Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
FrankN
FrankN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
THE BEST COMPLIMENT!

I've been making custom Kindle covers for a few weeks and posted a few pictures on this board just to show my progress. Amazingly, with little effort on my part, but with a few posted on EBay, word of mouth and some pictures posted on my website I only wish I could make about half of the request I have received.

Unfortunately there never will be a great volume of my handmade covers as I also have a real job that pays the bills and keeps the children in college. I simply make a few as another hobby or diversion from my real job. The BEST COMPLIMENT that a craftsman can receive is "you're selling these to cheap". I've received this compliment more often than not.

I've been simply amazed at the interest in a hand made item. This is evidenced by the traffic on my website. I've had a useless/nothing website for ten years, simply maintained for an email address. There's nothing there, thus no reason to visit. The site statistics for the past 12 months have averaged less than 500 hits per month. June has proven a different story with over 16,000 hits, increasing 2k each day. The only difference is a few pictures of my custom covers and apparently discussion on a few boards. I discovered yesterday that mention of my covers ranked 3,4 & 7 on the first page of a Google search!

I am flattered and humbled by the interest and positive feedback. I suggest that I get as much gratification making each cover, trimming every loose stitch and custom fitting the Kindle than the people that have purchased. It's far from a money making operation with about $20 net after ecommerce takes their fee, but is supports my hobby and gives a few people pleasure.

In my humble opinion, there if far too many mass produced products made outside this country thus far too few craftsmen. Please continue to support and compliment our craftsmen, trades people and artist.

I've attached a couple of pictures of some recent covers to document my progress. I think I have come a long way from my first John Deere design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	q1open.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	12982   Click image for larger version

Name:	q2closed.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	12983   Click image for larger version

Name:	men front.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	12984   Click image for larger version

Name:	men open.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	12985   Click image for larger version

Name:	frog closed.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	12986  
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
very nice! your complements are well earned
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The covers are quite nice. Any chance you could also do covers for the Sony 505?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
yes those are great, maybe you could see a how-to as well
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unlike a lot of people I'm perfectly happy with the original Kindle cover. But, the brown "bookish" cover you have is *awfully* nice. Wouldn't mind have one of those at all, good job.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
I'm happy with mine, as evidenced by my review.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
What's your website address?
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
What's your website address?
Hey Haggis! Welcome! Come over to the Lounge for a bit of unutterable silliness!
Pshrynk
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pshrynk??? Is this the same Pshrynk I know from a couple of other forums?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
oh, look out y'all, Pshrynk has a posse now...

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-06-2008 at 12:26 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There can be only one!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
There can be only one!
well *that's* a relief...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
pshrynk

Back on topic, this not being the Lounge - Do you have any that say "Don't Panic!" on them?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

I want one like that brown one, third from the left!!!!!!!!!!