Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
DavidC
Edge User

What do you use for music?

OK, so this may be more of a generic Android question than eDGe specific, but certainly not unrelated.

Scenario:
I am both an eDGe and a Moto Droid user.
For a long time I have been using iTunes/iPod for music and podcasts. (actually made the swap to the 'i' family for ease of podcasts many moons ago)
I no longer need iTunes as I use an Android app to get my podcasts.
My droid and my eDGe are plenty sufficient as players of said media.
I don't have much DRM locked stuff so that's not really a concern.

My question is rather than using a 3rd party mediator to copy iTunes library/playlists over (which is never 100% successful) is there a decent app for arranging my music library, playlisting, etc that natively syncs to Android or even perhaps can be ON my eDGe (one more thing I wouldn't use my PC for maybe)?

Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
PhysicsFan
Edge User

I found the default Android media player to be rather weak. The clip-art inspired UI I could overlook, however, its inability to catalog music files makes it all but useless. I loaded over 2GB of songs and a whopping four were accessible in the media player! A Google search revealed I'm not the only person with this problem. In my case, it doesn't appear that Android knows what to do with music filenames with dashes or underlines. People also report that it can't handle v2 id tags.

I've now switched to an app called museek. It has an option to organize and navigate your music collection visually. I haven't decided if this is useful or gimmicky yet. It's free and can be downloaded directly from their site. It doesn't run full-screen natively and I haven't had time to try converting it. There's an error box that pops up right after boot but after that it works fine.

Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
PhysicsFan
Edge User

borisb - Glad to hear it worked for you Were your songs on the internal storage or external SD card? Did the filenames contain dashes, underscores, or non-alphanumerics?

In my case, the songs were on the internal storage. I also found it interesting that the only four songs to show up were the first four filenames without dashes or underscores.

Another oddity I found is how Android deals with filenames that contain accent characters. I've found that I cannot move, rename, delete, etc. any of these files. I have to connect my Edge to my PC and use Win Explorer.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
kenjennings
Edge User

I just use KAudioCreator on an openSuse system and rip CDs to Ogg format, then just play them using the regular music utility on the edge. Nothing fancy or extra going on here.

The same ripped music archive (80-ish CDs) residing on my iRiver player was copied to the edge's SD card and the majority of Albums, songs, and titles were understood and organized by the edge. There are just a couple CDs that mysteriously transferred with unknown album titles, unknown artists, and unknown track titles.

Last edited by kenjennings; 05-16-2010 at 10:21 AM.