Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Princeton University to sell Kindle Formatted Textbooks

Christian Science Monitor

Quote:
Just as Apple got millions of college students to leave their CD collections at home each September in favor of a tiny iPod, Amazon is trying to convince undergrads that there’s no reason to lug around a backpack full of textbooks. Just buy a Kindle.

This fall, Princeton University Press will begin publishing Kindle-edition textbooks. It’s on a short list of printing houses that are testing the e-textbook waters. (Kindle has also snagged Yale, Oxford, and the University of California.) But Princeton is the only to attempt a Kindle-first launch, offering Robert Shiller’s new economics book “The Subprime Solution” on the Amazon electronic reader two weeks before students can buy a hard copy.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That is pretty damn awesome. I scanned in some of my texts last semester, and it was incredibly useful.
I doubt very much that much of the text books I'd use will be available anytime soon (Religious Studies major) but I think it's a great trend to see!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
As good as this may Sound I have found that even the most advanced search features still consume time sorting thru the results. And I have never been a fan of bookmarking because you end up with so many book marks you forgot which one applied to what you needed. For instance some online classes have open books tests, Could you imagine trying to find information in an Ebook, With the print book you can have open the pertinent chapters and have a little index listed on paper with your notes for certain material covered. And some info you still have to dig for in print. I like the possibilities with digital textbooks I just dont know about the practicality yet.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oxford sounds like a curious choice, gvien that the Kindle isn't sold in the UK! Perhaps they meant the Oxford University Press, rather than the university itself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
*sigh* i wish i had had ebooks when i was at university...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
The Kindle would be great for the supplemental readings and handouts. And a Kindle version of the text book would also be useful in addition to the paper version....would make referencing much easier.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
If only the iLiad had search facilities, it would beat the Kindle hands down as an academic ebook reader, because you can scribble all over the pages (at least in PDFs). But with no searching, and no bookmarks, it's fine for reading journal articles, but useless for longer texts because it takes forever to find anything. No point being able to underline important passages if you have to keep a separate note somewhere else of what page the passage was on!

This is is from experience of six months iLiad use as a history student. I used it for making notes in lectures, and storing and reading short articles, but for longer things (such as old books downloaded from Early English Books Online) I was forced to use my laptop.

The iLiad hardware has so much untapped potential...
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Searching works okay... but bookmarks are really the way to handle these things. The big drawback is, as you said, kind of flipping through the book. Unless you know exactly what you're going for, it's slow going. VERY robust tables of contents are essential.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
My hope is that they aren't just slapping an existing textbook into the Kindle format. I hope they are really taking into account the strong and weak points of the Kindle and ereaders in general and creating textbooks that work well with the technology. I also hope this pushes Amazon to do a software upgrade to make it easier to organize files.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have a Kindle and I love it! But I think it would make a lousy textbook.

The Kindle is great at displaying text for things like novels or newspaper articles, but it sucks at displaying textbook type information that generally contain lots of tables of information, colored images, colored text, information in margins, boxed text, etc. Take a look at any highschool level biology, history, or mathematics textbook and then try imagining duplicating those pages inside the Kindle -- it just can't be done.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle may not be the absolutely perfect textbook reader. But I think this is a good and significant start, and will hopefully inspire new readers that will optimize textbook usage. The boulder is finally starting to roll...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Oh, that is a nice thing to hear. I've still got a lot of my old college textbooks, but it would be nice to have updated editions.

I agree about the color plates and other formatting. I do hope that someday, someone, somewhere, comes up with the perfect ebook, size, format, screen color, the whole ten yards for textbooks.

Just lugging around all of my art history books hurt my back, not to mention my chemistry, physics and astronomy texts. That would have been so very nice to have an ebook that could combine all of them into one lightweight package.

What I would perceive as perfect would be a combination of e-ink with a tablet PC. By that I mean .... ok .... I'll make a list of what I would like to see in a ebook specifically for textbooks:

1. Screen that has text and images in full color;
2. With content easily viewable in bright sunlight;
3. A built-in (but not necessarily back lit) lighting system -- possibly something like the lights I have seen in watches -- that the user could turn on or off as they liked;
4. Ability to write on the screen - highlight and take notes;
5. A version of MS OneNote for taking notes and for collecting highlighted materials from the ebook texts;
6. Roughly magazine sized, to allow for larger color plates and graphs or other data;
7. The ability to split the screen (so that you could view text and take notes at the same time);
8. At least limited internet connectivity so that you could do research directly from the book.

I do love my Kindle, but I can see limitations for its use as a textbook depending on the subject matter. I'm also very fond of my tablet PC, which is great for reading books in PDF format. It also does a nice job of printing sections of a PDF book to it's own notebook format so that you can draw and highlight or take notes all over the text. The only problems with the tablet are (1) battery life, (2) visibility in full sun, and (3) weight.

So .... I would really love to see a product that combined what I love about both. Maybe even a fold away keyboard of the type my tablet PC has.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
A step in the right direction, in as much as the academic publishers seem to be completely inept a developing a proactive e-publishing strategy when left to their own devices. Given that their books usually have small audiences spread across the world, you think they'd have been motivated to do something about this themselves some time before now (no, I'm not bitter about paying high postage for delivery of expensive print texts from overseas...)

Yay for Amazon for giving four big academic publishers a boot in the pants.

At the same time, I hope that when the other academic publishers - the ones that publish most of the stuff that interests me - start to take e-publishing seriously, that they choose to publish in a format that isn't linked to a specific device, and that they don't lock the distribution down to a single retailer.
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #14
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
This is is from experience of six months iLiad use as a history student. I used it for making notes in lectures, and storing and reading short articles, but for longer things (such as old books downloaded from Early English Books Online) I was forced to use my laptop.
The iLiad hardware has so much untapped potential...
actually, there's a modified version of iPDF that does bookmarking, and which works fairly well.. the only thing really missing is a search (and making a ToC using acrobat or something generally helps)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
As good as this may Sound I have found that even the most advanced search features still consume time sorting thru the results. And I have never been a fan of bookmarking because you end up with so many book marks you forgot which one applied to what you needed. For instance some online classes have open books tests, Could you imagine trying to find information in an Ebook, With the print book you can have open the pertinent chapters and have a little index listed on paper with your notes for certain material covered. And some info you still have to dig for in print. I like the possibilities with digital textbooks I just dont know about the practicality yet.
Actually, this is one area where the Kindle excels. You can highlight areas of text and create annotations using the keyboard. The highlighted text and your notes are copied into a text file which appears in the book selection list as "My Clippings". In this file, the book title and clipping location is given (similar to the page number you might have on your paper index) along with the highlighted text and your notes. You can copy the "My Clippings" file to your computer for editing, printing, etc.

Last edited by Elsi; 06-26-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Noting that this was my 300th post at MobileRead
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote