Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #23731
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We've had an intact cat in heat in the house once and I hated it; mainly because every time I turned around she'd be pointing her butt in my direction and winking. Sorry kitty. Homey don't play that.
Lol. (Mostly because I thought I was the only one left who still says, "Homey don't play that.")
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #23732
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Lol. (Mostly because I thought I was the only one left who still says, "Homey don't play that.")
Actually, that may be the first time in years I'm said that, but the Homey character was one of the best things about that show.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #23733
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes. I remember, full well (and it's been--wait for it--dog's years since I went through this) the last female I had in heat inside a house, and what an agony it was. The screaming alone (and, of course, she was a Siamese) drove me bats.

I don't envy you, KK. How is it that you ended up with a Savannah that, apparently, belongs to someone else, in your house? I mean, she's obviously not a rescue, given her breeding; did you sign a contract with her breeder that agreed to give her this type of control?

With our MC's, I actually had to sign a contract stating that I wasn't going to breed them (this was about price), because the pricing for them to breed was higher than as pets, for the same cat. Given I have zero interest in adding to the (already horrible over-abused/dumped/etc.) cat population, regardless of any perceived "gains" vis-a-vis selling kittens, I was happy to sign it. These were our first "boughten" cats in years, as the rest had been rescues, either from rescue shelters or literally rescued-by-us cats. Our previous purebreds had been some decades ago.

Hitch
No, she belongs to me, well the dog might have an opinion on that. The breeder was trying to keep her options open with the possibility of bringing an outside Male in. As a former dog breeder, I can appreciate options.besides, the possibility of being left with a5 to 10k kitten as a fee isn't hard to swallow. I do think though that we need to sort this this calendar year. It's kind of like childbirth. You forget how horrible it is until you're in the moment.

Edit due to phone issues... The forgetting of the agony of childbirth and cats in heat and the resultant cuteness of humans and kittens is probably the only reason both species have not died out

Last edited by kindlekitten; 04-03-2014 at 11:27 PM.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #23734
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
No, she belongs to me, well the dog might have an opinion on that. The breeder was trying to keep her options open with the possibility of bringing an outside Male in. As a former dog breeder, I can appreciate options.besides, the possibility of being left with a5 to 10k kitten as a fee isn't hard to swallow. I do think though that we need to sort this this calendar year. It's kind of like childbirth. You forget how horrible it is until you're in the moment.

Edit due to phone issues... The forgetting of the agony of childbirth and cats in heat and the resultant cuteness of humans and kittens is probably the only reason both species have not died out
Your female is an F1? Really?

Don't get me wrong, love 'em, they're gorgeous, but when I look at those price tags (and all the wrangling that has to occur with the servals to keep the "breed" going as it is), I think to myself..."It's a cat, not a car." ;-)

Plus, I always have real concerns when a breed (of cats, horses, dogs, pot-bellied pigs, etc.) becomes the "fad du jour." This must worry you, too, I'm sure. I think that all the wrong people (not talking about you, obviously) end up with them, whether it's celebutwits with dogs in their purses or spoiled rockstars that dump their pets in Germany and forget about them, or that poor potbellied pig that had to be rescued from I-forget-which "rap star" in NY (not to mention the tiger). Just because someone can write a $20K check doesn't mean that they should necessarily be the "right" person for a particular animal,and we both know that far too many breeders only see the checks, not the future "home" of the kitten/puppy/foal/piglet, etc.

I was involved in a breed of horses that became "the hot new thing," and I bailed out of it for that reason. We had people who barely knew the nose from the tail entering the breed, all those women whose parents never got them that pony when they were 5, and we started to end up with a lot of colts that should have been gelded but never were (so that their star-struck owners could "stand a stallion,") badly trained and very large animals that were raised by people who didn't know the first thing about training foals...it was fairly disastrous for the breed, and of course, the thing that suffers when that happens is that the animals end up being put down or (in the case of horses, sold for meat), or if they are very lucky, a rescue organization takes them, but...well. When a more-than-1200lb. horse is badly trained and unreliable, there's only one future for that animal, and it isn't pretty.

And I concur:

Quote:
The forgetting of the agony of childbirth and cats in heat and the resultant cuteness of humans and kittens is probably the only reason both species have not died out
100%. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #23735
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I can't begin to tell you the level of vetting this breeder does with her prospective owners. I swear my army security clearance was less invasive.Lol
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #23736
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I can't begin to tell you the level of vetting this breeder does with her prospective owners. I swear my army security clearance was less invasive.Lol
I'm quite sure. (My security clearance for the Army was pretty damned invasive, too, FWIW.)

However, when I see Savannah breeders' sites, what I see are a lot of celebutwits, etc., brandishing these animals (some at awards' red carpets, where I'm pretty damned sure no cat WANTS to be) like the latest fashion accessory. I agree, Savannahs are lovely, but between having to keep Servals captive to keep the breed going, the price tag(s) and the "fad breed" issues, I'd personally rather acquire my cats either through adoption or via paying a (relatively) normal price for my MC's and give the other $9-20K or what-have-you to no-kill shelters, myself.

BUT: to each their own, and just being able to afford F1/F2 Savannahs means you are doing quite well. Good for you.

HItch
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #23737
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
...(My security clearance for the Army was pretty damned invasive, too, FWIW.)...
The military can get rather stringent in that regard. Security on the military base I was working on prior to my retirement called me in about five years ago to ask me about a joint I smoked in 1970.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #23738
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The military can get rather stringent in that regard. Security on the military base I was working on prior to my retirement called me in about five years ago to ask me about a joint I smoked in 1970.
Well, rather. Humorously enough, me too...although, at the time the alleged offense was only a few years' prior. ;-) It never was my cuppa (pot--puts me right to SLEEP, so hardly my "party drug of choice" in my wild oats days), thank heavens, so I was able to answer that one quite truthfully. ;-)

They did, however, ask some incredibly intrusive questions about the parentage of some of my relations, vis-a-vis conception dates versus dates of their (presumed) parents' marriages, which I thought was rather irritating. Not to mention, truly ancient history (decades if not several scores earlier). After all...MI; weren't they seeking bastards, after all?

Hitch
Old 04-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #23739
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Dad just got nailed by an email phishing attempt. They simulated an (outrageously expensive) Itunes purchase that he never made, and gave him a carefully crafted address that looked like Itunes to dispute it. He went there, was prompted to give them his financial data, etc. -- which he did.

He realized something was wrong as soon as he did it, touched base with me and one of my brothers (his IT department).

Anyway, he's been spending his afternoon making phone calls. His old credit card has now been canceled, new one on the way, he removed his billing info from his Itunes account, etc. It's going to be a pain in the butt.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #23740
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It is going to be a RPITA. But at least he realized it quickly. Hopefully he got to it before they did too much damage.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #23741
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Dad just got nailed by an email phishing attempt. They simulated an (outrageously expensive) Itunes purchase that he never made, and gave him a carefully crafted address that looked like Itunes to dispute it. He went there, was prompted to give them his financial data, etc. -- which he did.

He realized something was wrong as soon as he did it, touched base with me and one of my brothers (his IT department).

Anyway, he's been spending his afternoon making phone calls. His old credit card has now been canceled, new one on the way, he removed his billing info from his Itunes account, etc. It's going to be a pain in the butt.
Oh, NO!

Well, at least he was on the ball enough to catch it. That's super, and it's great that he has you and your brothers (boy, do I know what you mean about being the familial IT unit) to rely upon. What a bugger that is! (The phishing, I mean, not you guys being the IT department!)

Hitch
Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #23742
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he caught everything in time.

Just yesterday I posted this on Facebook as a warning to my own family:

Quote:
I just got a letter from Paypal stating that my account has been limited ("Case Number: Complaint-176-534-356") and they need some additional information from me restore my eBay & PayPal accounts access. OH! And BTW: They spelled PayPal wrong. It's NOT PayPall.

Watch out for the phishes, my friends!
Of course the email contained a link (that I wasn't about to click on).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-08-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #23743
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
One of the things I learned to do a long, long time ago was set my email readers to use Plain Text mode. All those links? You can suddenly see where they REALLY go.

It may not make for pretty email, and you'll miss some of the cat pictures, but it is the simplest, cheapest, and one of the most effective ways to use email safely.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #23744
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Outlook does a pretty good job of catching these things. That one was in my spam folder, but I always make it a habit never to click on links in email.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #23745
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One of the things I learned to do a long, long time ago was set my email readers to use Plain Text mode. All those links? You can suddenly see where they REALLY go.

It may not make for pretty email, and you'll miss some of the cat pictures, but it is the simplest, cheapest, and one of the most effective ways to use email safely.
I've used plain text mode from the beginning. As a matter of principle, if you can't express your point in plain text, HTML or the like won't help you.

Setting your email client to always use plain text can be fun. At a prior employer, I set up Outlook to do so, and was nonplussed when a list I was on that required plain text posting complained about mine. It seemed that while I had Outlook properly configured, Outlook talked to Exchange Server, and Exchange Server was undoing my efforts before sending the mail. The Exchange Admin had to dig to find out where to fix that. (Outlook Express could be forced to display incoming mail as plain text. Full Outlook made that trickier.)

These days I use Gmail as my primary email account. Gmail's filters are the best I've seen, and spam and phishes all get flagged and labeled as Spam, and never appear in my Inbox. I prefer the browser interface, I don't need a local copy of mail and Gmail implements viewers for most common attachment types, so my mail and any attachments live on Gmail's servers, and never actually reach my machine.)

An additional security measure I recommend if you use Windows is to change the default behavior of hiding extensions of known file types. One of the primary vectors for exploits is malicious email attachments. If "Hide extensions for known file types" is on, you don't know that Cute Kitten Picture.jpg attached to your mail is actually Cute Kitten Picture.jpg.exe, because the exe extensions is hidden, and you click to see it, well...

(To change that behavior, in Windows Explorer, click Tools and select Folder Options. In Folder Options select the View tab. Under Advanced Options, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness