Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
robertiv
robertiv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Angry Kobo Glo now has ads/offers/etc? How to disable?

This past winter I purchased a Kobo Glo. One of the big selling points was that its default desktop didn't bombard you with ads, as say the Kindle does.

Then I purchased an Aura HD and haven't used the Glo as a result. This past week however I gave the Glo to my girlfriend - did a factory reset & updated the firmware to the most current version. And suddenly there are various ads and links on the desktop!

"Save up to 90% on your first book! Special offer"
"Top 50 books"
"Reading Lists - New Releases"
etc.

This is really visually intrusive & especially irritating as I specifically bought a full-price Glo to avoid that kind of thing. Is there a simple way to disable this sort of thing, or is she stuck with it?

I do notice some other desktop links like "Take a Quick Tour" and "Get started, add a book to your library", so I'm wondering if some of these become dismissed after regular use?

I have the Kobo Notifications box unchecked, so not sure where else that option would be.
robertiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Glo updated to the new firmware and hence new homepage. As with your AuraHD, the home screen changes as you use it. The tiles you are seeing are the defaults for a newly reset device. Once you start reading books these will disappear off the home screen.

You can get rid of them now by pressing on them for a few seconds and then select "Dismiss tile" from the menu that pops up.

If you are a calibre use, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin. This has an option to dismiss any tile and can prevent them from coming back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert