Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #241
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
The main problem I have with the iPad is that it offers me alternatives to the immersive reading (i.e. "book") experience & they are hard to resist. One result is that I seem to be reading more pbooks. I am not reading on my Sonys at all these days. I am doing some ebook reading on the iPad, but the ratio of pbook to ebook has shifted back to pbook.

I read an article tonight about a guy who had two computers, one of which was entirely disconnected from the internet, down to the actual removal of any software dealing with the Internet. Maybe what I need is a second iPad containing only ebook apps.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #242
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
The main problem I have with the iPad is that it offers me alternatives to the immersive reading (i.e. "book") experience & they are hard to resist. One result is that I seem to be reading more pbooks. I am not reading on my Sonys at all these days. I am doing some ebook reading on the iPad, but the ratio of pbook to ebook has shifted back to pbook.

I read an article tonight about a guy who had two computers, one of which was entirely disconnected from the internet, down to the actual removal of any software dealing with the Internet. Maybe what I need is a second iPad containing only ebook apps.
Lol. Sounds like people who don't keep snacks in the house because they can't control themselves. Heck, whatever works best for each person. ... Maybe some of the distraction is the novelty of a new device?

I used to read Gutenberg books on netbook; didn't find it distracting (other than the pain of netbook form factor for book reading), despite the same kind of access that iPad offers. If a book can't hold my attention, I ditch it for a better book.

I still read print books; never gave 'em up, because my priority is content over form. Too many books aren't digital yet, and I won't limit my reading.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #243
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Lol. Sounds like people who don't keep snacks in the house because they can't control themselves. Heck, whatever works best for each person. ... Maybe some of the distraction is the novelty of a new device?
That's a good analogy. The guy with the computer was a writer, & isolated his second computer to use for his writing. I read about another guy who moved to Montana to get away from the internet while writing a book.

The distraction cannot, alas, be blamed on the novelty. It's more a question of doing the quick things first, and never getting to the slow thing. In my work, I learned a long time ago to tackle the big job first, or it will be forever delayed by the little jobs. I wind up reading on my iPad when I pick it up with the intention of reading, and get right to it.

Quote:
I used to read Gutenberg books on netbook; didn't find it distracting (other than the pain of netbook form factor for book reading), despite the same kind of access that iPad offers. If a book can't hold my attention, I ditch it for a better book.
A wise position. I know people who think that they have to finish a book that they start. Others think that if they read part of a book, they have to read the whole thing - not quite the same as finishing what they start but with the same outcome. Some books are a whole meal, with several courses, others are fast food, and others a buffet or salad bar. And you NEVER have to clean your plate - that's how you get fat.

Quote:
I still read print books; never gave 'em up, because my priority is content over form. Too many books aren't digital yet, and I won't limit my reading.
I can't imagine not reading a book because it's not in eform, although I know that there are some people who approach it that way. My own approach is that if it is not available in eform from Project Gutenberg or a commercial source, I will see if I can find it from (ahem) a non-commercial source. But there are some books I want in pform, mainly because I want to keep them around, sometimes because I find the particular book attractive.

I think I'm going to wind up getting a Kindle2 for the majority of my ebook reading. Probably 80 percent of what I want is available from Amazon, or can be calibre'd onto a Kindle. I am delaying making this move because I think that there will be a Kindle3 before the end of the summer. But getting a Kindle will, when paired with my Sonys, give me access to most of what I want to read in ebook form.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #244
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
That's a good analogy. The guy with the computer was a writer, & isolated his second computer to use for his writing. I read about another guy who moved to Montana to get away from the internet while writing a book.

The distraction cannot, alas, be blamed on the novelty. It's more a question of doing the quick things first, and never getting to the slow thing. In my work, I learned a long time ago to tackle the big job first, or it will be forever delayed by the little jobs. I wind up reading on my iPad when I pick it up with the intention of reading, and get right to it.

A wise position. I know people who think that they have to finish a book that they start. Others think that if they read part of a book, they have to read the whole thing - not quite the same as finishing what they start but with the same outcome. Some books are a whole meal, with several courses, others are fast food, and others a buffet or salad bar. And you NEVER have to clean your plate - that's how you get fat.

I can't imagine not reading a book because it's not in eform, although I know that there are some people who approach it that way. My own approach is that if it is not available in eform from Project Gutenberg or a commercial source, I will see if I can find it from (ahem) a non-commercial source. But there are some books I want in pform, mainly because I want to keep them around, sometimes because I find the particular book attractive.

I think I'm going to wind up getting a Kindle2 for the majority of my ebook reading. Probably 80 percent of what I want is available from Amazon, or can be calibre'd onto a Kindle. I am delaying making this move because I think that there will be a Kindle3 before the end of the summer. But getting a Kindle will, when paired with my Sonys, give me access to most of what I want to read in ebook form.
As you're no doubt someone who likes to annotate, you'll appreciate the Kindle's note-taking ability. IMO, in that regard it's a bit better than the Sony Touch in that it's easier, more complete (notes aren't truncated when you export them), and more accurate. Of course, your iPad probably easily swamps them both.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #245
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
As you're no doubt someone who likes to annotate, you'll appreciate the Kindle's note-taking ability. IMO, in that regard it's a bit better than the Sony Touch in that it's easier, more complete (notes aren't truncated when you export them), and more accurate. Of course, your iPad probably easily swamps them both.
LOL! I don't do annotate. I tried it once, & learned that it improved my engagement with what I was reading. But it slowed me down tremendously, & the tradeoff wasn't worth it to me.

So I can't comment on how it works in iBook.

Last edited by Harmon; 06-05-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #246
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
LOL! I don't do annotate. I tried it once, & learned that it improved my engagement with what I was reading. But it allowed me down tremendousl, & the tradeoff wasn't worth it to me.

So I can't comment on how it works in iBook.
LOL right back at ya'! I'll probably read at twice the rate if I ever learn the difference between plain text and coloring books!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #247
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
I won't say absolutely that I won't read a book in non-e-form, but I rarely do.

I do most of my reading travelling to/from work and it is much easier to read an ebook carried on my JBL than to carry an extra p-book or two.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #248
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
If people aren't going to read much on the iPad, then it is not going to expand the ebook market, it's really that simple.

Consumers could read books from their desktop, laptop, and hand held palm computers for ages, the fact that none of those devices were ever created for the purpose of reading means that people were buying them without any intention of reading a book. The iPad is the same situation, an all in one media device, that has its main appeal for video, music, and games. I doubt more than 5 percent of iPad owners are going to be doing serious reading over the life of the first version of the iPad. The iPad will not efficiently expand the ebook market because ebooks on an iPad have to compete with all the other forms of media.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #249
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
If people aren't going to read much on the iPad, then it is not going to expand the ebook market, it's really that simple.

Consumers could read books from their desktop, laptop, and hand held palm computers for ages, the fact that none of those devices were ever created for the purpose of reading means that people were buying them without any intention of reading a book. The iPad is the same situation, an all in one media device, that has its main appeal for video, music, and games. I doubt more than 5 percent of iPad owners are going to be doing serious reading over the life of the first version of the iPad. The iPad will not efficiently expand the ebook market because ebooks on an iPad have to compete with all the other forms of media.

I agree, the range of uses for the iPad puts it more into the Netbook league of devices rather than for book-reading.

After all someone did say he thought people didn't read anymore (didn't he ?).

Or is that a memory of a flash in the pan I hold in my mind ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #250
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I can fit my PRS-505 in the back pocket of every pair of pants I've ever worn.
That really says something about the pants you wear..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #251
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What you say is true, but there are a number of mitigating factors:

1. The iPad is much more suited for reading, in terms of form-factor, than any of the devices you list.

2. Apple are actively promoting it as a reading device. For example, the first time you connect to the Apple App Store with the iPad, it offers to install the "iBooks" application for you, which is an extremely nice bookreader. Also the fact that you can buy and download books wirelessly from the iPad and get "instant gratification" is sure to be a factor, just as it is with Amazon's Kindle.

I think that the iPad will introduce e-reading to a large number of people who would not previously have encountered it. It really is a pretty good reading device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #252
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Thanks Harry, your comments in point 2 are interesting.

Brings the idea of using the iPad for reading to the fore, rather than leaving it as a factory-installed app where it may be 'ignored'.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #253
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The other thing is, Geoff, that all the PD classics are free downloads from the iBookstore, so I'm sure that many people will download a few of them for that reason alone, and with the paid books, you can download a free sample to see what it looks like.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #254
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
You might be right if what you mean is that ebook purchases for the iPad itself won't increase total sales by a whole lot.

But what might be happening is that the availability if the iPad as an ebook reader has hyped the market for ebook devices in general. Certainly there are more articles in the general media about ebooks. So, indirectly, the iPad might well be expanding the market.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #255
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Another opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you actually used an iPad? The Apple case lets you prop it up - it folds over and tucks into a flap at the back.

Again, I have to ask if you've actually USED an iPad? A evening + full day's usage (web browsing and reading) has taken my iPad down from 100% to 78% battery charge. I'd actually call that extremely good!
Totally! I used my iPad constantly on an eight hour car trip and still had 22% battery left when we arrived!

I have to say that one of the features I love the most is the touch screen instead of a mouse. For those of us with "older" eyes, being able to instantly make a web page bigger greatly reduces the eye strain of trying to read the article. Plus since most ads are on the right, by enlarging the page you can crowd out the ads and just have the article visible! I feel like I'm in control!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad