Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #46
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
My grandfather died just 3 weeks ago from Alzheimer's. It's a terrible thing to see. I voluneetered at a hospice a few years ago and helped out people with Alzheimer's. It's a very sad disease (although I've yet to find a "happy disease").

I cried when Douglas Adams died. I maintain that no one, to this day, has said or written anything that made me laugh more or harder than the works of Douglas Adams. Terry Pratchett is also up there, though. Luckily, he's not dead yet and it could be years still before that day comes. So let's all celebrate the fact that there are still more books coming! There are so few libertarian fiction writers (especially comical ones), though, and I will be sad when he is gone.
Quote:
In a July 24, 2001 interview on the German Web site, www.schmoekerecke.de, Pratchett was asked if there was any politician who was similar to him. No politician "could be like me," Pratchett responded, "because MY parents were married."
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #47
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
The Colour of Magic actually made me laugh out loud, on a train... I've been hooked ever since

Favorites:
- The Nac Mac Feegle
- The witches (all three of them, including Margrat)
- The wizards
- ...and the rest
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #48
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Oh, I've found it to be dangerous to read Terry Pratchett in public. So *much* of each book makes me laugh out loud. I save him for private reading!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #49
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
What's so frightening about laughing out loud in public?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Not nearly as scary as doing so in a public restroom.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #51
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Not nearly as scary as doing so in a public restroom.
[...as Marc files this quote away for some out-of-context use in some future conversation...]

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My favourite has to be "Small Gods". Especially funny if you know a little about the ideas of the Greek philosophers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #54
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I started Small Gods, but it didn't hook me right away the way the various witches stories did. I'll have to give it another try.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #55
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I started Small Gods, but it didn't hook me right away the way the various witches stories did. I'll have to give it another try.
The same goes for me; I did finish it the first time, but didn't think much about it. Some years later I read it again and that time it was a totally different matter! I guess you should read it at a lower pace, the story isn't as quick as the stories which came before, but it does give you a lot of wonderful detail! And a good story besides....
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #56
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I think I'd recommend Wyrd Sisters, Guards Guards, Reaper Man or Moving Pictures.

Those aren't the first books by any means but as I mentioned elsewhere a while ago, TP's first 3 or 4 Discworld books I thought were more "feeling the way" into this new world he was creating. I started to read them first in order and wound up putting them aside for a few years and then happened to read one of the later books which knocked me almost out of my chair laughing. At least that was my experience.

My favorite characters are Gaspode the dog, Death, Granny and all of the Nac Mac Feegle.
The first few books got repetitive by falling back on the dungeon dimensions one too many times, but he moved away from that and even had the guts to make a crack about it in one of his later books. It was the one where they had the dwarven printing press. Vetinari came and started poking around to make sure there wasn't anything eldritch about it. He said that he had learned that anything new everyone was talking about would open up a door to the dungeon dimensions.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #57
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Love his books, Indeed have every book in the Series, Most of the recent ones in Hard Cover. We can just pray that he is able to continue doing what he and all of us love as long as possible.

What I often suggest to people who don't like one or the other of his books is to go and read some of the others. Once you are truly hooked to his wit go back and reread the ones you didn't like. More often then not you will enjoy it quiet a bit more.

And as for the Colour of Magic movie(s), saw it over Easter. Would definitely say it is a must see for fans. And while not everything was as I pictured, they have made great attempt to stay faithful to the books, for They cover both the Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic.

Am waiting for it come out on DVD so can buy my own copy.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:35 AM   #58
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love all of Terry Pratchett's novels but the Watch stories are definitely my favourites.

Although I enjoyed The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, I actually found the story line a bit confusing. However I was pretty young back then so perhaps they would make more sense to me if I reread them.

The only problem with Discworld books is that I can't help but laugh out loud when I'm reading them... as a result I've got some odd looks from people on the bus.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #59
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
I just bought The Colour of Magic from fictionwise in anticipation of reading it on my Cybook when it arrives later this month.

I've watched the Hogfather movie (actually I own it ) I've been meaning to read his books for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #60
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Have played the Discworld Computer Adventure games. Very nice indeed.

He should relax - modern medicine will finde a cure sooner or later.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote