Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Can an e-Reader display presentations?

Hello there,
I wonder if there are any ereader capable in displaying presentations files like PowerPoint, adobe and others. Probably not, but still curious.
Thanks

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-21-2010 at 03:08 PM.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I don't think there is any dedicated ereader that can open Powerpoint. Most can open PDFs (but not very well). You should look into a tablet.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
I don't think there is any dedicated ereader that can open Powerpoint. Most can open PDFs (but not very well). You should look into a tablet.
Tablets, iPads etc is good stuff for short-term browsing, but not for reading. I have lots of training presentations at work but after looking at LCD screens 8 consecutive hours per day my eyes get very sour. Reading from e-Ink does not bother me, but reading from LCDs just kills me and makes learning curve absolutely impossible
Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Astak EZReader supports: ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), PDF, TXT, PDB, DOC, HTML, FB2, LIT, MP3, EPUB, PRC, WOL, CHM, PPT, TIF, PNG,GIF, RAR, ZIP, DJVU, JPG, BMP.

I believe the PDB is PalmDOC, not eReader. And some PPT features probably won't work, but it should be fine for just reading presentations rather than watching animated ones.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Astak will display powerpoint files as static pages. (So does the BeBook one and the other rebadged Hanlins.)
Don't expect perfection.
Beyond that you might want to look at a Tablet PC lick the Viliv or the Archos. Take a stroll through Dynamism.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Any tablets or other devices that can display JPGs or other images will work if you save the presentation slides as a series of images. I run presentations off my video-MP3 player all the time so I don't have to carry around a laptop to hook up to the projector.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Any tablets or other devices that can display JPGs or other images will work if you save the presentation slides as a series of images. I run presentations off my video-MP3 player all the time so I don't have to carry around a laptop to hook up to the projector.
The reason I asked this question is that I need to read and reread those slides. That's why any LCD device is out of the game. I need an e-ink. I don't need any anymation, I only need the content. I wouldn't like to mess with with conversions cause there is too much of info to convert.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Tablets, iPads etc is good stuff for short-term browsing, but not for reading. I have lots of training presentations at work but after looking at LCD screens 8 consecutive hours per day my eyes get very sour. Reading from e-Ink does not bother me, but reading from LCDs just kills me and makes learning curve absolutely impossible
The iPad is an excellent reader; there are many very happy "readers" using it here at MR. The reason most people get eye-strain on an LCD screens is not that it's LCD, but because it's in a fixed location. Hang a paper book on the wall and stare at it for 8 hours, and that would give you eye-strain too .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I think your best bet would be to either use any of the eInk devices mentioned in a post above that can display ppt files or output the ppts as jpgs or pdfs so they can be used on an eInk device.

I'm happy with my Sony readers but prefer my ipad for non-novel-stuff.
But I have to admit, too, that after a day at work (mainly screen work) and being tired in the evening, reading on the ipad where I really have to concentrate on the text isn't my thing either. So during the week my ipad is more like an on-the-sofa-surfing-machine and a magazine reader for the weekend.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
just for u
just for u began at the beginning.

Device: not yet
I've been also looking for an ereader which I can see MS office files.

I found one reader which is called Story (by iriver).
It's said that it supports all MS office files.
Though they say like that, I am not sure how they look like.
However, one thing I am quite sure is that ppt file will be okay. I searched on the internet, and found it's quite good to read comic books with it. PPT file is also a kind of graphic, it will be good to use it.
just for u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
I wonder if there are any ereader capable in displaying presentations files like PowerPoint, adobe and others. Probably not, but still curious.
My thesis presentation was a PDF, I haven't tried it in my Gen3, but I'm pretty sure it would work... except for the links to avi movies, of course.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
My thesis presentation was a PDF, I haven't tried it in my Gen3, but I'm pretty sure it would work... except for the links to avi movies, of course.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:34 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by just for u View Post
I've been also looking for an ereader which I can see MS office files.

I found one reader which is called Story (by iriver).
It's said that it supports all MS office files.
Though they say like that, I am not sure how they look like.
However, one thing I am quite sure is that ppt file will be okay. I searched on the internet, and found it's quite good to read comic books with it. PPT file is also a kind of graphic, it will be good to use it.

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote