Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
eink case for android

Why there are not eink cases working for Android?
There was a project eink+ but it looks to me did not go trough.
I am thinking to buy a note 7, but still I am hesitant because of the eyestrains.

what is the logic why big hardware companies or 3d party do not do a decent eink case that take control of the screen?

it looks really strange to me, really cannot understand the reasons.
I would buy immediately, and I guess few people in the forum would do the same
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lack of interest, I'd guess. The market for eInk tablets is very small compared to that for LED devices. Most people who want an eInk tablet want a dedicated device, not an "add on" for an LED tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HarryT your point makes sense to me.
the point is are people aware that you cannot read a book for hours without eyestrains on lcd? i think not, they are not enough informed
And also they are not enough informed that they could use a eink cover to dramatically improve the battery life, that remains a challenge for lcd screens

Last point eink is not cool, maybe cover will come automatically when eink color will be used.

Yesterday in the train i tried to read the divine comedy on the iphone, oh my god, after half an hour between glare from the sun, and headache i switched to the eread.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
the point is are people aware that you cannot read a book for hours without eyestrains on lcd?
Some people can, and some can't. Although I prefer to read fiction on my eink Kindle because of its small size and light weight, I don't personally have any problems using LED screens myself. I use an LED screen on my laptop all day, and can read for hours on my iPad without difficulty. It very much varies with the individual.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
the point is are people aware that you cannot read a book for hours without eyestrains on lcd? i think not, they are not enough informed.
You may have this problem but I certainly don't, nor do lots of others on this board and out in the general public.

If you can read all day on your LCD monitor at work, you most certainly can do so with a tablet/phone.

I doubt anyone can see well with the sun glaring on a phone/tablet, so it stands to reason that would cause eyestrain. Nor are we meant to read in total darkness, we are not nocturnal creatures with eyes designed to do so. Would you go traipsing through the woods at night...I don't think so unless you want to walk into a tree. So why read in the dark.

This isn't a matter of being uninformed, it is a matter of applying common sense.

We all know, there was a time when the early lcd screens used to flicker, wobble etc. and could cause eyestrain. But that was years ago, and things have improved dramatically. But some just don't want to let it go/or even try the improved technology. They just go around declaring eink good/lcd tablet bad.

If eink floats your boat, have at it, but it doesn't mean that lcd is bad for all because it isn't.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
the point is are people aware that you cannot read a book for hours without eyestrains on lcd? i think not, they are not enough informed
And also they are not enough informed that they could use a eink cover to dramatically improve the battery life, that remains a challenge for lcd screens
Actually the bigger problem is how many people are READING BOOKS on their LCD devices vs using them for other purposes. I suspect that only a tiny, tiny amount of use time of LCD devices overall (not for a specific individual, but the overall hours of use for ALL devices made) would involve reading. And again a huge majority of people aren't going to be willing to accept the compromises involved in using e-ink vs LCD (black and white, no real video playback, slower screen refresh) to gain battery life. I'd be one of those people. I'd never give up my eink e-reader, but I can't see current e-ink working for me as a tablet/laptop or monitor. Would I like it occasionally: yup, but not enough to have to have it all the time.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Actually the bigger problem is how many people are READING BOOKS on their LCD devices vs using them for other purposes. I suspect that only a tiny, tiny amount of use time of LCD devices overall (not for a specific individual, but the overall hours of use for ALL devices made) would involve reading. And again a huge majority of people aren't going to be willing to accept the compromises involved in using e-ink vs LCD (black and white, no real video playback, slower screen refresh) to gain battery life. I'd be one of those people. I'd never give up my eink e-reader, but I can't see current e-ink working for me as a tablet/laptop or monitor. Would I like it occasionally: yup, but not enough to have to have it all the time.
This in a nutshell. I want my ereader to be an ereader and my tablet to perform as a tablet.
I would hate this place to be gray and slower just for a bit more battery life. And shopping would really be horrendous.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #8
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
You may have this problem but I certainly don't, nor do lots of others on this board and out in the general public.

If you can read all day on your LCD monitor at work, you most certainly can do so with a tablet/phone.

I doubt anyone can see well with the sun glaring on a phone/tablet, so it stands to reason that would cause eyestrain. Nor are we meant to read in total darkness, we are not nocturnal creatures with eyes designed to do so. Would you go traipsing through the woods at night...I don't think so unless you want to walk into a tree. So why read in the dark.

This isn't a matter of being uninformed, it is a matter of applying common sense.

We all know, there was a time when the early lcd screens used to flicker, wobble etc. and could cause eyestrain. But that was years ago, and things have improved dramatically. But some just don't want to let it go/or even try the improved technology. They just go around declaring eink good/lcd tablet bad.

If eink floats your boat, have at it, but it doesn't mean that lcd is bad for all because it isn't.
Agreed. The decreasing prices for LCD flatscreens themselves are an indication of technology evolving. I think LCD screens are fine for reading. I simply concur that EInk is better in most ways for reading, including aesthetically. During the times when I'm stuck with an LCD screen, I read and I think it's fine. But when I go back to my Kobo Glo (which I never take out from the house), I immediately renege on my temporary love for tablets as a reading device.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 AM   #9
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
(..). I use an LED screen on my laptop all day, and can read for hours on my iPad without difficulty. It very much varies with the individual.
at office screens are usually matte, and so do the newest laptops( finally).
But lcd matte and inside the house, is different that reading outside under the sunlight. The glares are much more, and mobile are much smaller.

a tip if one read on lcd, is every 20 minutes to look outside the screen for half a minute and relax the eyes.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:46 AM   #10
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And again a huge majority of people aren't going to be willing to accept the compromises involved in using e-ink vs LCD (black and white, no real video playback, slower screen refresh) to gain battery life. I'd be one of those people. I'd never give up my eink e-reader, but I can't see current e-ink working for me as a tablet/laptop or monitor.
That is why an eink cover would be great on mobile.

@cfrizz: same consideration as my reply above. True new technology improved flickering, but still the fact one is under the screen all the day, should make compulsory for >1 h leisure readers to have not backlight during the rest of the day. Rest is good
Is like mouses, one can say I can manage it at the office, but the truth is that in the long run, the majority of the people experience stiffness at the back scapular area(as confirmed me by my friend that run since years corporate massages)

Last edited by trocchietto; 08-16-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Agreed. The decreasing prices for LCD flatscreens themselves are an indication of technology evolving. I think LCD screens are fine for reading. I simply concur that EInk is better in most ways for reading, including aesthetically. During the times when I'm stuck with an LCD screen, I read and I think it's fine. But when I go back to my Kobo Glo (which I never take out from the house), I immediately renege on my temporary love for tablets as a reading device.
The other morning reading on a tablet gave my eyes trouble after about 3 minutes.
The problem wasn't the lights. The problem was I had forgot to put on my glasses.
Found glasses. Problem solved.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
at office screens are usually matte, and so do the newest laptops( finally).
But lcd matte and inside the house, is different that reading outside under the sunlight. The glares are much more, and mobile are much smaller.

a tip if one read on lcd, is every 20 minutes to look outside the screen for half a minute and relax the eyes.
I agree that LCD screens are not good for reading outside in sunlight - in that particular circumstance, eInk is much better. I read on my iPad indoors, where it's absolutely fine.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Not this again! I wish I had a nickel for every time the e-ink vs LCD topic has come up in the years since I've been reading this forum. Somebody always says LCD causes eyestrain, and eventually someone else comes along and says you just need to adjust brightness/contrast etc.... Too bad there's not a sticky thread for this topic (along with stickies for some other regularly recurring topics such as "the evils of DRM", "the evils of copyright", "paper books vs ebooks", and "ebooks should be cheaper than paper books").

Why can't we all just agree that people's eyes are not all the same, some people are happy reading on an LCD tablet, and others prefer e-ink? OK rant over now......
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Not this again! I wish I had a nickel for every time the e-ink vs LCD topic has come up in the years since I've been reading this forum. Somebody always says LCD causes eyestrain, and eventually someone else comes along and says you just need to adjust brightness/contrast etc.... Too bad there's not a sticky thread for this topic (along with stickies for some other regularly recurring topics such as "the evils of DRM", "the evils of copyright", "paper books vs ebooks", and "ebooks should be cheaper than paper books").

Why can't we all just agree that people's eyes are not all the same, some people are happy reading on an LCD tablet, and others prefer e-ink? OK rant over now......
Hey for all those topics we would be rich at a penny each post.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 AM   #15
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The other morning reading on a tablet gave my eyes trouble after about 3 minutes.
The problem wasn't the lights. The problem was I had forgot to put on my glasses.
Found glasses. Problem solved.
Okay. Good for you.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote