Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New Kindle owner needing help already!

I am currently charging my Kindle for the first time. I had already dowloaded Mobipocket Reader and one huge collection of "Works Of". I opened Mobipocket reader and clicked on "send". I was asked for the name of my device - I made up a suitable name. Next question was "What is the PID of your device?" I have no idea! Is that the Serial Number? Have I just wasted $19.99?
I'm sorry to be so clueless but would really appreciate your help.
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The PID of your Kindle can be derived from the Kindle's serial number. This is complex, but there is a python script around called "kindlepid.py" that does the hard work for you.

However, even having obtained your Kindle's PID, you might be out of luck for this route - some distributors of Mobipocket books won't accept Kindle PIDs for use with Mobipocket books.

In that case, your only options are either to get a refund, or to strip the Mobipocket DRM from the file. The Kindle can read any Mobipocket file that doesn't have DRM.

There are differing opinion on whether stripping DRM for personal use is against US law.

It's definitely worth checking the mobipocket files available here at mobile read. They're all DRM free and will work on the Kindle, and are generally of higher quality than the usual public domain ebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
I am currently charging my Kindle for the first time. I had already dowloaded Mobipocket Reader and one huge collection of "Works Of". I opened Mobipocket reader and clicked on "send". I was asked for the name of my device - I made up a suitable name. Next question was "What is the PID of your device?" I have no idea! Is that the Serial Number? Have I just wasted $19.99?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Welcome to MobileRead, pufff.

Did you buy your book from Amazon? If so, you can re-download it from your "manage my kindle" account.

Was it purchased from Mobipocket? If so, you may have purchased a format that isn't compatible with your device......hopefully they'll refund.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks!

Thanks Guys! I've asked for a refund. Fingers crossed! After looking at all the books that people have uploaded onto this site I don't think I will ever have to buy a book again. This is a major and fabulous resource!
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Thanks Guys! I've asked for a refund. Fingers crossed! After looking at all the books that people have uploaded onto this site I don't think I will ever have to buy a book again. This is a major and fabulous resource!
Well, stick around and learn more, grasshopper!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert