Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
nbsp and nnbsp codes

Hi

I have seen recently that calibre's editor changes named entities - and numbered entities - for their unicode equivalent. On a personal point of view, I must say that I like this better than to see the old nbsp pepped all over my texts..

As far as nbsp and nnbsp (narrow ...) are concerned, I have two questions:

1. - could the nnbsp (narrow no-break space) be added to the "Preferred" ones that we can find in the Insert special character window? Can a user add one character among these preferred ones?

2. - calibre's editor gives a "unicode" character to nbsp and nnbsp. I would like to know which one exactly in order to be able to perform a search and replace. Of course, I can copy and paste these entities, but knowing the exact code used by calibre seems to be the normal way.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit...ial-characters
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also, if you type in   the editor will replace it for you when you type the ";"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for you instant reply. I see we are living in neighbouring countries and realize that I type quicker than I think...

The manual says that to code the nbsp, I should use a0 and then type Alt+X
a0 is for me typically difficult to find even if I know:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...00a0/index.htm

That's why I am still looking for the nnbsp code even if I know this:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...202f/index.htm
Old 02-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Also, if you type in   the editor will replace it for you when you type the ";"
This is easier because I failed to see where to type a0 and how to insert it in a regex.

Using the same trick, I found that if I type (without the two -):
Code:
&-#-8239
when I add the final
Code:
;
the editor will replace it by a unicode hexadecimal character still unknown for me but identified correctly as a narrow no-break-space. I'll try to insert this elusive animal in my preferred characters.

Last edited by roger64; 02-21-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #6
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
On a personal point of view, I must say that I like this better than to see the old nbsp pepped all over my texts..
I don't understand why the new way should be better.

The old fashoned named entities work everywhere. But codenumbers need the using of the right codepage. A problem, when the device hasn't the used one. There is no automatic conversion. The named entity uses everytime the actual codepage.

I know, unicode shall solve all problems. The reality is, it does not. There is enought software, which can not use unicode, or only a litle part of ist.

P.S.
Ah, i know why you prefere numbers. They are more crytical then shortnames. It's a better sport to remeber numbers than names.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
I don't understand why the new way should be better.
This is only my point of view. But I'll try to comment it graphically and not cryptically.

Reading French language texts, you may find thousands of nbsp in one novel. If we use also nnbsp, the previous figure would then be roughly equally split between these two entities.

Now I let you compare what you see when you peruse a French text in code view with the calibre editor (first screenshot) and with Sigil 0.7.3.(second screenshot) If you use the latest Sigil 0.7.4, you'll just replace the   by the &-#-160;

I am sorry but I like better the calibre display even if I have to learn some new tricks. YMMV of course.

This was for display comparison. For the technical bits (why is this better or not), I just trust Kovid Goyal for implementing a no-nonsense solution...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre editor nbsp.png
Views:	357
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	119342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil 073 nbsp.png
Views:	403
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	119343  

Last edited by roger64; 02-21-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
@faltradl
There are difficulties with the underlying QT software with named and numeric entities. That is why Sigil bounced back and forth trying to deal with non-breaking spaces. One can either use QT, or spend one's time writing a cross-platform editor completely from scratch and deal with a whole new set of self created bugs.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unicode characters work in every single place that entities work. Both unicode characters and entities require a declaration in the header. The DOCTYPE in the case of named entities and the character encoding in the case of unicode characters.

The DOCTYPE is an absolute requirement in order to use named entities in XHTML, while the character encoding is not, since the default encoding for XHTML is UTF-8 when undeclared, which is the encoding the calibre editor uses.

Therefore, named entities are actually *less* likely to work than unicode characters.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And any ereading devices/apps that might have trouble displaying certain unicode characters do so because of glyphs missing from their supplied system fonts. They'd have the exact same trouble regardless if named or numbered entities were used.

There's really no valid reason NOT to use unicode characters as opposed to entities in ePubs/AZW3 (other than personal preference of course).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

The manual says that to code the nbsp, I should use a0 and then type Alt+X
a0 is for me typically difficult to find even if I know:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...00a0/index.htm

That's why I am still looking for the nnbsp code even if I know this:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...202f/index.htm
Found.

One can type in the calibre's editor search box:
\u00a0 to look for the no-break space (nbsp)
\u202F to look for for the narrow no-break space (nnbsp)

You also can find the latter in
Insérer un caractère spécial/Ponctuation/Ponctuation générale
and bring it up to your "Preferred" using a right click.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can also use the Character Map in the editor to type in any character, specifically, this will put the character in the search bar (assuming your input is focused in the search bar, obviously.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote