Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I can also volunteer to be a US-based relay point for sending your Sony 505 in for updating. Contact me via PM .
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Wow, that's going to a deal of trouble on Sony's part. I don't think I've ever heard of a company doing this for its customers. Usually outmoded electronics are simply left unsupported.

Good move, Sony.
They have a business reason to support PRS-500 if they don't support them they can not sell them their books once the store transitions over to ePUB.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
They have a business reason to support PRS-500 if they don't support them they can not sell them their books once the store transitions over to ePUB.

=X=
Sort of an ambivalent reason: most companies would simply expect/force you to buy new hardware, not offer to 'fix' your old hardware for free.

Most hardware is backward-compatible. Offering to make old hardware forward-compatible is practically unheard of. At least, I never heard of anyone doing this before.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, there is certainly some business justification for this exceptional offer - the ability to continue selling e-books, and some sense of obligation (maybe even legal, but probably not) to keep support for previous e-book sales, and of course the desire to keep the interest of the money-spending early adopters that could easily become their best customers long term going forward if they can continue to produce competitive products.

But no matter how you slice it, the offer to even pay shipping is quite exceptional and generous! So despite whatever self-interest, I think it's still an exceptional move in terms of customer support by Sony. I have a PRS-500 and am thrilled to hear this news.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Great news. I suspect they must have a number of 500 users out there and they are calculating/expecting sales of new epub to offset the costs of the upgrade. I can't imaging it's too extensive or they would likely have only provide an upgrade (i.e. trade-in for a 300 or 600).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I wonder if the upgrade has any "side effects"?
* Does it supply any new features?
* Will it make hacks impossible?
* Does the amount of internal storage change?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
I cannot send my PRS-500 to be updated from outside the US, but then again I cannot buy ebooks legally from the Sonny store, either. Of course, I got my PRS-500 ilegally (or probably alegally) through a middleman in the US in the first place, so I should not complain.

It would have been nice to trade it in as a discount for a Sony Touch Reader, but of course I cannot do that either from outside the US. It's a pity, I was so eager to give Sony my money...

Someone said something of a global village?
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #23
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I've already submitted to send in both of our 500s (my wife and I each have one). The only problem is, the "click here" for the free ups label doesn't work, and it didn't send us an email like it said they would. So, I've got an email into support find out how the heck to get the free shipping label.

If they had offered a little more for the trad-in, I would have done that, but considering you can sell a 500 on ebay for 100 - 125, the trad-in isn't worth it. So I'll upgrade it, then decide whether to sell on ebay so I can upgrade my wife to a 600.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
I did call Sony and asked to speak with a supervisor, as the initial person did not know what this upgrade was all about. The program, just released today will only, per the supervisor upgrade the Sony software for to read Epub. I asked about hardware changes and he said none...
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
therealcmj
therealcmj began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Don't call quite yet

I didn't get the email but I just called the posted phone number.

The support reps don't have the info on how to do this quite yet and suggested calling back later in the week.
therealcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

=X=
Actually, it might be quite the opposite. Because they could continue to sell the ebooks from there store in BBeB format and ePub format to continue supporting the 500.

But, once they do this upgrade the 500 will no longer be limited to buying from the Sony store, but opens up a world of eBooks stores and libraries too.

So, by doing this they could be loosing sales.

Is the upgrade free?

Also, not sure why they dropped the discount. When the 505 came out they gave you $100 off on trade in. I guess because they 500's are all a year older now than the last offer.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
I've already submitted to send in both of our 500s (my wife and I each have one). The only problem is, the "click here" for the free ups label doesn't work, and it didn't send us an email like it said they would. So, I've got an email into support find out how the heck to get the free shipping label.

If they had offered a little more for the trad-in, I would have done that, but considering you can sell a 500 on ebay for 100 - 125, the trad-in isn't worth it. So I'll upgrade it, then decide whether to sell on ebay so I can upgrade my wife to a 600.
Are you sure, it didn't get caught by you spam filter? I've had that happen a couple of times with shipping labels.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #28
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
so I can upgrade my wife to a 600.
I would expect that a wife has a better trade-in value than that. I would want at least a CD of ebooks AS WELL as a 600
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I would expect that a wife has a better trade-in value than that. I would want at least a CD of ebooks AS WELL as a 600
at LEAST.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post