Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I had my PRS505 for 3 days now. I was considering the Kindle and Sony. I love the look of the Sony more but what made me decide to go with Sony is my favorite author. I searched for his books for the Kindle and there was only 3 available, while the Connect Store had 22 of his books. His name is Dean Koontz. I can't believe Amazon only has 3 Koontz books available when he is so popular. But most of all I could not believe how many more books of his at the Connect store! I already downloaded 14 of them, 3 where offered as a bundle!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lilly, that's a very good reason to choose one reader over another. The best reason of all (availability of content).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
In the past two weeks, Sony's total ebook offerings have increased by 7% to just under 27,000 titles with the largest gains in the categories of science and nature (up 24%) and education and reference (up 18%). The direction is good but Sony is still a tremendously long way from making every book available as an ebook - or even just catching up to Amazon. Let's pick up the pace, please!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #19
rsdavis9
rsdavis9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Lilly, that's a very good reason to choose one reader over another. The best reason of all (availability of content).
Thats the reason I finally decided to go ebook. I waited like 3 months and kept on searching for books I wanted to read and found out whether they were:
1. Avail from sony connect
2. Public domain and avail in the upload section
3. Avail in msreader lit format and therefore convertible
4. Available elsewhere(bt)

I now have the prs-505 and I read "all" my books on it. I have used all the above to get content on it. Fortunately of unfortunately I use option 4 above when alll else fails.

bob
rsdavis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #20
imahawki
imahawki began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The Kindle's impact on Sony will all depend on how committed Sony is to this product line. This is basically a format war. Kindle books can't be loaded on a Sony reader, and vice versa (for now). So its like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. We've seen Sony go to great lengths to try and assure the success of Blu-Ray. If they go to the same lengths here, I think we'll see large increases in the availability of content. I hope so any way, since I JUST ordered my 505. I'd hate to see the Kindle wipe it out.
imahawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #21
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I keep thinking Sony and Borders books will come together and sell media for the Sony player

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
In the past two weeks, Sony's total ebook offerings have increased by 7% to just under 27,000 titles with the largest gains in the categories of science and nature (up 24%) and education and reference (up 18%). The direction is good but Sony is still a tremendously long way from making every book available as an ebook - or even just catching up to Amazon. Let's pick up the pace, please!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I keep thinking Sony and Borders books will come together and sell media for the Sony player
That's the plan, we hear, but I don't think we know when it will happen. I'm hoping early 2008.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
That's the plan, we hear, but I don't think we know when it will happen. I'm hoping early 2008.
It's supposed to be 1Q 2008. That's also when Borders is supposed to start opening their new store concept, as well. The new stores are intended to blend the best of B&M with the digital media. They specifically mention buying and downloading digital music, as well as having "mix-and-burn" music kiosks. I'm hoping it will include the new Sony-Borders e-book line of content.

By the way. Has anyone else noticed that Sony seems to be putting a lot more emphasis on the "...and your PC" part of "The eBook Store for Sony's Reader and Your PC"? I think they've identified having a desktop-/laptop-based reader as a marketing edge.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
By the way. Has anyone else noticed that Sony seems to be putting a lot more emphasis on the "...and your PC" part of "The eBook Store for Sony's Reader and Your PC"? I think they've identified having a desktop-/laptop-based reader as a marketing edge.
I had not noticed that. I wonder if they are suggesting that their Connect software (whatever it's called now) is great for your desktop PC. IMHO, it certainly is not, unless there is a full screen mode with better navigating than what I've seen.

I'm wondering (perhaps it's just pointless hoping) that it's an allusion to Adobe Editions which we know they're supposedly supporting on the Reader sometime in the future. Adobe Editions is a much better platform for reading on a desktop than the Connect software.

Okay, I just now have two answers: The latest software version has been renamed eBook Library instead of Connect. And this latest version (not sure I've updated mine) has a full-screen double-pane mode that looks a lot better than before.

Still wish Adobe Editions support would come soon.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The double page, full screen display was available in the last version of the ConnSoft, too.

Perhaps they're emphasizing the "Your PC" part because they want to head off some of the complaint calls they get from non-windows users? :shru:
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
perhaps for some people, spending a few $ to let someone else do the work is money well spent.
I have been explaining to some people how easy it is to reformat a PG book using a few simple regular expressions in Vim and they ran away screaming before I got to the juicier parts.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #27
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Borders has a new beta version of their online store:
http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/Home
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 AM   #28
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
thanks for the link, though many of the features aren't working yet it looks good
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #29
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I couldn't find any link for ebooks, and when I did a search for "ebook" all that came up were paper books about epublishing.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #30
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I couldn't find any link for ebooks, and when I did a search for "ebook" all that came up were paper books about epublishing.
The link to this beta site has been available since mid-Sept and I'm hoping to see it fully operational sometime in 2008 - hopefully early.

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!