Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #1456
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
100 Fathoms Below by Steven L. Kent and Nicholas Kaufmann is $0.99 at Amazon US.

I bought this one a while ago, but haven't read it yet. But it's a spooky tale on a submarine during the Cold War.

Quote:
100 fathoms below …

The depth at which sunlight no longer penetrates the ocean.

1983. The US nuclear submarine USS Roanoke embarks on a classified spy mission into Soviet waters. Their goal: to find evidence of a new, faster, and deadlier Soviet submarine that could tip the balance of the Cold War. But the Roanoke crew isn’t alone. Something is on board with them. Something cunning and malevolent.

Trapped in enemy territory and hunted by Soviet submarines, tensions escalate and crew members turn on each other. When the lights go out and horror fills the corridors, it will take everything the crew has to survive the menace coming from outside and inside the submarine.

In the dark.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-24-2020 at 01:06 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #1457
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Child Thief by Brom is $1.99 at Amazon US.

I know Brom mainly as an illustrator. But last year I read his Krampus novel and really enjoyed it.

Quote:
The acclaimed artist Brom brilliantly displays his multiple extraordinary talents in The Child Thief—a spellbinding re-imagining of the beloved Peter Pan story that carries readers through the perilous mist separating our world from the realm of Faerie. As Gregory Maguire did with his New York Times bestselling Wicked novels, Brom takes a classic children’s tale and turns it inside-out, painting a Neverland that, like Maguire’s Oz, is darker, richer, more complex than innocent world J.M. Barrie originally conceived. An ingeniously executed literary feat, illustrated with Brom’s sumptuous artwork, The Child Thief is contemporary fantasy at its finest—casting Peter Pan, the Lost Boys, even Captain Hook and his crew in a breathtaking new light.
Advert
Old 10-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #1458
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis is FREE at Amazon US.

This is a PD title that can be found free all over. But Open Road does a good job and it's free. They're selling it as the first Gothic novel, but I believe that title actually belongs to The Castle of Otranto.

Quote:
In what is widely considered to be the first Gothic novel, a monk must resist a temptation that could consume his soul

Ambrosio has developed a reputation across Madrid for his piety and selflessness in his role as a monk. Left on the abbey’s doorstep as a child, Ambrosio took quickly to monastic life, and his fellow monks pronounced him a gift from the Virgin Mary. Despite his virtue, his status as the abbey’s favorite son is put in jeopardy with the arrival of Matilda, a woman with a terrible secret who disguises herself as a monk to be closer to Ambrosio.

A sensational Gothic horror novel that is as stunning to readers today as it was two hundred years ago, The Monk is a shocking rumination of the nature of good and evil, and a morality tale that explicitly details the consequences of desire.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #1459
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Rattus New Yorkus by Hunter Shea is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Deep in the sewers of New York City, the rat population is growing. Dr. Randolph Finch is determined to break the cycle. But his new rodenticide doesn’t kill rats. It only makes them stronger. More aggressive. More intelligent. And more ravenous than ever...
Old 10-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #1460
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Teeth by Edo van Belkom is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Nothing could have prepared Det. Joe Williams for what’s waiting in Apartment 413. A man—what’s left of him—lying in a pool of his own blood, his face frozen in a silent scream. And the only clue Williams has found is a tiny, gleaming metal tooth...
Advert
Old 10-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #1461
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city—a city that includes his wife and son—before it is too late.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #1462
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
On a related note...

Rats by James Herbert is down to 99p again this month in the UK.

And I've just noticed that Haunted is currently down to 99p as well. Lowest price ever according to eReaderIQ.

Quote:
James Herbert's Haunted is the first chilling novel in the David Ash trilogy.

Three nights of terror at the house called Edbrook.

Three nights in which David Ash, there to investigate a haunting, will be victim of horrifying and maleficent games.

Three nights in which he will face the blood-chilling enigma of his own past.

Three nights before Edbrook's dreadful secret will be revealed, and the true nightmare will begin . . .
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #1463
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
On a related note...

Rats by James Herbert is down to 99p again this month in the UK.

And I've just noticed that Haunted is currently down to 99p as well. Lowest price ever according to eReaderIQ.
I remember, after reading Stephen King's Danse Macabre, I looked up James Herbert (at that point lots of his work wasn't available in the States) and found Haunted. I didn't like it one bit.

In later years, I found Rats and really enjoyed it.

(I'm willing to say I might have judged Haunted too harshly and likely need to read it again.)
Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #1464
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare
Amazon US $2.99

Quote:
In Adam Cesare’s terrifying young adult debut, Quinn Maybrook finds herself caught in a battle between old and new, tradition and progress—that just may cost her life.
Quote:
Quinn Maybrook and her father have moved to tiny, boring Kettle Springs, to find a fresh start. But what they don’t know is that ever since the Baypen Corn Syrup Factory shut down, Kettle Springs has cracked in half.

On one side are the adults, who are desperate to make Kettle Springs great again, and on the other are the kids, who want to have fun, make prank videos, and get out of Kettle Springs as quick as they can.

Kettle Springs is caught in a battle between old and new, tradition and progress. It’s a fight that looks like it will destroy the town. Until Frendo, the Baypen mascot, a creepy clown in a pork-pie hat, goes homicidal and decides that the only way for Kettle Springs to grow back is to cull the rotten crop of kids who live there now.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #1465
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I remember, after reading Stephen King's Danse Macabre, I looked up James Herbert (at that point lots of his work wasn't available in the States) and found Haunted. I didn't like it one bit.

In later years, I found Rats and really enjoyed it.

(I'm willing to say I might have judged Haunted too harshly and likely need to read it again.)
No, I can understand that - it's an odd novel really.

Herbert was well known for the gore and sex in his horror novels, but Haunted was a real change - a proper ghost story and very reined in compared to his usual style. It wasn't as uniquely 'Herbert' as the rest and he was finding his way with a different style of story.

It's a better movie than book, to be honest - Aidan Quinn and a young Kate Beckinsale. Well worth checking out if you ever get the opportunity.

Last edited by Kieran Seymour; 10-26-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #1466
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
No, I can understand that - it's an odd novel really.

Herbert was well known for the gore and sex in his horror novels, but Haunted was a real change - a proper ghost story and very reined in compared to his usual style. It wasn't as uniquely 'Herbert' as the rest and he was finding his way with a different style of story.

It's a better movie than book, to be honest - Aidan Quinn and a young Kate Beckinsale. Well worth checking out if you ever get the opportunity.
That makes me feel a bit better. I tried looking for the movie, but it's not easily available here. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I did watch another film based on a Herbert book, The Secret of Crickley Hall. I thought it was okay, but in that instance, I got the feeling the book probably worked better than the miniseries.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #1467
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Coyote Songs by Gabino Iglesias
Amazon US $2.99

Quote:
In Gabino Iglesias’ second novel, ghosts and old gods guide the hands of those caught up in a violent struggle to save the soul of the American southwest.A man tasked with shuttling children over the border believes the Virgin Mary is guiding him towards final justice. A woman offers colonizer blood to the Mother of Chaos. A boy joins corpse destroyers to seek vengeance for the death of his father.These stories intertwine with those of a vengeful spirit and a hungry creature to paint a timely, compelling, pulpy portrait of revenge, family, and hope.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #1468
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Coyote Songs by Gabino Iglesias
Amazon US $2.99
Thanks for that. It's been on sale before and I thought I'd picked it up. But I guess not.

Edit: Aha! I wasn't signed in to Amazon. I did purchase the book before.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #1469
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Five by Robert McCammon is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Robert McCammon's first contemporary novel in nearly two decades, The Five tells the story of an eponymous rock band struggling to survive on the margins of the music business.

As they move through the American Southwest on what might be their final tour together, the band members come to the attention of a damaged Iraq war veteran, and their lives are changed forever. This is a riveting account of violence, terror, and pursuit set against a credible, immensely detailed rock and roll backdrop. It is also a moving meditation on loyalty and friendship.

Written with wit, elegance, and passionate conviction, The Five reaffirms McCammon's position as one of the finest, most unpredictable storytellers of our time.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #1470
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
100 Fathoms Below by Steven L. Kent and Nicholas Kaufmann is $0.99 at Amazon US.

I bought this one a while ago, but haven't read it yet. But it's a spooky tale on a submarine during the Cold War.
This sounds quite interesting. I have a thing for paranoid groups, and water settings. Grabbed.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote