Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #151
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You have to careful with it though, and any other device using autocorrect, as it will sometimes change your words if you don't pay attention. Sometimes I send messages that make no sense because the autocorrect didn't recognize the word I was typing and changed it without my noticing. It is especially bad about trying to change acronyms.
Exactly....my daughter has accused me of being "..a really bad texter..."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #152
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I bought the Fire the day before Thanksgiving promised myself don't buy one.

Now, few days later, not sure if I should keep it or return. It is really portable and being an Amazon customer and Prime member boost its potential more.

At this moment, I would give a 7. But because I have my own iPad2 and awesome Android cellphone, I'm not sure how the Kindle Fire can fill any reading gap in my life, besides being another cool toy at home.

Sorry, just being honest.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #153
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Now, few days later, not sure if I should keep it or return. It is really portable and being an Amazon customer and Prime member boost its potential more.

At this moment, I would give a 7. But because I have my own iPad2 and awesome Android cellphone, I'm not sure how the Kindle Fire can fill any reading gap in my life, besides being another cool toy at home.

And another thing must be evaluated as part of it is the Amazon Prime contribution to the desirability. The Prime service is only one month and then you have to anti-up another $80 if you wish to continue that 'availability.'

I personally likely will re-up because there are so many free videos, movies and books along with the shipping on physical items that will - at least for me - easily cover the cost and then some.

(just the Firefly episodes I watched would have been $28 + about $5 - 10 in shipping costs saved already. )

Last edited by kennyc; 11-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #154
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
But because I have my own iPad2 and awesome Android cellphone, I'm not sure how the Kindle Fire can fill any reading gap in my life, besides being another cool toy at home.
I wonder why a person with a pocket device and a tablet would get a Fire. I'm surprised at the number of iPad owners who have decided to take the Fire for a ride.

I wonder too how these people feel about the 7" form. Apple once said that there was no market for a device between the iPhone and the iPad. Is this still true?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #155
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:

I don't think you're the first one in this thread who bought a Fire, and yet already owned another tablet. I thought I was a big gadget nut, but you guys are hardcore

The Fire was my first tablet. Surprisingly, now I'm thinking about getting a second tablet, a generic Android with a 10.1 inch screen.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #156
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I was a Prime customer before but yes, the Prime subscription is one of the main advantages, you're right Kenny.

At bed, is easier to hold and watch movies. However I can do the same with my Galaxy SII but have no access to Prime content of course, only Netflix.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #157
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I wonder why a person with a pocket device and a tablet would get a Fire. I'm surprised at the number of iPad owners who have decided to take the Fire for a ride.

I wonder too how these people feel about the 7" form. Apple once said that there was no market for a device between the iPhone and the iPad. Is this still true?
I love the form factor (compared to my Xoom). I was very skeptical at first but it's so portable, holdable and usable. It's not the best for web browsing but everything else work fine or better.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #158
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Love my Fire! I am a first time Kindle owner but many times owner of eReaders. Mostly iRex readers. I bought my second eReader because I wanted a larger screen. I had to laugh when the Fire arrived and found it to be much smaller than my first eReader. Still, I am liking the size. I think it is the font choices and maybe the backlight. Sure eReaders are great because they have no backlight but what can I say. Actuallly I think it all boils down to the bad eReader refresh rates. I also like having my books, magazines and videos on one device.

My biggest concern is with storage. There are apps that take up quite a bit of storage and I don't want to get in the position of having to retrieve apps so I can have a few books on the device. Sure the size might be small but these larger apps can add up. Not to mention apps that include news items also take up additional space. However I won't be surprised if I discover this is really a non-issue but I do wish we had a card slot.

I also wish the main screen just held favorites.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #159
jocampo
Layback feline

This is the thing.

My Galaxy SII it is too small for browsing and watching movies at bed. But Fire is not too big for that.

If I had to pick one tablet and I am in a tight budget, I would buy a 7 inch one. No wonder why I had a Galaxy Tab 7 inches before; paid about 500 plus taxes back in Jan but sold it because bought the iPad and an Android phone.

However, 7 inches is kind of small for Magazines, in my opinion.

The Kindle Fire best selling point is its own price, plus Prime access: incredible deal and great value for your money.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #160
kennyc

Quote:
However, 7 inches is kind of small for Magazines, in my opinion.

Yep, like the web browsing and some pdfs...I've not used mine for much magazine reading, I have one sample issue and you're right, it's certainly not optimal.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-27-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #161
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I wanted the larger screen primarily for PDF's. Before the Fire I would agree the screen is too small for magazines. However the Fortune and Wired apps do a good job of handling it. I also like the Amazon way of handling magazine view to text view. This allows me to enjoy the look of the magazine page with the ease of reading the text when in text view. For sure the iPad allows one to view and read a magazine the way it was published and that probably should be the goal. Taking into consideration the light weight and ease of holding the Fire I can live with the compromise. A compromise I don't believe is a loss of quality but I do understand your view.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #162
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And another thing must be evaluated as part of it is the Amazon Prime contribution to the desirability. The Prime service is only one month and then you have to anti-up another $80 if you wish to continue that 'availability.'

I personally likely will re-up because there are so many free videos, movies and books along with the shipping on physical items that will - at least for me - easily cover the cost and then some.

(just the Firefly episodes I watched would have been $28 + about $5 - 10 in shipping costs saved already. )
This is what I'm thinking too. I'll probably get the Prime when my trial is up.

I'm really liking my Fire. It does what I want. That's not to say there are a few things I would like changed. Bluetooth, SD card, Darn Carousel, open .mobi by default. Some of these I'm sure will be addressed by Amazon.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #163
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
I wanted the larger screen primarily for PDF's. Before the Fire I would agree the screen is too small for magazines. However the Fortune and Wired apps do a good job of handling it. I also like the Amazon way of handling magazine view to text view. This allows me to enjoy the look of the magazine page with the ease of reading the text when in text view. For sure the iPad allows one to view and read a magazine the way it was published and that probably should be the goal. Taking into consideration the light weight and ease of holding the Fire I can live with the compromise. A compromise I don't believe is a loss of quality but I do understand your view.
My sentiments exactly. Love the "text view" option. That, along with thumbnail images of the actual magazine pages that can be blown up is all that I need. That was my favorite feature on the NOOKcolor. It's great that they incorporated it into the NOOK app. Wonder if Amazon will do the same with the Kindle app. Right now it's basically an RSS feed for magazines. Plus some magazines aren't even available within the app.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #164
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Oh, so that's what that was! I thought you were losing it a few times.
That too, on occasion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Exactly....my daughter has accused me of being "..a really bad texter..."
I abbreviate a lot when sending text messages and the autocorrect will go nuts with abbreviations and acronyms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

I personally bought my iPad 1 because there were no in between screen sizes at the time. At least not on tablets/devices that worked. I have an iPod touch 4G and find it is really too small. The iPad is too large for what I use it to do. Both are overly closed--though now that Jobs is dead maybe Apple will loosen up a bit, though I doubt it. I was miffed that Jobs refused to consider a 7" iPad, but then again I'm pretty much tired of Apple's closed system. plus the iPad has a low resolution screen with terrible text rendering that makes prolonged reading a literal headache in my case. The 7" Fire does everything I want and need and it is in the size and footprint that I wanted. Its screen is easy to read and the price is great. The iPod touch and iPad will now be sold as they no longer get used.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #165
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bought my Kindle Fire yesterday, and I'd probably rate it a 7 or 8. Overall I'm happy with it, but there are a few negatives. The screen is very reflective, the speakers are both on one side, and I don't really like the carousal very much. Still, it's very useable. Oh, and the default browser doesn't automatically spellcheck.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote