Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #421
LawyerLady1
LawyerLady1 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Craig Tablet CMP738b
Can you please help me with the Wifi? I just received the craig tablet for my birthday and I can't seem to get connected to wifi; access the calendar to input my schedule, and can't seem to do anything at all with this tablet. I'm sooo frustrated... Please help if you can...Thanks so much
LawyerLady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #422
mechanics200
mechanics200 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig CMP738a
I am assuming that you have a wireless router at your location. Among the pre installed applications you will find SETTINGS. Select that and go to the wireless entry and follow the instructions to connect to your network.
mechanics200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #423
myrtle
myrtle began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a windows xp computer. I am looking for something with a 7" screen I can use to watch movies on. I have never had WiFi or a cell phone. A back up device I can access the internet on would be nice but I am not concerned about at this time. I don't plan to use WiFi. I like my Ethernet connection.

Most of the time one computer is enough until somebody downloads a movie nobody else wants to watch. A portable device to watch the movie on would be nice but I have not been able to find an mp3 video player device that seems to do what I want it to do and has good reviews.

I live in an apartment so I have neighbors living on the other side of my wall. Do I have to worry about this thing accidentally trying to access my neighbors WiFi? Can you turn the WiFi off? Can I access the internet through the usb connection? Do you have to connect the device to the internet to upgrade it? Can I download updates to my computer and then transfer to the device? Can I connect to my computer using the usb connection and drop and drag the movie into the device?

Last edited by myrtle; 12-25-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: I forgot to add that I am looking for something as cheap as possible under $100.
myrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #424
mandlebomb
mandlebomb began at the beginning.

Device: craig
I hear people talking about rooting the android. What are the benefits? I also bought a Craig and I am having problems getting the android market. Is it because I didn't root the device?
mandlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #425
mandlebomb
mandlebomb began at the beginning.

Device: craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

7" touchscreen (no multitiouch)
700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Mini USB and USB host capability
~ 6 or 7 hours battery life (depending on how I use it so far)
Speaker & Microphone
Micro-SD card slot (32GB max)
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer.

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet.
Hello, the android market. How did you get it on the craig? was it the amazon app store?
mandlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #426
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Android market is not available except on Google approved models. Most of the cheaper Tablets do not qualify as they don't have the features that Google requires. However, that are lots of other market apps available that you can use. Sometimes a third party will create their own Android OS implementation that can be loaded on a device and this may or may not include a version of Android Market. Note that the port will have to be specific for this device, and I am not aware of any at this time.

See our wiki under Android for a list of available market apps.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #427
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlebomb View Post
Hello, the android market. How did you get it on the craig? was it the amazon app store?
You have to root the device to put the Android Market on it. It's not something that installs easily, but it can be done. Read through the rest of the thread.

I have Kindle Fire now, and it's more capable than this in some ways (e.g., it has multitouch and more onboard memory), but I still consider this a fairly capable device because of the features it has that the Kindle Fire lacks (e.g., HDMI-out, USB host mode).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #428
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
You have to root the device to put the Android Market on it. It's not something that installs easily, but it can be done. Read through the rest of the thread.

I have Kindle Fire now, and it's more capable than this in some ways (e.g., it has multitouch and more onboard memory), but I still consider this a fairly capable device because of the features it has that the Kindle Fire lacks (e.g., HDMI-out, USB host mode).
Congrats on the Kindle Fire! How do you like it? I've been toying with the idea of getting one.
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #429
SwiftHwk
SwiftHwk began at the beginning.

Device: Craig 7" Tablet
Can't upadate the Craig.

Ok, so I've read through the thread, and I haven't been able to find anyone else having a similar problem. I have downloaded and tried using each version but I keep running into the same problem. It says "Cannot be upgraded when bootloader's major version is different! Please use PC Tools for upgrade!" I have attached a picture of the screen for reference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS-The one I bought already has Android 2.2.1

Thanks!
Brady
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0240.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	80718  

Last edited by SwiftHwk; 01-02-2012 at 11:44 PM.
SwiftHwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #430
PInky1352
PInky1352 began at the beginning.

USB issue

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get my PC to even SEE my Craig Tablet? I wanted to update it's original firmware (I was having issues using the Amazon Kindle reader app, it just wouldn't work in the original version). I was attempting to follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere in this thread, and ran into a problem after my PC (running windows 7) initially DID see the tablet. I got the "driver was not installed correctly error message". Went back and tried to correct that error, and now PC doesn't see the tablet at all (Also tried on another identical laptop and have same issue).

Is it possible to blow the USB out connection on these things somehow?

barring being able to do the update THAT way, can I just do the update the same way Craig's site tells you to do THEIR newer update, by simply copying the .img file onto the SD card?
Their Instructions to do so are here:
http://www.craigelectronics.com/site...ils.php?id=243

For me, it just seems much simpler to do it that way.

BTW..at least with THEIR 2.2 version I can actually use the Kindle reader software

Thanks for any assistance!
PInky1352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #431
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PInky1352 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get my PC to even SEE my Craig Tablet? I wanted to update it's original firmware (I was having issues using the Amazon Kindle reader app, it just wouldn't work in the original version). I was attempting to follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere in this thread, and ran into a problem after my PC (running windows 7) initially DID see the tablet. I got the "driver was not installed correctly error message". Went back and tried to correct that error, and now PC doesn't see the tablet at all (Also tried on another identical laptop and have same issue).

Is it possible to blow the USB out connection on these things somehow?

barring being able to do the update THAT way, can I just do the update the same way Craig's site tells you to do THEIR newer update, by simply copying the .img file onto the SD card?
Their Instructions to do so are here:
http://www.craigelectronics.com/site...ils.php?id=243

For me, it just seems much simpler to do it that way.

BTW..at least with THEIR 2.2 version I can actually use the Kindle reader software

Thanks for any assistance!
It sounds as though your USB driver went bad. If you go into Device Manager and see the device with a yellow circle with an exclamation mark, right click on it, remove it, and reboot. That should make the system look for it again and install the driver if it can.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #432
PInky1352
PInky1352 began at the beginning.

bhartman36,
Just this moment figured out what the problem was. The tablet had the box checked in the USB Host Mode menu. As soon as I unchecked that the laptop recognized it and installed the driver immediately.

Thanks for the help!
PInky1352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #433
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
bhartman36,
Just this moment figured out what the problem was. The tablet had the box checked in the USB Host Mode menu. As soon as I unchecked that the laptop recognized it and installed the driver immediately.

Thanks for the help!
Glad you got it working!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #434
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
Congrats on the Kindle Fire! How do you like it? I've been toying with the idea of getting one.
I love the Kindle Fire.

Truth be told, I was one of the people (and maybe even the only person, for a while) on the forum that thought an Amazon tablet was a bad idea. I didn't see what they could deliver that other tablets couldn't, and it's a very challenging field out there.

Well, as we know now, they delivered on price, and on content. There are a lot of situations where I like reading on my Kindle Fire just as much as on my Kindle 3, and the video streaming with Prime can't really be beat.

I think you really need to root it for the Kindle Fire to reach its full potential (where you can put the Android Market on it, install an overclocker, etc.), but once you do that, it's golden. I'm really glad I got it.

You can see my full Amazon review here.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #435
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
Post Screwball error message?

Quote:
bhartman36,

Thanks for the help!
Seems to me that this was a rather-extreme example of an horribly-misleading error message. Imho, it takes a quite-good developer to create software that is very unlikely to create such messages. As I see it, after some years in this business, you develop some skepticism about error messages, and sometimes can suspect that they might be bogus. Anybody who's done a significant amount of programming might agree.

=+=+=

bhartman36 has been wonderfully helpful here; it would be wrong not to note that!

=+=+=

Local Rite Aid apparently got in a new stock of Android netbooks. i do hope people are having better luck with those!

My best to all,
[nb]
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote