Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
New Kindle Commercials

Does anyone else feel that the new Kindle Commericals are insulting?

They make it seem like people that still read pBooks are less intelligent than those that don't.

I don't know, I just get a bad taste from watching those.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Got a link? There have been a few as far as I know.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the commerical that I'm thinking of

Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
They make it seem like people that still read pBooks are less intelligent than those that don't.
Is that why they picked a blond to play the part?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
This is the commerical that I'm thinking of
If you take offense to that, I suggest never venturing into the real world...

However, I do think it's a poor commercial. It's showing the same snob factor that the Apple commercials did, the only people that it will convince are the already converted. I don't see how parroting Apple visuals and not showing the device in any meaningful way, or speaking of the format, or prices, will help bring in undecideds.

Or maybe I just expect too much from advertisers, namely real information.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
It's hard to squeeze very much into 30 seconds.
Advertising is recognition. It's not so much what you say, but how often you say it.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
It is obviously a parody on the "I'm a Mac" "I'm a PC" commercials.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
It is obviously a parody on the "I'm a Mac" "I'm a PC" commercials.
Yep. Seems rather tongue-in-cheek to me.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
If you take offense to that, I suggest never venturing into the real world...
How about keeping the personal shots to yourself....unwarranted.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The T-mobile ads with the girl in the pink dress were a parody on the Apple "I'm a Mac" ads. So is this Amazon ad a parody on the T-mobile ads, or on the Apple ads? Either way, it's a tired trope.

I am struck by how many different Kindles ads Amazon has presented in a pretty short amount of time. The ad above is not even the only new one right now. I'm not sure if it's typical to make a lot of ads with all different themes, instead of sticking with one ad or a series of similar ads?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the other new Kindle ad I'm thinking of:

http://facebookvideoindirizle.gen.tr...ves-On-Hd.html

(sorry for the weird link but you can view the video on there.)

I like this one a lot better.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

It works for Geico lol.

I will say that Im impressed by the Nook commercial, as while they are promoting their unit, they still seem to he promoting reading in general. Of course they still want people to come to the stores and buy the paper books as well, but it was pretty good. Going with their Read Forever slogan.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This is the other new Kindle ad I'm thinking of:

http://facebookvideoindirizle.gen.tr...ves-On-Hd.html

(sorry for the weird link but you can view the video on there.)

I like this one a lot better.
I like that one too! That gives you the facts, compares it against other tablets and shows people having fun reading and doing work etc, not putting down other peoples choices in the way the read.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard

I like the Nook commercials too. They make me want to find a cozy place and read. I do like the message "reading is good, no matter how you do it."

eP
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I like the Nook commercials too. They make me want to find a cozy place and read. I do like the message "reading is good, no matter how you do it."

eP
Right, but that doesn't help Amazon sell a product. And given the tongue-in-cheek manner of this commercial, I'd guess it's supposed to appeal to, well, people like me. Probably youngish suburbanites.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote