Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Micah Dawson
Micah Dawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook(Windows 8 App) and Kindle(Windows 8 App)
Is the nook glowlight a good buy?

Hey Mobileread,

A questions for you all...
I am going to be buying my first ereader. After the snow storm last week, I discovered that while reading my nook and Kindle books through their respective windows 8 app is good on my Surface tablet...the battery life is not the best and after 4 hours of reading, I had a dead tablet and no power to charge.

And Of course this happened right at the good part of the book..So I am going to jump into the ereader world...

With that said...

How good is the Nook Glowlight from B&N? Is it a ereader you recommend that I buy? Are there any known issues and complaints?
(I have books with Amazon and Nook so i flirt with both regularly but this will definitely be a marriage to one or the other)

The one thing that bugs me about the Ereaders is that refresh thing. How often does it refresh when you are turning pages?
Micah Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
The latest Nook Glowlight and the latest Kindle Paperwhite both have a lower refresh rate that typical ereaders do. They're both basically identical, although I think the Nook might have less onboard space.

The most important question is how many books you want to have with you at a time. Neither the Nook nor the Kindle have an SD card slot, so you're limited to the onboard storage. Also, I think the Nook limits your storage even further to B&N space and non-B&N space. That works for people who don't need to have all their books with them. Some people prefer to have their entire library, and those people usually end up getting a reader with an SD card slot.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Aqua-Andy
Aqua-Andy began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
The Glow Light has issues with locking up. B&N Will tell you they have never heard of this before and to just deregester and reregester the device. Hopefully they will have a software fix for this soon. The memory thing can be an issue for some people but you still have 500mb for side loaded media. You can still fit several hundred books on the device if all you do is side load. Overall I do like the device. Not sure what you mean by "refresh when turning pages". Do you mean how many times do you have to turn the page until the actual page number changes? If so it all depends on the size of type you choose, my 15yo sons turns two pages with every page turn, mine on the other hand takes around three to four. Yes I need glasses but will not accept the fact that I'm getting older.
Aqua-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon has a reputation for rock-solid firmware, and B&N Nook has a reputation for being slow.

B&N limits you to 500MB of sideloaded books (including books you download from B&N and transfer via USB) plus 2GB of books downloaded through the device itself, whereas Kindle doesn't care where you get your books from. You can convert your old B&N purchases with calibre and store them on your Kindle, but not the other way around since the memory is restricted.

B&N is a dead platform. They've always played second (or third) fiddle to Amazon, in terms of popularity and workmanship in their devices. Consider the fact that they just fired a whole lot of engineers (since they apparently don't need them anymore), see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233564

I would suggest get anything other than the Nook. If you want EPUB/library ADE support, and the ability to tweak your reading experience, go with the Kobo. If you like Amazon or just want a simple clean reading experience, go with the Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Dawson View Post
A questions for you all...
I am going to be buying my first ereader. After the snow storm last week, I discovered that while reading my nook and Kindle books through their respective windows 8 app is good on my Surface tablet...the battery life is not the best and after 4 hours of reading, I had a dead tablet and no power to charge.
How good is the Nook Glowlight from B&N? Is it a ereader you recommend that I buy? Are there any known issues and complaints?
(I have books with Amazon and Nook so i flirt with both regularly but this will definitely be a marriage to one or the other)
If you can do without the glow light, the Nook Simple Touch ("2nd Ed") which comes with a SD card slot can be had for ~ $50 new from Ebay. For the very same reason of long reading battery life, the NST is still my go-to tablet for pure reading in/outside the home.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I currently have a Paperwhite 1, a Kobo Aura and have had a Nook Glow (the first one). If I could only have one ereader it would be a Paperwhite.

I adore my Kobo Aura but if I had to choose I would pick Amazon, they have the best support and infrastructure. I'd not buy a Nook Glow for all the reasons mentioned above, but mainly because Amazon are superior in every way, device, infrastructure and support.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
I second the suggestion of the old Nook models Simple Touch / Simple Touch Glowlight. Being able to turn pages while holding the eReader with either hand is a big plus. Plus the SD card slot to expand memory is really brilliant.

Having said that if you switch to and from languages that don't use the roman alphabet, e.g. I switch between Chinese and English all the time, the Kindle offers the best experience over Nook and Kobo.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Kobo Glo is fine. The only real issue AFAIK is that the front-light can't be turned down super-low so might be too bright for you in a dark room. I believe the new Aura no longer has this problem.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
so far I've only used k4&pw1... Excelent devices, both of them... I only own the 4 so I have not used the PW a whole lot...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
PW is Gma's...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa View Post
I second the suggestion of the old Nook models Simple Touch / Simple Touch Glowlight.
You can still do that with the new glowlight, but you have to swipe instead of tap. A swipe will work on both sides of the screen, whether it is forwards or backwards.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Kobo Glo is fine. The only real issue AFAIK is that the front-light can't be turned down super-low so might be too bright for you in a dark room. I believe the new Aura no longer has this problem.
I can confirm that the Aura 6" doesn't have this problem. In addition, the lighting is more even, and it's beautifully small and light.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I don't much care about the relatively minor differences in hardware between the various brands of e-readers. All of them work fine for reading ebooks. I prefer the Kindle PW, at least for US customers, because of superior customer service and support and better selection and prices of ebooks.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
If you can do without the glow light, the Nook Simple Touch ("2nd Ed") which comes with a SD card slot can be had for ~ $50 new from Ebay. For the very same reason of long reading battery life, the NST is still my go-to tablet for pure reading in/outside the home.
Also, some B&N locations still carry house stock of the SimpleTouch without the glow light. I paid $59 for mine, recently, and the location has one other available.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Amazon has a reputation for rock-solid firmware, and B&N Nook has a reputation for being slow.
I tend to agree with most of what you wrote -- not quoted -- but the Nook slower than the Kindle? I've never noticed that and I now use both regularly.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote