Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that's time-ly will we read for April?
1916: The Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan 3 17.65%
1632 by Eric Flint 5 29.41%
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North 4 23.53%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 3 17.65%
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells 4 23.53%
Making History by Stephen Fry 8 47.06%
Days Without Number by Robert Goddard 4 23.53%
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai 7 41.18%
Their Finest, by Lissa Evans 2 11.76%
The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard 7 41.18%
Naples '44: A World War II Diary of Occupied Italy by Norman Lewis 6 35.29%
Time and Again by Jack Finney 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #76
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Arrow page count is way way way off base.

Given a normally formatted pBook, it's roughly 380 pages.
How many words on average are you assuming each page would contain? The Arrow book is fairly large type, and I've taken a quick sample of average word count - around 280. That is lower than the usual average of 300-350 for a paperback, so I'd say the "real" number is nearer 400 pages.

Last edited by orlok; 03-14-2018 at 08:19 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
How many words on average are you assuming each page would contain? The Arrow book is fairly large type, and I've taken a quick sample of average word count - around 280. That is lower than the usual average of 300-350 for a paperback, so I'd say the "real" number is nearer 400 pages.
I would go with 350-400 depending on the typesetting. So could it be that the Arrow book is a large print edition given how many extra pages it has? And why would Amazon choose the Arrow edition for the Kindle page number file since it's rather misleading as to the size of the book?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #78
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
TBH I nearly asked for a word count but I thought that might be imposing having already asked for a page count.

Story is this: a long time ago (2007) I started a project to re-read all the Harry Potter books before the final one came out. In order to do so in time I had to set pretty ambitious targets as I'd left it late. So I wrote myself a spreadsheet to track my progress. I soon discovered I averaged 60 pages/hour.

Now I use what may be considered the great-grand-daughter of that spreadsheet to track my reading. And although I do track word count, most of the spreadsheet still refers to pages. Trouble is I rarely read on paper any more. So I tend to get the page count of the paperback edition from Amazon and use that. I have a section of the spreadsheet where I can enter all the different measures (Kindle pages, locations, epub page numbers, calibre locations etc) and convert between them. This also allows me to switch between different methods of reading the same book and still record in a common format - pages.

So 'pages' is a bit of a problematic measure for estimating time to read. OTOH word count, whilst better in terms of a measure of the size of the book, isn't necessarily better for time estimates because reading pace can vary with the content of the book, how I'm enjoying it, how easy the language is etc.

For example of the 16 books I've read this year so far, the words/page varies from 206-386 with an average of 281. So the size of a page varies a lot. But my words/min reading pace varies from 179-247, average 211 - which is almost as much variability.

I get a better estimate once I've started reading the book because then I can calculate a rate based on the current book only.

Sorry for rambling, some of you might be interested, some will probably be repulsed by the very idea

Oh and I just got the email to say Making History is now on loan to me!
I too track reading time, but not words, even though I have the output on Calibre via the Count Pages plugin. I might toss this into my spreadsheet for this year and set up the words/min formula.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #79
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would go with 350-400 depending on the typesetting. So could it be that the Arrow book is a large print edition given how many extra pages it has? And why would Amazon choose the Arrow edition for the Kindle page number file since it's rather misleading as to the size of the book?
My guess is it was the info given to Amazon by the publisher. It uses the same cover as the Arrow versions so my guess is that was the version used when they created the eBook.
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
My guess is it was the info given to Amazon by the publisher. It uses the same cover as the Arrow versions so my guess is that was the version used when they created the eBook.
That actually sound like it may be the way it is. But what I don't get is why the Arrow pBook edition is using such wonky formatting to inflate the number of pages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #81
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I don't suppose you would be willing to share your spreadsheet?
Here it is. Apologies that took a while. I needed to add some sort of notes to make it understandable and I was away for the weekend.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #82
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thank you! I am traveling and internet is spotty at best, so it may be next weekend before I can check it out.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #83
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just checking on my hold status for Making History and found that I was next in line which means I might get it in time for next week's discussion.

Literally 5 seconds after I closed the library tab my phone buzzed with a new email notification...Making History is now available. Yay!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #84
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It’s a reasonably quick read, though you do have one or two other demands on your time, like the cookie owner!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #85
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It’s a reasonably quick read, though you do have one or two other demands on your time, like the cookie owner!
That's for sure. Fortunately, most of my reading time is on my commute so I get about the same amount of reading time most weeks.

@Latepaul, great sheet there. For me, I prefer having all years in the same sheet and, while I played with recording actual time read each day a few years ago, I decided that was too granular for me and didn't warrant the extra effort.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #86
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
@Latepaul, great sheet there. For me, I prefer having all years in the same sheet and, while I played with recording actual time read each day a few years ago, I decided that was too granular for me and didn't warrant the extra effort.
Thanks. Ironically I am now thinking of simplifying it. I'm not sure I need/want to record time spent any more. I'll see. For whatever reason, the rate I've been reading this year is much greater so I'll have to either update the spreadsheet or re-work it at some point anyway (it has a fixed max of 61 books/year)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote