Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Sleep mode vs. turning off

Somebody posted an interesting question on the Kindle forum, asking whether people turn the Kindle off when not using it, or just put it to sleep.

I have never bothered to turn it off, as I assume that nothing is actually happening during sleep mode, so why bother. I can't believe battery life is much affected either way.

However, now I am wondering if there is any significant advantage to turning it off instead of letting it go to sleep when not using it for a while.

Anybody know for sure?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Since I don't have a Kindle, well, does it turn off?
The Sony 500's screen turns off after an hour with no input. What about the Cybook and the iLiad?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Somebody posted an interesting question on the Kindle forum, asking whether people turn the Kindle off when not using it, or just put it to sleep.

I have never bothered to turn it off, as I assume that nothing is actually happening during sleep mode, so why bother. I can't believe battery life is much affected either way.

However, now I am wondering if there is any significant advantage to turning it off instead of letting it go to sleep when not using it for a while.

Anybody know for sure?
I used to always turn mine off, but I've found that while the Kindle is idle it is indexing any new items or items that have been transferred, ie. if I move a book from Kindle memory to SD card it has to be reindexed. Indexing uses a lot of battery power so it's best to let it index while pugged in.

Other than that...no not much difference. I now tend to let it go in sleep mode overnight being sure to keep it plugged in just in case something is going to be indexed.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
One other thing to note, if you leave it on it will continue to poll the buttons to look for input, so if you accidently leave it under something that is pressing buttons on the face it will kill your battery.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I sent an email to amazon about this very subject, and here is their reply. There seems to be no difference, as I suspected, so you can do whichever you want with no worries.

"Because the screen is is inactive there is no significant difference
between having your Kindle turned off or in sleep mode as long as the
wireless is turned off.

However, we may release kindle firmware updates which are downloaded
and installed while the kindle is in sleep mode with the wireless on."
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert