Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #1396
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
As it was, I was ignoring 'Open Road,' assuming from the title that it was a travelogue publisher.
That sounds odd. Do you also assume that Penguin publishes works of polar interest, that Random House specializes in architecture, or that Ace Books are about card games?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #1397
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I was daunted by the size of the Open Road list -- I looked at the first page of books, and saw nothing I liked. So I greatly appreciated the post here, about the Andre Norton books. I got those two, and now will go to the "whole list" and try to find others by her.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #1398
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I was daunted by the size of the Open Road list -- I looked at the first page of books, and saw nothing I liked. So I greatly appreciated the post here, about the Andre Norton books. I got those two, and now will go to the "whole list" and try to find others by her.
If you're looking for works by a particular author (once you've found one of their books in the Open Road list), it's best to search for their name and sort by price low to high. That's how I made sure I didn't miss any Harlan Ellison, Robert Silverberg or Robert Sheckley.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #1399
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I did that, today. Before, I didn't *know* there were any interesting authors in that list.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #1400
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That sounds odd. Do you also assume that Penguin publishes works of polar interest, that Random House specializes in architecture, or that Ace Books are about card games?
So curtw should recognize the names of all the publishers?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #1401
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
All three of those examples are large publishers that have been around for 50+ years, and I've seen hundreds of their books. In this age ruled by search results and Google keyword matching as king, if a *new* ebook publisher appeared here with the word "house" in their name, I would assume their books were related to real estate or home improvement until somebody informed me otherwise.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #1402
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So curtw should recognize the names of all the publishers?
No, an avid reader should know better than to judge a publisher's content from wild assumptions about their name. I mean, it's one thing if they include "Teen" or "Young Adult" or "Mystery" or some other clear genre identifier after their name - but otherwise, it's groundless. Especially when it takes next to no effort to click a link and see.

If I ever start a company, it's going to be called Glider Enterprises. Not because I care at all about hang gliding, but as a reference to a particular emergent pattern in a classic piece of software. Whenever I've needed a name and logo for my own commercial efforts in the past, that's what I've used. It's a company name, not a definition of content.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #1403
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I don't want to dogpile onto curtw, but I'll be doing it a little. Open Road Media has been around for about 7 years, and they've mainly been concentrated on acquiring genre author backlist. There are a number of SF & fantasy authors from the 30s through the present with their backlist at ORM, and also mysteries, thrillers, and westerns, as well as some long out of print best selling authors. A couple of years ago, they bought e-Reads, and they have at least 10K titles now. The freebie sale is over now, but if you're a genre reader who likes authors from 10-50 years ago, you might want to subscribe to their Early Bird Books email list, there's usually one or two SF/fantasy and mystery books on sale for $1.99 or $2.99 every day.

BTW, Small Beer Press publishes fantasy and literary works, and not books on brewing.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #1404
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Dark Eden by Chris Beckett is 99p at Amazon.co.uk today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Eden-C...2294108&sr=1-2

This is a repeat in the Daily Deal.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #1405
Ashartus
Enthusiast
Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Ashartus put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Aura
Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay is $3.99 at Kobo in Canada as their daily deal.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #1406
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams is on sale at Amazon for $1.99. It's the first book of the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy.

From what I understand Williams is starting a new trilogy set in Osten Ard soon.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:31 AM   #1407
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If I ever start a company, it's going to be called Glider Enterprises. Not because I care at all about hang gliding, but as a reference to a particular emergent pattern in a classic piece of software. Whenever I've needed a name and logo for my own commercial efforts in the past, that's what I've used. It's a company name, not a definition of content.
Hmmm... perchance a reference to John Conway's Game of Life AKA Life? I remember programming a version on a CP/M computer in the late 70's -- the sheer joy of constructing a scrolling interface.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #1408
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... perchance a reference to John Conway's Game of Life AKA Life? I remember programming a version on a CP/M computer in the late 70's -- the sheer joy of constructing a scrolling interface.
Got it in one! The logo design is the classic five-block form, pointing right, with the "outer" four blocks cut diagonally in half to streamline and accentuate the concept. I did a 3D animated version of it quite some time ago, but resorted to spinning it on its base because I couldn't get a "slide through the stages" cycle version I was happy with.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #1409
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
One for the UK buyers...

Stephen King's IT is currently down to 99p.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BKZW7C/
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #1410
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
One for the UK buyers...

Stephen King's IT is currently down to 99p.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BKZW7C/
Hopefully that hits Amazon US.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote