Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
quintanion
quintanion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Switching to Kobo?

I've owned a Sony PRS-600 for the last 1.5 years and love the convenience of owning an e-reader. Unfortunately, the glare on the touch screen definitely detracts from the experience. The Border's store closest to me is going out of business and is selling Kobo readers for $70...which definitely has me tempted to switch over. I wanted to see how other users out their like their Kobo readers and if you think switching to a new one would be a good idea. I'm particularly interested in finding how satisfied people are with the screen quality (since that's my biggest gripe with the Sony), ease of use and ability to read epubs and pdfs from various sources. Would I be able to read books purchased at the Sony store?
quintanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
The $70 one is probably the 1st generation Kobo. I'd pay a bit more and get the Kobo 2 - teh Wifi version. I own both versions, and the new model has a much faster processor, making navigating the device much zippier. It really drags on the Kobo 1.

As for the reading experience, the screen is fantastic. Clear and crisp. Sony made a big error with the 600. The screen is inferior to all the competitors out there. (That said, the new 350/650 models have great screens.)

The thing most lacking in the Kobo is a 'Go to page number' function. But we're all hoping we will get this in the next firmware update.

The Sony and the Kobo can all read epubs, so any epub bookstore and public library is a source for reading material. As for pdf books, I would avoid them on the Kobo. I think the Sony can handle them better. But they are still frustrating. Stick to epub, in my view.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I agree that picking up a Kobo WiFi is a better choice ... assuming a price point around $100 or less. I believe all the original Koo's have a "blue" navigation button; the wifi edition has a "grey" button. (The wifi is also slightly heavier.)

I happened to read an entire novel in pdf format recently using the original Kobo and it was awkward but once I got into the rhythm of it, I didn't have any problem. I would always opt for ePub with Kobo if I had a choice.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
I held both the Sony and the Kobo in my hands before purchasing my Kobo, and the glare on that Sony screen was a big factor in my decision. The Kobo screen is very nice, matte and clear and easy to read.

I have the original blue-button Kobo, and I don't find that it's that slow. I wish I could have gotten it for $70! As others have said, one of the main issues with the Kobo is reading PDFs. I absolutely hate it, because it requires turning the book to landscape mode and then clicking down through the page. I avoid PDFs because of this. But EPUBs work great, and as far as I know, that's what the books from the Sony store are, so you should be fine.

Oh, and you can also read library books on the Kobo. I've been doing that lately to save money. It's so nice to be able to go to the library without actually having to physically go there... and you don't even have to worry about overdue fines because the books "return" themselves automatically! Had I known how much use I was going to get out of the library with my Kobo, I might have bought it sooner.

Last edited by La Coccinelle; 03-12-2011 at 04:38 PM.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I agree that picking up a Kobo WiFi is a better choice ... assuming a price point around $100 or less. I believe all the original Koo's have a "blue" navigation button; the wifi edition has a "grey" button. (The wifi is also slightly heavier.)
Out of curiosity I weighed both my wifi and original. The wifi was 15 grams LIGHTER than the original. Not sure how much variation you could get with the materials etc. in the manufacturing process that might affect this between different Kobo's.

I will add my vote to getting the Wifi if you can. The original isn't a bad reader, but once you've had both, the original seems really slow, and the wifi screen is sharper and better contrast.

Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
I just picked up one of these today at my (closing) Borders store.
It was priced down to $69, and it IS the wifi version. (It is black with a black button.) It was originally $99, then last weekend I stopped by and it was $79, and today was $69 (and only had a handful left) so I picked it up.

Already have loaded 2 library books on it - a PDF and an EPUB.

I really like it. I have a Kindle (love) but wanted something for library books. At this price, I took a chance. I was considering the Nook (at $149!) but trying it out in the store convinced me I really wanted something simple, just for library books. Seemed like it took so many steps to do anything on the Nook, and I did not like the little touch screen at the bottom. Give me buttons any day! (Oh, tried the Sony too, REALLY did not like that touch screen!)

Reading on it is very similar to the Kindle, very clear and sharp.
PDFs are small and you can't change the display. You can change EPUBs.

So, so far so good. I like how it works, and what it does. Perfect little reader for my needs!

Last edited by ReneAZ; 03-13-2011 at 07:06 PM.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm guessing that this is the Kobo 2? because the new price for the KO2 is $100. I would say go for it. I have the KO1 and I love it and the new one is even better with the faster page turns and the higher levels grey scale screen (from 8 to 16 levels) which will make the screen whiter and the print darker, also the new one will get the most firmware updates I expect.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
The new Sony models (x50) have much better screens than previous models. That said, a Kobo for $70? Ooooh, yes, do get it, especially if it's the Kobo WiFi! I believe the Kobo's screen should be better than the 600's, and with ample lighting, holds its own even against the eink devices with the newer much-acclaimed Pearl screens.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I'm guessing that this is the Kobo 2? because the new price for the KO2 is $100. I would say go for it. I have the KO1 and I love it and the new one is even better with the faster page turns and the higher levels grey scale screen (from 8 to 16 levels) which will make the screen whiter and the print darker, also the new one will get the most firmware updates I expect.
$100! We are really getting ripped off here in New Zealand. They are still $249NZD (around $190 USD).
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Still around AU$180 here as well.

Well past the 100 books read on the Kobo now
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
It was priced down to $69, and it IS the wifi version.
Great!

Quote:
Reading on it is very similar to the Kindle, very clear and sharp.
People find it a bit different, due to pearl kindle screen. When I
got my K1, I had a period of adjusting my eyes to paper -> e-ink
transition. All fine now.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I believe all the original Koo's have a "blue" navigation button; the wifi edition has a "grey" button.
The original was available in black case with a grey button too, I've got one.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well in Canada it's still $139 but Borders new Kobo price is $100
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote