Notices

Old 02-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
q2jc30
q2jc30 began at the beginning.

Device: D00701
Is my Kindle 2 International dead?

1) I have a Kindle 2, international, probably jailbroken
2) It was running on Kindle version 3.2.1
3) I was late with the security patch that came out in March, and now can not update it manually (probably because of the jailbreaks?)
4) In my frustration, I unregistered it, and tried to re-register. Now it says "no connection."
5) I typed in 411, and got this:

411 Page
The FIRS, WEBSITE, TODO, CDE server is DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
Certificate: MISSING
Device Registered? NO
Serial Number: B003BOA201970821
Radio Serial Number: 89014104233340731964
Waveform Version: V110_B123_60_WE9101_D (M04, S/N816)
IMSI: 310410334073196
Roaming Version Number: (unknown)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/g7g/xyml1/
OTA Current / Update Version: 576290015 0
System Software Version: 015-S2-057629
Version: Kindle 3.2.1 (576290015)

I am technologically retarded, so please tell me, is there any hope?
q2jc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Deleted

Last edited by SKK; 02-03-2017 at 07:36 PM.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don't think a jailbreak should prevent updates from being installed unless other significant changes were also made to the device.

The fix to allow connection to Amazon just replaces an expired security certificate. Check the Kindle (2nd Generation) Software Updates page for the "Kindle Services Update" and try just installing that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm having the same problem with my Kindle 1. It connects to the wireless network, but cannot connect to Amazon and Kindle Store. Pretty sure that I did the cert update, as it was working six months or so ago. But maybe I'll try that again.

Problem is that I don't reside in a coverage area and can only test it by venturing out.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
q2jc30

I bought another older kindle, model D005, definitely un-jail-broken, and updated it to version 2.5.8 with no problem. But it won't register. Amazon said again that something is wrong with my device. Upon entering 411 on the settings, I got essentially the same message as previously, except on this one the certificate is FOUND. I believe that Amazon released something in their updates that prevents older kindles from being able to register. That way, you have to buy a new one. Meanwhile, they are lying about it, blaming the device.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2jc30 View Post
Meanwhile, they are lying about it, blaming the device.
Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Your software versions and Kindle models/serial numbers are just not adding up. First you say you have a K2 international, but that it's running software v3.2.1. But version 2.5.8 is the highest software version available for K2s.

Then you say you have an older D005 model that you upgraded to v2.5.8, but there is no Kindle model whose serial starts with D005. Perhaps you meant a DX (B005)?

For what it's worth, my K2 US (B0002 running 2.5.8) is connecting, syncing, and downloading just fine. So I don't think there's a plot to force users to upgrade. Once I get a full charge on the device (been in the closet a while), I'll try deregistering/reregistering it to see if I run into problems.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What message would the device give you when you try to register if it was blacklisted? Sounds like these were used devices purchased and if it won't let the OP register them that would be the 1st thing that would come to mind.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I can't deregister my perfectly legal K2 US right now. I get a "can't connect at this time" message (even though the device is syncing and downloading from my archive just fine).

Servers are DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN (certificate found).

All updates (including the kindle services (cert) update are applied. Guess I'll try again another day.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
Stead
Stead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX graphite
I have a KINDLE DXG;
I just recently bought as brand new, sealed.
However I can not register it.
I updated to 2.5.8 and the service update.
411 page looks fine;
Just does not allow me to register.
I can browse the Amazon book store.

Please help!!

Quote:
1) I have a Kindle 2, international, probably jailbroken
2) It was running on Kindle version 3.2.1
3) I was late with the security patch that came out in March, and now can not update it manually (probably because of the jailbreaks?)
4) In my frustration, I unregistered it, and tried to re-register. Now it says "no connection."
5) I typed in 411, and got this:

411 Page
The FIRS, WEBSITE, TODO, CDE server is DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
Certificate: MISSING
Device Registered? NO
Serial Number: B003BOA201970821
Radio Serial Number: 89014104233340731964
Waveform Version: V110_B123_60_WE9101_D (M04, S/N816)
IMSI: 310410334073196
Roaming Version Number: (unknown)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/g7g/xyml1/
OTA Current / Update Version: 576290015 0
System Software Version: 015-S2-057629
Version: Kindle 3.2.1 (576290015)

I am technologically retarded, so please tell me, is there any hope?
Stead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
q2jc30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Your software versions and Kindle models/serial numbers are just not adding up. First you say you have a K2 international, but that it's running software v3.2.1. But version 2.5.8 is the highest software version available for K2s.

Then you say you have an older D005 model that you upgraded to v2.5.8, but there is no Kindle model whose serial starts with D005. Perhaps you meant a DX (B005)?

For what it's worth, my K2 US (B0002 running 2.5.8) is connecting, syncing, and downloading just fine. So I don't think there's a plot to force users to upgrade. Once I get a full charge on the device (been in the closet a while), I'll try deregistering/reregistering it to see if I run into problems.
My K21 is running v3.2.1, and that is why I say that it has been hacked. After it would not register, I bought another one, this time a Model D00511 (Serial B002A), and updated it, but it won't register, either. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My K21 is running v3.2.1, and that is why I say that it has been hacked. After it would not register, I bought another one, this time a Model D00511 (Serial B002A), and updated it, but it won't register, either. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem. Now that I've performed a factory reset on my K2, I'm experiencing the same problem. I've got software v2.5.8 and the Kindle Services update installed and 5 bars of coverage that allows me to browse the Kindle Store, but the device refuses to register ("Unable to connect at this time").

It's an old device that I don't really care that much about any more, but Amazon needs to come clean on whether they're still fully supporting these older devices or not

All I can say is: if you have a 1st or 2nd generation Kindle (or DX) that you love, and it's still functioning properly: do NOT ever deregister it or perform a factory reset. It may just never re-register again.

I don't mind if they drop support for these older devices, but they shouldn't be wishy-washy about it and have CS reps hint that you may need to upgrade. They need to make an official announcement (or fix the issue).
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Amazon should drop support for any device that does not support KF8. That means then you can make eBooks using features of KF8 and not have to ever worry about Mobi again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Amazon should drop support for any device that does not support KF8. That means then you can make eBooks using features of KF8 and not have to ever worry about Mobi again.
I have no problem with that personally, but I'm not going to tell people they have to say goodbye their old standbys.

If they do, Amazon needs to be upfront (and loud) about dropping support for these devices.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I imagine the key server used for registering these devices is off-line or has died.

Such a situation happened with Adobe Creative Suite 2, and users were unable to activate the software. The solution was to let them download a version that did not require activation, as there was no way to recover or rebuild the key server, because of the implementation (meant to prevent possibility of a rogue key server etc.). But by that time, CS2 was 10+ years old.

If a similar situation applies here it probably means the devices will never again be able to register. And yes, Amazon should have some remedy for that. Let's see: how about a free Oasis with 3G (at least for K1 owners like myself, which originally cost more than an Oasis+3G)?

Last edited by tomsem; 02-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote