• Margins

Customization options

Custom metadata - Replaces original ODT metadata in output
odt2epub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is a for-pay service?

Why would someone pay for this when calibre can convert .odt to .epub for free? (Not to mention there are at least two .epub plugins for OpenOffice in development...)

And if you want to do it online, you can use this?

What am I missing here?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
odt2epub
odt2epub began at the beginning.

Well, I checked 2EPUB service and tested it one of my sample files, and at least one reason comes to mind: quality?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

In what ways does yours deliver better quality?

Not trying to put down your app.-- it just would seem to make sense to let us know in what way the quality is better. I'm certainly not going to pay to test it without knowing in what ways yours is better.
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
odt2epub

Quality in the sense that the output looks more like a book and not just some packaged HTML.

There is no catch -- you can test it first, without paying. You'll get a truncated version of the output.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by odt2epub View Post
Quality in the sense that the output looks more like a book and not just some packaged HTML.
Care to be more specific? ePubs are packaged XHTML -- how much they look like a book is surely going to depend on how well the CSS (styles in an ODT) are made to look bookish, and I wouldn't want my converter messing with my styles.

Quote:
There is no catch -- you can test it first, without paying. You'll get a truncated version of the output.
I tried one, and it didn't give me a trial document. I uploaded an ODT file, but got a 404 file not found error when I tried to download the trial result. The "ePub validator" window said:

Quote:
[top level]: I/O error: /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/webapps/ROOT/sample/8641f298-714d-4aec-a4ee-7c0e32a116df.epub (No such file or directory)
I was able to get a perfectly useable "book-looking" ePub from both calibre and 2EPUB from the same file.

Therefore, it's hard to validate your claims. Perhaps I'll try another file when I get a chance.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
odt2epub

Thanks for the feedback. Is the sample file private or can I get a look at it? It would help to solve the issue.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard

The file is a public-domain book, which I've edited in HTML form, and then converted to ODT from HTML in Open Office for the purpose of this test. Normally I'd just convert the HTML directly to ePub, but I didn't have another lengthy ODT file to test with it handy. (I've already uploaded the book here to MobileRead in several formats, converting in other ways.)

The conversion to ODT itself lost some formatting -- but I was mainly looking for the overall resuling look, not the fine details.

Here it is. (I had to zip it to upload it here, since MR won't take .odt files as extensions.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip imp-c.odt.zip (159.0 KB, 229 views)
Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
odt2epub

Thanks a lot for a test case.

There were minor problems indeed, caused mostly by the very fact that the ODT file originally was imported from XHTML, which resulted in external links and non-standard image types.

There is still a couple of issues of the same kind, but at least now the ePub is readable (attached). Let me know what you think.

Fixed version is not yet deployed online though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip imp-c.zip (180.9 KB, 237 views)
Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard

Thanks for that!

I had to rename the .zip to .epub of course.

It looks about exactly the same as the ones I got from calibre and 2epub, with the only exception being that yours adds a margin on the sides, whereas the one made with 2epub doesn't. I prefer it without the margins. My favorite of the three is the one made by calibre, where I got to pick such settings. I didn't notice until now that all three lost the images. I guess that's from the conversion process from html to odt. The original images are .gifs IIRC, and if I convert directly from html to epub with calibre, they work.

I appreciate your point about converting from another format first adding complications. Next time I come across some native .odt documents that I want to convert to ePub, I"ll try your app, and give more feedback then. I don't think I have any .odt documents sitting around now that weren't converted from some other format (e.g., .doc, .rtf, etc.) to test with.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
odt2epub

http://odt2epub.com is updated -- take a look!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
clarity
clarity began at the beginning.

Device: none
no TOC is a major issue if you've styled it with the rest of the book and also if you have multiple TOCs, e.g. a table of sub-sections, figures, tables, etc. at the end the book.

Also, can you choose how to break files? Header 1 or Header 2 etc.?

Font inlining?
clarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
odt2epub

odt2epub.com updated

Hey all,

http://odt2epub.com (online OpenDocument to ePub converter) got a major facelift!

New things:
  • New design
  • Free test conversions
  • Improved features & compatibility
    • Paragraph/character styles
    • Lists
    • Tables
    • Page-breaks
    • Table of Contents
    • Cross-references
    • Footnotes
    • Margins
  • User accounts
  • Reasonable pricing
New free book samples and OpenOffice tips included.

Give it a spin - feedback is welcome.

Tags
conversion, epub, odt, opendocument