Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Gunnsen
Gunnsen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Choosing a Device, the Hanvon N516?

I'm thinking about buying the Hanvon N516 5". It's the only one available in Iceland and considering tax and tolls it's cheaper than importing the Hanvon outside the country.

I'm currently learning Archeology and lots of the text is only available in .pdf or word files. I was wondering if it can support reading those files and if it can display Icelandic text (Some of the material is in English so this is not a "must" but really preferred).

Also if somebody has the device and doesn't mind testing for me if the Hanvon N516 5" can read Icelandic text.

Here the file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9JOX132U
275.47 KB First chapter in Icelandic Archeology (in .pdf).

The first lines should say this.

Fornmenn og furðuminjar

Frá alda öðli hafa fornminjar vakið forvitni og undrun fólks, og fyrir daga vísindalegrar fornleifafræði féllu minjastaðir gjarnan í flokk með náttúruundrum og þjóðsögulegum fyrirbærum. Nú á dögum hafa alþýðlegar fornleifaskýringar látið fræðimönnum að mestu eftir að skýra uppruna og eðli fornra mannvistarleifa, en þó skýtur furðuminjatrúin upp kollinum enn hér og þar.
Sérkennilegar ....

Also I would like suggestions for other devices that could meet my needs (preferable not to expensive and worldwide shipping).
Gunnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Gunnsen

Okey, I did some research myself and I think that maybe the Amazon Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), might work for me. It ships internationally, shows .pdf and is cheap.

I still can't see if it can display Icelandic characters... so does anybody know or is willing to test it? (link for a .pdf in my previous post).

Much appreciated if somebody can spare the time.
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
DX or any other Kindle works very well in Europe. Its ongoing rapid expansion in that market.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnsen View Post
I'm thinking about buying the Hanvon N516 5". It's the only one available in Iceland and considering tax and tolls it's cheaper than importing the Hanvon outside the country.

I'm currently learning Archeology and lots of the text is only available in .pdf or word files. I was wondering if it can support reading those files and if it can display Icelandic text (Some of the material is in English so this is not a "must" but really preferred).

Also if somebody has the device and doesn't mind testing for me if the Hanvon N516 5" can read Icelandic text.

Fornmenn og furðuminjar

Frá alda öðli hafa fornminjar vakið forvitni og undrun fólks, og fyrir daga vísindalegrar fornleifafræði féllu minjastaðir gjarnan í flokk með náttúruundrum og þjóðsögulegum fyrirbærum. Nú á dögum hafa alþýðlegar fornleifaskýringar látið fræðimönnum að mestu eftir að skýra uppruna og eðli fornra mannvistarleifa, en þó skýtur furðuminjatrúin upp kollinum enn hér og þar.
Sérkennilegar ....

Also I would like suggestions for other devices that could meet my needs (preferable not to expensive and worldwide shipping).
I wouldn't buy the Hanvon.. I bought one in early December last year, and it doesn't really live up to my expectations.. When restarting the unit to read, whatever I was reading, it doesn't start where I left off, and I have yet to find updates on the Hanvon site...

I have just bought a Kindle2, but I don't know what kind of languages they support... I think PDF is mostly 'pictures' of pages, so either should suit your need.

Edit: If you PM me and send me the file, I can have a look... I do not like the 'megaupload' site.

Last edited by lene1949; 01-26-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Edit
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Any reader that reads PDF should be able to show those Icelandic letters. It's more a problem of page size. A document that is made up for an A4 size page almost never shows nicely on a 5" or 6" reader.

I put it on my Mini (Hanlin v5) and the default zoom is just too small to read comfortably.

When I zoom in, your paragraph becomes this:

Quote:
Frá alda öðli hafa fornminjar vakið forvitni og undrun
fólks, og fyrir daga vísindalegrar

fornleifafræði féllu minjastaðir gjarnan í flokk með
náttúruundrum og þjóðsögulegum

fyrirbærum. Nú á dögum hafa alþýðlegar
fornleifaskýringar látið fræðimönnum að mestu eftir

að skýra uppruna og eðli fornra mannvistarleifa, en þó
skýtur furðuminjatrúin upp kollinum

enn hér og þar.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Here some screenshots of your pdf on a Pocketbook360°, in my opinion its readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0007.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	44331   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0008.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	44332   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0009.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	44333   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0010.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	44334  
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Gunnsen

Well, I really can't afford a bigger one (considering that the Icelandic tax/tolls, thanks to the new government, are 25,5%).

So unless somebody knows of a cheap big one I must make due with the smaller ones. Ulli's screenshots doesn't seem to bad either.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
The 360° is 5" anyway
Costs about 250$
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnsen View Post

Fornmenn og furðuminjar

Sérkennilegar ....

My N516 will arrive tomorrow. Give me a week and I'll tel you what I think of it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I've recently bought a Hanvon N516 though I've dumped the firmware for OpenInkpot so I'm not sure I can help with the PDF as I don't think OpenInkpot reflows PDF yet.

It's a decent little device, only grabbed it as a cheap replacement for my damaged Bebook. Should see me a year or two until something more intesting and cheap is on the market.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
Gunnsen

I'm thinking about buying a larger device but it won't be until late summer this year. That way I can take the device through customs and most likely avoid paying the tax.

I know that the Hanvon is a relative new device and maybe it hasn't received much attention yet. If people are generally satisfied with it I'm might buy it later.

I'm very thankful for all the help you guys/girls have provided.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'm certainly learning about my Hanvon, and I love the display... I don't like so much the support... I haven't seen any updates since I bought it... Maybe I shouldn't? It's just that some of the books are not really formatted very well... Mind you! There are 2,100 books preloaded... and they're readable.

I have bought a Kindle, so I'll be able to compare them...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I have had an N516 for a few months now. I am generally happy with it, but have never used any other so have nothing to compare it with. There is a firmware update on the Hanvon website, the latest one came out some time this month. Since installing it I haven't noticed any real difference from before, but I only use epub files.

The main thing I don't like about it is that when you add a bookmark it doesn't resume from the right page, it is always a few pages before that page. It is also quite sluggish to respond to button presses.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote