Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Is pdf reading on the dx still crap?

I 've not followed the kindle upgrades in a while, but I am in the market for a large screen reader an seeing as I can't repair my irex ds, and the competition is meager (so long plastic logic...our current last hope), I am loooking very reluctantly at the kindle. And I am reluctant because do be frank I don't like the way amazon contact their bussiness.

so I am wandering have any real usability changes been implemented on the dx, that would render pdf reading a pleasurable experience and not the parody that it was when I last checked?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
I'm waiting for the new Kindle DX to get some reviews about how is the pdf support.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There don't appear to be any firmware changes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
If Amazon were to add a TOC feature, optional reflow, and better zooming, I think it would be by far the best PDF reader. As things stand it's still pretty good.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
If Amazon were to add a TOC feature, optional reflow, and better zooming, I think it would be by far the best PDF reader. As things stand it's still pretty good.
Add to that list true full screen capability (instead of reserving some of the top and bottom for menu items). And if they add TOC functionality I'm sure they will also include internal link support in general.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
harryE123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What the heck have they been doing for a year? A dime and dozen companies have better pdf readers in their devices, the ipad has hundreds of them by developers all over the world...
Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The 2.5.3 firmware change has added PDF pan and zoom. Five zoom choices are available - fit-to-screen, 150%, 200%, 300%, and actual size.

The pan feature lets you choose what portion of the page is shown at any given time.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
The 2.5.3 firmware change has added PDF pan and zoom. Five zoom choices are available - fit-to-screen, 150%, 200%, 300%, and actual size.

The pan feature lets you choose what portion of the page is shown at any given time.
Many thanks for info.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
harryE123
Banned

yeah but is it any good, that is, is it well implemented?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post

Sorry, you misunderstand me. What I mean is that there are no changes specific to the Graphite DX. I am of course aware that there have been PDF improvements in the new firmware for the entire Kindle range. It's still, however, rather poor compared to many other devices.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Harry, for the sake of clarity, can you specify which PDF features of many other (comparable) devices is lacking in the Kindle DX?

For me, by far the best PDF feature of the KDX compared to "many other devices" is the fact that it has a 9.7 inch screen. That's not to say it's by any means perfect.

That aside, my only request would be if it could have a TOC feature for PDFs and/or PDF bookmarks.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Harry, for the sake of clarity, can you specify which PDF features of many other (comparable) devices is lacking in the Kindle DX?
The killer, for me personally, is lack of hyperlink/toc support. It makes using any type of "reference" material, where items are hyperlinked, or referenced in a table of contents, essentially impossible.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Harry, I agree. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the reading experience on the DX is poor. I do a lot of reading on mine -- mostly PDFs. TOC/hyperlink support would give it that extra important level of attraction.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The actual reading experience is excellent, I agree. It's the lack of navigation support that's the issue. If all you're doing is reading short journal articles, say, then it's great.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
harryE123
Banned

how hard is it for amazon to implement hyperlink functionality....makes no sense...