
I thought updating to the newer OS is what caused the slowdown - on purpose. But maybe now they have a newer new OS that undoes the slowdown caused by the previous new OS.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #42
haertig
Addict

Looks like my 5S phone is not covered. From macworld:

Is my iPhone part of the battery replacement program?

If you have an iPhone 6 or later you are eligible to receive a battery as part of the program. The complete list of phones included are:

iPhone SE
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus

How do I know if my iPhone is one of the affected models?

If your phone has been sluggish over the past few months, your battery is likely the culprit. Back in iOS 10.2.1, Apple added a power-management feature to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE that throttles the maximum performance to compensate for declining battery life.

I have an iPhone 5S hand-me-down, and it is running iOS 10.0.1 With typically light daily usage, occasionally medium usage (but no heavy duty streaming videos and such), I have to charge it every other day. I have no idea if this is considered good or bad.

Maybe they didn't include the 5S in the battery offer because they didn't think any respectable Apple owner would be so backwards as to still own one?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I thought updating to the newer OS is what caused the slowdown - on purpose. But maybe now they have a newer new OS that undoes the slowdown caused by the previous new OS.
It did cause the slowdown for old batteries, not for good batteries. They claimed the slowdown prevented crashes with weak batteries, but the solution is to replace the batteries and the unit will run at full speed. There was a big issue in multimedia over this and Apple promised to replace any old batteries with new ones for a very good price, particularly when you consider labor is thrown in. Everyone should get the new batteries by December to start out with the best speed. This does not apply to iPads, BTW.

Dale
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #44
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is a known issue with old batteries. The OS will slow down a device with old batteries. The solution is to upgrade your battery and Apple is selling an upgrade dirt cheap right now to the end of the year. Take advantage of this!!!

Dale
Actually the voltage throttling feature was implemented in iOS 10. There was an additional drop in performance going from 10 to 11 that's unrelated to that.

Also, no need... for my 6+ was actually stolen! Oh well, I've got a shiny new 8+ now.

(The phone later showed up in a recycling plant half-way across the country. Apparently the thief threw it in one of those recycling kiosks for a tenner)

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-23-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote