Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
How to find a matte LCD phone?

My old matte LCD phone from 2014 is broken, and I need a new phone with such a display, but where do I find that? Everything is AMOLED or spunky shiny vibrant LCD now.

The only thing that comes close, that I've seen, is the Cat S61. It's sort of matte, but not really.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
My old matte LCD phone from 2014 is broken, and I need a new phone with such a display, but where do I find that? Everything is AMOLED or spunky shiny vibrant LCD now.

The only thing that comes close, that I've seen, is the Cat S61. It's sort of matte, but not really.
Sorry I will answer to the spirit not to the letter.

I am excellently served by "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters". You reach their stand and have the matte film applied, in my experience with amazing, encomiable results.

Of course displays must be matte. But there is some percent of buyers that use them, in full dark (hopefully), to experience vibrancy for their own pleasure as part of a rite, and the market is aware of that underground sect. Given that, it seems, you cannot make a matte display glossy, but you can make a glossy display matte with a film, this came the way - and while insane, considering the whole we are lucky to have a way to make things rational again.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

I am not really sure I got your humor. We're at a forum for devices that are easy on the eyes. I find old LCDs easy on the eyes, contrary to new AMOLEDs.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:

I don't know, off hand, of any phones but one can buy matte screen protectors for phones in glass and, I think, film. I have never used screen protectors nor had a desire for matte so I cannot vouch for them, but they may be something for you to consider if no suitable phone turns up.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
norweger
Addict

My eyes are more comfy with displays that are less shiny. But leaving shiny vs matte aside, my gripe with new displays is that they have this yellowish tint on all whites. New AMOLEDs are the worst in this respect. And besides, they've prioritized vivid colors instead of realistic. To some extent you can change the settings, turn down the saturation, but only to some extent.
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Toothpaste? Very slow.

Shiny is cheapest. Decent Matt finish is really expensive.

Actually a lot of LCD backlights have a purple cast and will get more violet with age. OLED works differently, it's not real LEDs, but diode like electroluminescent dots with phosphors so the colour shifts with age.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
norweger
Addict

My original post was half asking for advice, and half a sigh. I wish realistic ("matte") was most expensive, so the very best phones had realistic displays, but alas. Though expensive, OLED actually seems a better alternative than AMOLED, like in the newest Sony, though old LCDs are kinder to my eyes.

Last edited by norweger; 04-11-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OLED actually seems a better alternative than AMOLED, like in the newest Sony.
AMOLED = OLED.
Though Sony did have some monitors and demoed one TV with real LEDs, called Crystal LED, seeing as the Marketing people have "used up" LED on both LCD and OLED/AMOLED
Am = Amorphous
O = Organic
LE = light emitting
D = Anything with a diode like characteristic, current only flows properly one way.

Though there are variations in the phosphors, underlying device, deposition and colour layout.
Originally all (no extra space)
RGB RGB RGB
RGB RGB RGB
later to reduce need for x3 resolution subpixels:
GB GR
RG BG

Then they had various four colour schemes adding in Yellow pixels as they are x2 brighter on LCD (LCD uses a dye filter overlay) and somewhat brighter on OLED phosphors.
Real LEDs only use phosphors in lamps/lighting, "White" LEDs and backlights. Actual white LEDs do not exist. They are blue, violet or UV with yellow phosphor (if blue) or mixed phosphors otherwise. An R G B LED is three LEDs in one package using 3 chips. They are useless for room lighting but OK for backlights (though rarer because expensive), true R G & B LEDs will give wrong colours off reflected light as really orange, yellow, cyan etc will be dark, red, green or blue. The CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED, DLP etc displays are all a trick, it only looks like colour to us and some animals with similar retinas. No good for many birds and likely Aliens
Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
surely a matte screen protector is easily sourced- it may be described as an anti-reflective screen cover - same thing - basically just a bit of transparent plastic film.

you could probably buy a tablet sized one and cut it to size.
the plastic ones are cheap, and can be cut, but the hardened glass ones cannot
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
surely a matte screen protector is easily sourced- it may be described as an anti-reflective screen cover - same thing - basically just a bit of transparent plastic film.

you could probably buy a tablet sized one and cut it to size.
the plastic ones are cheap, and can be cut, but the hardened glass ones cannot
I'd have thought so, but being mean I rubbed the screen of my secondary laptop with toothpaste for ages. It's a very fine non-scratch abrasive. Don't use a gel (no abrasive) or "Pearl Drops" (too abrasive).
I've no idea of the effect on a touch screen, so try an unimportant corner
Old 04-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

don't do it - dont risk any chemical on a phone screen...

my wife, in a burst of anti-coronavirus idiocy, decided she needed to sanitize her smart phone; alcohol got into top front slot where the speaker is- audio is ruined...
( it had 2 days left on the amazon warranty so its gone off for repair, maybe they will lazily swap it out & not detect user damage.... )
had to buy a new phone.
only think that should go on a touch screen is a barely damp microfibre cloth

phone screens are usually hardened glass. laptop screens are probably some sort of plastic, to reduce cost & weight

quick check: amazon has matte screen protectors for iphones, both hardened glass, and cheap cuttable plastic options). anything that is bigger than needed & is not glass i.e. can be cut down to size should work

Last edited by stumped; 04-04-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Alcohol is a bad idea.
Absolutely don't let any liquid in any aperture.

Though phones and keyboards can harbour awful bugs, if it's only one user, then it's your own bugs you already have.

Cleaning a keyboard is really hard. We used to wrap ones in dusty factories in cling film. Note it's porous, so zero protection against viruses. It might stop bacteria or amoeba, water will pass leaving copper sulphate behind.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

All LCD panels are glass. They usually have a filter layer, a polariser layer (can be plastic or glass) and larger ones, laptops, monitors and TVs have a glass top layer (which may be the polariser unless they are rubbish.
LCDs also have a polariser under the panel.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

I remember having a couple of waterproof pc keyboards. You could actually disconnect them then wash them under a running tap. Just keep the usb connector dry. Took ages to dry out before you could reconnect though.
The ones I use now are the sort that are pseudo mechanical, with pretty lights, so they click as you type, and each keytop is removable. There is a switch under each key, not a membrane. More usefully there is space around each key so flipping and shaking gets rid of most bits that fall in. ( Like sunflower seed shells from my overactive lovebirds )
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #15
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
But there is some percent of buyers that use them, in full dark (hopefully), to experience vibrancy for their own pleasure as part of a rite, and the market is aware of that underground sect.
Knew it! Gotta be ... well ... Illuminati! Damn them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Actual white LEDs do not exist. They are blue, violet or UV with yellow phosphor (if blue) or mixed phosphors otherwise.
So that's the crux of the matter. Appreciated, Quoth!

I wish there were some modular phone or something where I could get great specs and an old LCD display, but alas!

Last edited by norweger; 04-05-2020 at 09:36 AM.