Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
considering the 300

Hi everyone, I (obviously) don't post to this section very often because I have the 505, which I need to replace. I was hoping to get another 505 but those seem to be more expensive than a brand new 300, so I was thinking maybe this would be a better way to go. I'm assuming the 300 would work just the same as the sony as far as formats, ability to read library books, and hopefully there would be minimal issues when I go to set my 300 up/authorize, etc.

My main question is this. Does the 300 come with a case? Or can I use the case for the 505? I have the lightwedge for the 505 can that be used? I know alot of people have said that the 300 isn't as good as the 505 and I really hate to give up my 505, but I just can't afford the high prices. And none of the ebay auctions look very promising either. I found a 505 for $80 on craigslist that I would LOVE to take off the owners hands, but in order to do that, the owner has to email me back!

All I want is to get back to my reading. I can do that for $179.99 at Frys.

Any other hints/tips on the 300 would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
crovakiet
crovakiet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS300SC
The 300 does not come with a cover and you cant use your 505 cover with it either

If you are planning to buy the 300, and a member of costco, you can buy a bundle from them for $199. It includes a cover and the usb to ac charger. You also get the 90 day return policy, so you can try it out for a bit and return if you don't like it since that's the costco way.
crovakiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Thanks. I'll have to find a cover then. I found the reader at Frys for $179. And I already have a wall charger (psp charger) that I got to use with my 505, so I'm hoping to use that as well with the 300.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I think sonystyle.com has a promo where you can choose the accessory of your choice (not the lighted covers though) for free when you purchase a Reader (either the 300 or 600)
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
heimskringla
heimskringla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
I just purchased a 300 from CompUSA (insert evil references here), and it came with what looks to be a foam (neoprene, perhaps) sleeve. I don't know if that qualifies as a cover or not, but there you have it.

It's my first eInk device, but I do like it quite a lot. My friends tell me that I'll miss being able to highlight and annotate, but I don't generally find that I miss that feature at all.

Last edited by heimskringla; 12-13-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
heimskringla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I spent a few days using a 505 and another few using a 600. I ended up with a 300 and I love it. My primary interest is reading novels and I found, for me, holding a 300 with one hand and turning pages was much more comfortable. I also like not having to mess with SD cards.

The 300 does come with a slip cover and the back has a slightly rubberized back which makes it easy to hold.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I love the 300--been using it (and leaving my 505 on the shelf) since I bought it a few months back. I splurged for the Sony cover because I really detest the covers with the cheeeezy corner straps, and the pouch didn't cut it.

One tip: I just flashed my 300 (from the Russian site linked/discussed here many times) and I have my clock back! I really missed it from my 505 days!!! The flash also has a neat mod where you can use the 5/6 buttons for history forward/back, and the 7/8 buttons for page turns.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Thanks all. Originally, I wasn't impressed with the 300 and planned to keep my 505 forever. But now my screen is all screwed up and I have no choice.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

I suspect you'll get used to the 300 pretty quickly and come to love it too. I did!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
One tip: I just flashed my 300 (from the Russian site linked/discussed here many times) and I have my clock back! I really missed it from my 505 days!!! The flash also has a neat mod where you can use the 5/6 buttons for history forward/back, and the 7/8 buttons for page turns.
What happens if you need to send the unit back for warranty? Can you undo the hack?

The 7/8 page turn function would be really useful for me

PS Would you have a link with instructions on how to do the hack for the 300? I found this but I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about:
http://tinyurl.com/yesvfts

Last edited by xtine; 12-13-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
PRS 900 BC

Kelly,

Go for the PRS 900 BC. In my humble opinion, it beats everyone: all Sony eReaders, Nook and all Kindles.

I've intensively read about all of them and the PRS 900 is the latest and greatest and will be delivered long before the Nook.

Actually, its a kit with charger, great case and size to match almost the Kindle DX.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
What happens if you need to send the unit back for warranty? Can you undo the hack?

The 7/8 page turn function would be really useful for me

PS Would you have a link with instructions on how to do the hack for the 300? I found this but I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about:
http://tinyurl.com/yesvfts
That's exactly the hack/flash I used. (The boroda version - aka 'porkupan' around these parts! There's also another 300 flash version.)

I dl'd the 1.04a version, copied the folder onto my Reader per the instructions, and flashed. Very easy. Don't forget the "fonts for EBL" link if you want cyrillic fonts in your Library software.

Not sure about restoring the original firmware--there might be an img file that can be flashed to restore--I didn't check the entire thread/forum to find if there is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Kelly,

Go for the PRS 900 BC. In my humble opinion, it beats everyone: all Sony eReaders, Nook and all Kindles.

I've intensively read about all of them and the PRS 900 is the latest and greatest and will be delivered long before the Nook.

Actually, its a kit with charger, great case and size to match almost the Kindle DX.
Wow. You've read about these things, and thus know the best one to get? Impressive.

Of course, the PRS-900 isn't even available yet, so if you want a Reader now it's not a good choice. Another factor: the PRS-900 has wifi. I don't want or need wifi in my Reader, nor the associated loss in battery life. The PRS-900 also has a touchscreen. I don't want a touchscreen interface, nor the blurrier and more reflective screen that comes with it.

Guess my opinion is different from yours.

Last edited by DrMoze; 12-13-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I suspect you'll get used to the 300 pretty quickly and come to love it too. I did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Kelly,

I ended up bidding on another 505 on ebay...and WON! So I should be reading again in a few days. My new 505 is Silver. Color wasn't a concern to me, I just wanted to read again!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
heimskringla
heimskringla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Kind of a bummer you didn't go with a PRS-300... we need more fans out there
heimskringla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
Kind of a bummer you didn't go with a PRS-300... we need more fans out there
Maybe we 300 users are enjoying our Readers too much to post more often?