Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #1426
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
January is the best time for thinking .... planning .....
Don't forget trimming trees! January is generally the best time for fruit trees. Both our apple and our pear have been trimmed last week. After 4 years, the apple tree is finally getting a shape again (the previous owner was a "grow and let grow" type, I doubt he ever trimmed anything...)

We need to cut down one more tree (or, rather cut the top out).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #1427
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Still rather too cold for me to be outside for anything like tree trimming - and we've a holly tree that is in dire need of a good talking to!

I cut back a small Ash tree last year, it's close to the house and I don't want to get rid of it, but to keep it under control. So it's not quite coppiced, but not quite pollarded, but there were many 3-6 foot lengths of stem that I then pushed into the ground, and I'm hopeful that some will have taken in situ - some look dead, but then many don't - and as the ash is a slow starter it is going to be an interesting surprise to see how many new trees I may have in a couple of months, or so.... :rubshandswithglee:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #1428
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
January is the best time for thinking .... planning .....
You're plan(t)ing thoughts in your garden......oooh! Wonderful!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #1429
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You're plan(t)ing thoughts in your garden......oooh! Wonderful!!!
most definitely.

last year, and the one before, were kinda wasted with time spent putting ponds in, and then getting an injury - so this year it's a weed-killing spree and let the flowers bloom - and damn the cats if they scratch up anything they should not .... and....and..... and....
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #1430
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Maybe a wine garden this year.

I'm thinking of growing dandelions.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #1431
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Maybe a wine garden this year.

I'm thinking of growing dandelions.

I'd vote for that!

Dang crows anyway!

And the silly Norton wouldn't even chase 'em off.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #1432
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
and damn the cats if they scratch up anything they should not .... and....and..... and....
Good luck with that!

Though, chicken wire helps. Plants won't notice it, but cats don't like it (as they can't dig in it)

I'm hoping we'll have some kind lawn this year we can walk on... Last year, part of it was dug up for the sewage pipe replacement, and last week we had a frisky horse trying to plow it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #1433
GeoffC

Have noticed the first snowdrops just coming into bloom - not quite open - but they won't be long.
Yellow Primula are already flowering.
Three dandelion flowers have already been removed from the plant....good suggestion Tom, perhaps I'll save a few for dandelion wine....
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #1434
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Have noticed the first snowdrops just coming into bloom - not quite open - but they won't be long.
Three dandelion flowers have already been removed from the plant....good suggestion Tom, perhaps I'll save a few for dandelion wine....
With this cold, the only live things in my garden are the birds at their feeding table: and a very foolish hopeful cat, freezing her b...t off while waiting behind the hedge; for the birds to drop down.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #1435
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Thanks. I seem to have a green thumb when it comes to growing dandelions.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #1436
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Something happened while I was away to my windowsill "lawn" (actually weeds that I sowed from seeds found in the street). When I left it was green and luxuriant, now it's all wilted and blackened. Frost, I suppose. But the funny thing is that in the planter right next to it, the rocket I sowed at the end of last summer has started sprouting, along with some other random stuff and -maybe, though probably not because it doesn't smell like it- tarragon.

I brought one of the planters inside today and sowed cherry tomato seeds. I didn't remove the old soil but only put some new one on top, I hope that will be enough to nourish them (this planter already had cherry tomatoes last year). I should probably put more fertilizer this year. Unless, of course, I forget again
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #1437
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
New planter and plants. I should have read the label more carefully in the shop, now I'm not so sure they are fitting for a balcony. The label says they are good in "mild climates" and grow to 2-4 meters. I'm going to need a bigger planter!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551-800.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	67463  
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #1438
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
New planter and plants. I should have read the label more carefully in the shop, now I'm not so sure they are fitting for a balcony. The label says they are good in "mild climates" and grow to 2-4 meters. I'm going to need a bigger planter!!!
Well you could put some boards around the balcony, fill it with planting soil and have a "real" garden.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #1439
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
- you'll not be needing shutters on those windows - will make a privacy screen - until some birds start nesting within .....
Old 02-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #1440
GeoffC

snowdrops continue to blossom, now joined by a small number of crocus here and there. daffodils showing their leaves with some flower buds also developing (I ken I'm a few weeks behind them lot south of the border!!!)