Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
2.5 update.. why the slow rollout?

is it 'beta'? are they afriad they'll break everybody's kindle? Why not just put the bin file on the amazon site like they did with 2.3.3?

TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sounds like they wanted to see if folks were going to have support issues related to the new features and rather than have support overwhelmed they figured they'd release it to a certain number of units and see what happened.

Anyway those of us who haven't gotten it yet should get it this week I'd think.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I reckon Amazon CS have been overwhelmed by people who dont have it, rather than those who have it, and experience problems.

I got it about 10 days ago, and if it was in beta (something I dont buy at all) then it works fine.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Let's hope that the customer reactions to this style of rollout have convinced them that it was a misguided idea and they won't do it again.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont think they give a damn to be honest!
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
As a software developer (on a product that has a larger user base than the kindle) I’m going to call B.S to the idea they want to reduce support issues.

IMHO the people that are smart enough to download and install the update are the more tech-savvy users... i would think those are the people you want testing the software first. People like my mom don't care what firmware they have and wouldn't even notice if they got a new version over wireless.

I've had my wireless on since the update was first announced... still don't have it

~Brian
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, Amazon did set expectations ('end of May'), and by definition, some of us just aren't going to get the update until at least then. So as it is, I don't see a reason to complain until then. All they really need to do by the end of the month is post the updates so people can download them (I live in an EDGE zone, so downloading anything very large is an iffy proposition). I wish they had done this already, but the update apparently does not address any of the issues I would have given priority to, so I can wait.

Given that the stated reason for staged update was to discover problems before rolling out for general release, and that the updates being delivered have not changed so far, one has to think there were other reasons as well. Maybe Amazon's wireless contracts restrict how much downloading can be done at any given period of time. Who knows?

There are probably twice as many Kindles out there now than there were for the 2.3 update, and the installed base is probably doubling every 6-12 months, so I hope they recognize the need to scale the delivery mechanism so it can roll out more updates more quickly, and provide updates for download from amazon.com earlier in the process.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard

I think people would have been more patient about all this had Amazon did what they said they would do in the Forum Announcement, and that is to update how the roll-out is going. So, when each wave went out (the last was 2 weeks ago!) tell people that, and then advise if there are any issues etc that need to be fixed before the next wave occurs. But nada since the last announcement - just all these rumours and frustrated people. Not the way to deal with customers. All people want is INFORMATION.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
It's maddening because they only announced the 2.5 update late April after news that the Nook got a software update... they just wanted to show that they're not resting on their laurels, but...

That's the problem with announcing something so freaking early. It's like waiting for Christmas.... only in this case, for SOME people, Christmas shows up a lot earlier than expected, and at random.

It also doesn't help that people have wanted collections for a really long time and now that some people are getting and enjoying them, the rest have to wait.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote